Sponsored

So my girlfriend made me watch signs with Mel Gibson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
OK so let me start with IM not a believer in faith and religion and all that. My girlfriend is and we co exist with out conflict because we honor and respect each others choices and beliefs with out pushing them on one another. Sunday comes and she goes to church and I work on my car and all is good. But every now and then she is um hey watch this with me. IM like ok what we watching. She tells me its a story about faith and how there is always a plan and god is steering you and you just dont know it and ... it has aliens. IM like ok :)

So we watch this movie and its not bad entertaining. She asks me what I though. I was are you sure you want to hear it? (she knows I have strong feeling son this topic). She says yes. OK disclaimer: I know this is a M night shyamalan movie with Mel Gibson. But with that said... Both of these men are religious and I am sure were making a point with the film. But my issue with religion and faith are very well illustrated with this film.

Anyway to my response. I said so basically god was trying to steer a father who had lost his way and lost his faith back to the correct path of faith by giving the main character signs he was unaware of to prove he was real and always there, or something like that? she said yes.

I said ok so in order to bring this man back to faith and back to the lord he... Killed his wife in a horrible accident, scared the poor man for life that killed her, has his son kill his own dog, gave his son asthma and health issue, his daughter a mental issue with being afraid of water and drinking it, his brother a laughing stock strike out king that got ridiculed, scared an entire planet with an invasion, had his house destroyed by boarding it up out of fear , his family attacked by aliens and put the family through emotion turmoil and fighting with each other questioning their love to the point the son wishes someone else was his father.... all to prove a point to one man? sounds like a loving god to me sounds more like bulling. she says yeah lets watch something else and dropped it.

My problem is most religious or faith based stories are all this way. Its always some form of bulling back to faith. Or making people completely suffer until they come back to god. Thats just bulling in my book.

Oh and another issue i had with it was in one part they say on the new after the aliens get there. Everyone is running to churches and their respective houses of prayer.... Um is not the fact that aliens just pulled up on your doorstep sorta a indicator that everything you believe is wrong when it comes to religion?
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
OK so let me start with IM not a believer in faith and religion and all that. My girlfriend is and we co exist with out conflict because we honor and respect each others choices and beliefs with out pushing them on one another. Sunday comes and she goes to church and I work on my car and all is good. But every now and then she is um hey watch this with me. IM like ok what we watching. She tells me its a story about faith and how there is always a plan and god is steering you and you just dont know it and ... it has aliens. IM like ok :)

So we watch this movie and its not bad entertaining. She asks me what I though. I was are you sure you want to hear it? (she knows I have strong feeling son this topic). She says yes. OK disclaimer: I know this is a M night shyamalan movie with Mel Gibson. But with that said... Both of these men are religious and I am sure were making a point with the film. But my issue with religion and faith are very well illustrated with this film.

Anyway to my response. I said so basically god was trying to steer a father who had lost his way and lost his faith back to the correct path of faith by giving the main character signs he was unaware of to prove he was real and always there, or something like that? she said yes.

I said ok so in order to bring this man back to faith and back to the lord he... Killed his wife in a horrible accident, scared the poor man for life that killed her, has his son kill his own dog, gave his son asthma and health issue, his daughter a mental issue with being afraid of water and drinking it, his brother a laughing stock strike out king that got ridiculed, scared an entire planet with an invasion, had his house destroyed by boarding it up out of fear , his family attacked by aliens and put the family through emotion turmoil and fighting with each other questioning their love to the point the son wishes someone else was his father.... all to prove a point to one man? sounds like a loving god to me sounds more like bulling. she says yeah lets watch something else and dropped it.

My problem is most religious or faith based stories are all this way. Its always some form of bulling back to faith. Or making people completely suffer until they come back to god. Thats just bulling in my book.

Oh and another issue i had with it was in one part they say on the new after the aliens get there. Everyone is running to churches and their respective houses of prayer.... Um is not the fact that aliens just pulled up on your doorstep sorta a indicator that everything you believe is wrong when it comes to religion?
To quote another Shymalan film, ā€œthey only see what they want to seeā€.

Meaning, the more religious might watch the film and see correlations with divine intervention at various points Eg. Child survives asthma attack (as if it were otherwise impossible). Theyā€™re primed to see correlations where they might not exist. Or, if something truly is ā€œunusual/unlikelyā€, they might attempt to fill the void of knowledge with their preferred conclusion

The non-believer probably just sees a bunch of random life events unfolding, ultimately followed by a man returning to his faith, despite being shown evidence that his holy book was wrong. To the non-believer, it simply looks like the believer doesnā€™t care for facts when they donā€™t align with doctrine.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
I typically don't put much thought in to the point of movies, but that does sum it up well.

I hadn't seen that movie in a long time and somewhat fairly recently it came on and I got sucked in. I still thought it was pretty intense and well written with all the suspense. Especially revolving around the slow method of the alien reveal.

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
A movie or TV is the last place I would search for answers to any question I may have in life about any subject.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
A movie or TV is the last place I would search for answers to any question I may have in life about any subject.
Exactly. When an atheist looks at humans for answers, heā€™s just not interested in knowing the truth. Looking at movies produced by and books written by humans is the worse possible place to start.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Exactly. When an atheist looks at humans for answers, heā€™s just not interested in knowing the truth. Looking at movies produced by and books written by humans is the worse possible place to start.
Like the bible? Written by humans. Just saying.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
OK. You have your beliefs and your right to them :)
10 4 on that, and I wouldn't attempt to change what you beliefs are.

It would be like you thinking you could change my beliefs. Seems alot of people think it is their job to make everyone believe what they believe, then they get upset when you don't.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

It would be like you thinking you could change my beliefs. Seems alot of people think it is their job to make everyone believe what they believe, then they get upset when you don't.
Yes sir, it why me and my girl co exsist. She does her thing I do mine. We been doing great for 20 plus years. Im all for respecting others beliefs as long as they respect mine. But we know most dont. :)

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase

Maybe some do as you say they do.
Personally, I donā€™t aim to change a persons beliefs as much as to challenge them when they think I should care about their beliefs.

Example:
Reagan Escude recently cited her religious beliefs as adequate reason to be a homophobe.
Cool. What if someone else has an imaginary friend who thinks all homophobes should be treated as lesser people?
Now we have a situation where two people are arguing over which of them has the more righteous imaginary friend and frankly, I donā€™t care what either of them think.
This is precisely why freedom OF religion goes hand in hand with freedom FROM religion.
You have the freedom to believe whatever you choose, everybody else has the freedom to not care about those religious beliefs and challenge them when they interfere with other people.

Last edited:

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, you will literally do anything for sex? :like:
Iā€™m still trying to work out who youā€™re replying to with that comment.
If youā€™re referring to the OP, it seems that heā€™s willing to endure religious and superstitious ideas. More power to him if thatā€™s the case. I couldnā€™t do it.
If youā€™re referring to me, as a heterosexual male I will kindly decline your expression of interest.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Iā€™m still trying to work out who youā€™re replying to with that comment.
If youā€™re referring to the OP, it seems that heā€™s willing to endure religious and superstitious ideas. More power to him if thatā€™s the case. I couldnā€™t do it.
If youā€™re referring to me, as a heterosexual male I will kindly decline your expression of interest.

One of the greatest mysteries on earth is why you think anyone has any interest in you for any reason. Seriously, it is like you do not exist.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
It's only a movie
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.