Sponsored

so many used 2020 GT500's are for sale now...seems odd to me, 76 of them posted on Autotrader alone.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Its 2 different cars. Aimed at 2 different markets. I LOVE the unique look of the GT350 - prior to 500 being released, i was teetering between boosted GT350 or a 997.1.... But every single one of my Ford friends said wait for the 500 - this is prior to the actual factual release of the 500 - They knew what I wanted the car for.

Thats the big point here, Where are they aiming with these 2 cars. A majority of people are cars and coffee only ( both models)and the majority of users claiming its overpriced or lacks a manual. Some are weekend road racers. Some are very very active road racers. Some are weekend drag racers, some are very very active drag racers...

And yes, $$$$ does play a part, the price point of the 350, is phenominal, or at least was when I followed it. The price point of the 500 eliminates by default, a HUGE portion of would-be buyers.

The more to the right, or more aggressive one is with their hobby, the more the need for the 500. The need to have the latest and greatest, most powerful most technologically infused option

Focul point being, line up those area's and id bet 9/10 have the car they want for the purpose they intend to use it for.
Sponsored

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Having a GT350, which I bought as a stop gap way back in 2017, because I wanted the next GT500 (after having owned both a 2003 Cobra, a 13 and a 14 GT500), I read these threads with great interest.

I love the GT350 far more than I ever dreamed possible. But I loved my '03 Cobra, and the GT500s too, albeit the GT500s not quite as much as the 03 or the GT350.

I'm lucky I guess, so far, my GT350 uses no oil and has been perfect (knock on wood). I fear if I get rid of it for a 500 I'll miss it and want it back. I don;t want to have a GT500 on autotrader...

I could stretch and have a GT850 in the garge (both), but that seems a little silly given how little I'd drive each.

Looking at the videos on the web, first, the GT500 dash looks like shit to me. I get it, I'm old, but I like the dials of the GT350. The round surrounds of the bar graphs on the 500 look hokey as shit to me. Then there's the sound, the GT350 kills the GT500, at least to my ears. Then there's shifting. I get it that a computer can shift way better than me. BUT, again, what's the point?

Yes, the GT500 is faster, I'm a reformed (mostly) drag racer so I do love straight line accleration, but again, I like to have skill required to achieve it. GT500 shifts itself, so....

As far as road courses, yes the GT500 is faster, but the GT350 is more than fast enough to kill me in the event of a mishap, so again, do I really need to be going that much faster? is there a trophy for a better lap time at an HPDE?

I'm just pefecting heel toeing, do I want to give up and lose that skill forever?

At the moment, based on what I can tell, I'm sticking wth the GT350.

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Heritage Shelby GT350, 2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak(on Res)
Both cars are sick...and rewatching Ford VS Ferrari (for the millionth time) made be proud to have any Mustang or Shelby. The 350 vs 500 was probably an argument had in Shelbys own shop lol. I could see Ken Miles loving the 350 and Carroll saying more power... give me the 500! Either way if you love Mustangs the answer is one of each please! I think the video below is a little of all of us.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
The difference in the 60's was that the GT500 was a flat out pig. Having built couple of FE engines (iron intake alone was ~100 lbs) I can attest to the boat anchor up front feel you got in that car. Fun on the street or strip, the 60's era GT500's were worse than awful when it came to braking or turning.

Times have changed and thank God. The 500 is now everything the 350 was graced with and more.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Its 2 different cars. Aimed at 2 different markets. I LOVE the unique look of the GT350 - prior to 500 being released, i was teetering between boosted GT350 or a 997.1.... But every single one of my Ford friends said wait for the 500 - this is prior to the actual factual release of the 500 - They knew what I wanted the car for.

Thats the big point here, Where are they aiming with these 2 cars. A majority of people are cars and coffee only ( both models)and the majority of users claiming its overpriced or lacks a manual. Some are weekend road racers. Some are very very active road racers. Some are weekend drag racers, some are very very active drag racers...

And yes, $$$$ does play a part, the price point of the 350, is phenominal, or at least was when I followed it. The price point of the 500 eliminates by default, a HUGE portion of would-be buyers.

The more to the right, or more aggressive one is with their hobby, the more the need for the 500. The need to have the latest and greatest, most powerful most technologically infused option

Focul point being, line up those area's and id bet 9/10 have the car they want for the purpose they intend to use it for.
Much of what you said here clicks with me and my intense deliberation on buying a 500.....paralysis by analysis.

I no longer drag race at all (I lived at the strip back in the early to mid '90s), and never have or likely will never do any road racing. Basically for me it's just pleasure driving, and to that end my lowly GT hasn't even traveled 10K miles in the near five years of ownership (motorcycles are my #1 fair weather obsession). I keep thinking back to when I had my modded '07 GT500 and never being able to USE that power on public roads; it's the same situation with my GT, really.

But the want is there. Yet I fear I'd drive the 500 even less, like my '07. The cost delta keeps whispering in my ear to just buy some more real estate. Ack. When did I become so practical?

Beyond those people just wanting to flip their 500 for profit only (a fair percentage, I'd wager), I wonder if a few buyers are just thinking of other uses for that jing they have tied up in a car they never drive and can't fully utilize unless they get a racing monkey on their back. Or maybe the overall quality wasn't what they were expecting for the money....

Last edited:

Sponsored

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
The elephant in the room. Check out cars.com Carfax reports .Several GT350‘s with over 40,000 miles have had their engine replaced. Not heard of any GT500 with oil consumption problems leading to engine issues. Just saying it’s an Issue that causes some people to avoid a used 350. The 2020 350 second generation voodoo has changes made to address these issues. Same block as the GT500 interesting . I’d buy either 2020 and enjoy.
I really like the heritage 350 for 2020.
Gen 2 motors also have failures. That is the biggest fallacy on the internet. Gen 1 or Gen 2, both have reported issues. What people fail to understand is that the majority of these Voodoos are problem free.

Also, it has been well documented that the new GT500 has its own issues from the factory. So let’s not pretend it’s a perfectly built car either.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
So let’s not pretend it’s a perfectly built car either.
<smiling>

Dom: I think it's a safe bet that no one here would ever try to sell that "perfectly built" business.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
<smiling>

Dom: I think it's a safe bet that no one here would ever try to sell that "perfectly built" business.
IDK by the responses I’m reading the car was delivered down from the heavens! Lol
It’s amazing how immature men can be I have to say. A poor display from both sides when we are all on the same team.

Sponsored

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Gen 2 motors also have failures. That is the biggest fallacy on the internet. Gen 1 or Gen 2, both have reported issues. What people fail to understand is that the majority of these Voodoos are problem free.

Also, it has been well documented that the new GT500 has its own issues from the factory. So let’s not pretend it’s a perfectly built car either.
can you point me to the issues a lot of GT500 owners have to worry about. Im only aware of 1 bad batch of valves springs (still single digit confirmed issues) , and the rear camera wiring.

For a 1st generation ( not accurate since 5.2 has plenty of time as a voodoo and put through paces as a cobrajet) I dont see much needed yet, certainly not as cautious as the voodoo's had to be

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Love the 500, please dont get me wrong. That being said, it just was not unique enough for me. It has extra HP, but the Hellcats have more. It can handle, but the ZL1 1LE does that too. The 500 is an amazing looking Mustang, but for me it lacked the special factor the 350 has. This is by no means a 350 vs 500 thing. What you like, is the most important thing for you. I do beleive many people wanted the supposed latest greatest Mustang, and were left with a .... is that it feeling.
Hellcat might have more HP but the redeye is a few cars slower than the 500 on the street and it can’t handle for shit. ZL1 1le handles but they’re slow. I had the 350 and compared to the 500, it’s night and day. I wouldn’t even look back at a 350. I did like the design of the 350 more though. They should have done more in the interior at least, it’s just a plain ol mustang inside.

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
can you point me to the issues a lot of GT500 owners have to worry about. Im only aware of 1 bad batch of valves springs (still single digit confirmed issues) , and the rear camera wiring.

For a 1st generation ( not accurate since 5.2 has plenty of time as a voodoo and put through paces as a cobrajet) I dont see much needed yet, certainly not as cautious as the voodoo's had to be
They have reported issues. Now nothing bad enough blow a motor but inexcusable at any rate.

kinked hoses, improperly routed lines, fit and fitment issues, valve spring issues. Look through the forum, I’m not going to spell them out. They are in the minority just like the voodoo failures are in the minority.

The point of my original response is the voodoo failures are rare and overall it is a reliable motor. think I read something like 1% which is not bad considering how many thousands were made.
Sponsored