Sponsored

So, my step-son wants to buy a Mustang.

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
He’s got a 2017 GT base model manual six speed in Magnetic picked out. Dealer asking $21,500, and it has almost 60 k miles with one owner.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? He really wants a Mustang. I guess because he loves mine.
Sponsored

evildronepilot

Freakobooster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 Race Red
It's not a horrible deal. You can get a newer base model Ecoboost for around the same price. Is this his first car? If so, I really wouldn't go GT, but that's just me. I had a 2015 Ecoboost as my first sportscar, and it was plenty fast for me.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Presuming your step son is under 20:

You can have lots of fun with a smaller, lighter car before you get into something that can ruin your day. I've recommended to several of my buddy's that a great first car would be a used BRZ/FRS/86. Handles great, looks great, One of the few RWD 2-doors, gets great gas mileage, has great reliability, and ~200 Flywheel HP isn't enough to really get it out of hand. Then, as he gets better at driving it, there are always supercharger kits to make it go faster.

Unless he's got a more generous Dad that me, or has a heck of a great job, a V-8 with today's gas prices is pretty rough on a kid.

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I know I ahouldnt say anything buuuttt......if I had a gt that young I'd be in jail or in a hospital. I got my gt around 22 and there was still a severe stupidity curve I had to learn. These cars are no joke and one hard pull is a reckless driving charge.

IDK the deal itself doesn't seem terrible. Wish you all the best!

Sponsored

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
You can get in the same amount of trouble in any car really it’s all about whether he’s responsible enough or not. Then again this might not be his first performance car and for all we know his stepson could be in his late 20’s or older.

As for the car I wouldn’t call it a “deal” I’d say the price is reasonable for the miles year and trim. Now having said that there’s a few 2017 base performance package mustangs in my area for around 24000-25000 but with very low miles one even has 6000 miles on it.

At 60000 miles on the one he’s looking it at it’s time to look at what maintenance it might need. Possibly brakes, tires, rotors, fluid swaps, etc. And if it needs a lot of those items it might just be best to look for a bit more expensive one but with lower miles and no maintenance needs.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
A three year old car with 60k miles. I would say no unless you know the owner and have maintenance records. The price sounds good unless there are going to be significant maintenance costs coming up in the near future.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
He’s got a 2017 GT base model manual six speed in Magnetic picked out. Dealer asking $21,500, and it has almost 60 k miles with one owner.

Do you guys think this is a good deal? He really wants a Mustang. I guess because he loves mine.
You can get better deals than that. And the performance pack is worth the money especially used. The brakes and torsens diff are must have items for any sort of big boy driving...

Plus 60k miles is high miles for a new car. You literally are going to drop another 300.00 just in fluids, and it will need plugs, pads and a clutch more than likely. A clutch for these cars is pretty much 1000.00 just in parts...

Plus if your spending that kind of cheese just buy new you can get a brand new base 2019 with warranty in the low 30s. So an extra 50.00 per month and lower interest rates...

Honestly i don't see the point of buying any used car and financing it unless its

1. A GT350
2. has under 20k miles
3. You get a sub 3% APR which you just arent going to get on a used car...

So basically you'll be paying exactly the same payments per month on a car with no warranty and aging parts that you'll have to fix yourself...

No advantage with insurance either... Since it's financed u have to get full coverage.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Not knowing your kid, but remembered me at 16. No way a manual V8.
Agreed this car is too much car for a kid...

If you do get him it spend the extra money on some track days. Where they can teach him how to drive it. The s550 is way tamer than the s197 but its still a 400hp rwd monster.

I would recommend getting him a miata Or a FRS as a first car. Something he can rev the guts out of and learn how to tail slide and do stupid crap in thats cheap on tires, insurance and parts. Then once he hits 25 and has gotten some skills down and a few wrecks he can step up to a big boy car.

Buying the car isnt the hard part keeping it running is. Giving a 16 year old making 12/hr a car that costs 1500 for a set of tires when hes making 500/mth car payments and god knows how much in insurance is a recipe for failure.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Agreed this car is too much car for a kid...

If you do get him it spend the extra money on some track days. Where they can teach him how to drive it.

I would recommend getting him a miata Or a FRS as a first car.
OP, please tell us how old you stepson is. This way we can move on from whether the car is to much for him.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
$21.5 for a 2 year old GT with 60k don't sound like a bad deal to me.

Last edited:

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
You can get better deals than that. And the performance pack is worth the money especially used. The brakes and torsens diff are must have items for any sort of big boy driving...

Plus 60k miles is high miles for a new car. You literally are going to drop another 300.00 just in fluids, and it will need plugs, pads and a clutch more than likely. A clutch for these cars is pretty much 1000.00 just in parts...

Plus if your spending that kind of cheese just buy new you can get a brand new base 2019 with warranty in the low 30s. So an extra 50.00 per month and lower interest rates...

Honestly i don't see the point of buying any used car and financing it unless its

1. A GT350
2. has under 20k miles
3. You get a sub 3% APR which you just arent going to get on a used car...

So basically you'll be paying exactly the same payments per month on a car with no warranty and aging parts that you'll have to fix yourself...

No advantage with insurance either... Since it's financed u have to get full coverage.
I traded in my last gt with 65k or so. Was nowhere near needing clutch replaced. From reading here it seems these clutches last quite a while. Not sure on plugs, maybe but I never checked and car seemed running fine. I was starting to look in to pads but more so bc I figured 65k was a good run, not that there was any indication they were shot. The transmission and differential fluid kit from BG is only about 170 so unless planning on going farther, that's not a lot.

Not to mention 31 vs 21 is not 50 bucks a month. My credit union is currently offering 2.99 on used up to 36 months and 3.09 for up to 60 months

I'd say as long as nothing major were to break (obviously an unknown), it could be a good learning experience if son and OP are mechanically inclined and have the tools. Swapping fluids, changing brakes, removing/installing wheels all that kinda crap is good knowledge to have.

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
You can find new Ecoboosts for $24-$26K if you look hard enough.

The_Phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Price out insurance.

That alone could be the tale of the tape.
Sponsored