Sponsored

So this is why Ford has been sitting on th GT350

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I don't care about 1/4 mile performance either, but I don't think he is in the "profound minorty". No need to make childish snide comments just because his tastes differ from yours, end of the day it doesnt take a rocket scientist to look at the power and weight of the car and make a good educated guess how well it will do in terms of raw acceleration. Im not so sure why some folks are so set on seeing it on paper.

Agreed, 1/4 mile times are only a small part of the equation. Look at the challenger, It'll pull off good times, is no good at any other aspect.

1/4 mile is simply a measure of acceleration.
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Agreed, 1/4 mile times are only a small part of the equation. Look at the challenger, It'll pull off good times, is no good at any other aspect.

The challenger? Thing is a cow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1
But I must say that the camaro 1/4 @ 12.4 maybe competing with the 350 non R since we have no numbers yet. This must make the Mustang GT crowd a little concerned. Same weight and faster Camaro. What the hell will the Z/28 bring ? Just saying.
An MSRP of $80k?

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

It's a measure of acceleration from a dead stop, something you will never ever do on an actual race track, unless you count getting out of the hot pits

Sponsored

Bullitt2065

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
There will not be many if any enthusiasts who don't care about 1/4 mile stats.
I don't. It's fun to know how the car does, but at the end of the day, it being faster, or slower than anything else would in NO way affect my purchase decision.

My Bullitt does a 13.7. I could have easily bought something with a 5.0 that would have probably been a second quicker, but it wouldn't have been the car I wanted and it wouldn't have been nearly as fun. There's always going to be a quicker car, so for me, my purchase is never made by performance numbers.

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
I don't. It's fun to know how the car does, but at the end of the day, it being faster, or slower than anything else would in NO way affect my purchase decision.

My Bullitt does a 13.7. I could have easily bought something with a 5.0 that would have probably been a second quicker, but it wouldn't have been the car I wanted and it wouldn't have been nearly as fun. There's always going to be a quicker car, so for me, my purchase is never made by performance numbers.

I pretty much just use it to measure improvement like most people do with dyno's. After a round of mods, I'll go run to see how much it picked up. I don't get to hung up in the number, since I'm building it more for auto x and cruising duties. Still, low 12's from a NA gear banger isn't too shabby.

Plus, it's a fun way to blow off steam.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
When is the last time you heard anyone bark about a sports/performance car in terms of its time at Laguna Seca, VIR, or the like?
To answer your question, yes local motorsports fans/track day enthusiasts discuss those lap times (and other local tracks) times quite often. And not just magazine times posted by pros, but times that local hot shoes are doing. What car, what mods, what aero, what tires, etc etc. Based on those variables, you can get a decent idea of what is "fast" for the given driver/car. No one is out there racing others or taking home trophies, but lap times are discussed to bench mark ones own driving ability compared to others in similar cars. And then there are certain limits where fast is just plain fast, no matter what car you are in.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
This is what happens when we have months to wait for our highly anticipated cars to arrive. I'm retired and it's really bad with colder weather coming. I almost kicked the dog today .....just kidding.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
This is what happens when we have months to wait for out highly anticipated cars to arrive. I'm retired and it's really bad with colder weather coming. I almost kicked the dog today .....just kidding.
You promised madge youd hang on. Hows the hip in colder weather these days?

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
You promised madge youd hang on. Hows the hip in colder weather these days?
Hip is fine ( I'm only 63 ) but the tires loose grip the engine runs stronger in colder weather. Where the hell are my keys ?

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Who cares what the 1/4 mile of the GT350 is? The car wasn't designed to be a drag racer. Just buy it, drive the snot out of and measure the success of the car by the size of the grin on your face.
I care. I care because it represents a well documented benchmark for acceleration and let's me know what to expect vs. current and past cars.
Sponsored