So is this just my life now?

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I've always beat a plaid on the track. But on the street it can definitely be a challenge, but of course it would have to have the right settings setup already in the plaid to be a threat.
Sponsored

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I have to say I cannot believe many folks seem to be obsessed with beating what is essentially an overgrown golf cart. Who cares? Race a real car if you like then come talk to me...

From 0-30 an ostrich can outrun a thoroughbred quarter horse but who cares? Why even encourage EV owners to believe they own real cars that ICE car owners give 2 flips about? Iā€™m sorry but I just donā€™t get it.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
It is though, you're taking what I said out of context. Obviously aerodynamic drag reduces performance for everyone above 60, but electric motors lose efficiency as their RPM climbs, so without at least a 2 speed gearbox, the performance for an EV with a good amount of horsepower still falls off harder than a performance gas engine car does in that range. Given the cost of adding that extra complexity to an already expensive product, post 60 spunk is going to be locked behind those higher price points for a while to come.

Also, I think stuff like the Plaid and the Taycan are very impressive for sure, but in the grand scheme of things you're overhyping them a little bit. Lithium Polymer batteries have come a long way, but the energy density of gasoline is still a lot higher. So you'll always be able to make more power using gasoline for the foreseeable future. 152mph in the 1/4 is nothing to sneeze at, but I have yet to see any electric cars in the 7's....
I never overhyped or even hyped anything at all. I stated exactly what I saw on videos of them racing. And I stated exactly what their stats are. And then I mentioned the type of money it would take to beat or even reach that level at which case you wouldn't even have a warranty. There was no hyping.

I have to say I cannot believe many folks seem to be obsessed with beating what is essentially an overgrown golf cart. Who cares? Race a real car if you like then come talk to me...

From 0-30 an ostrich can outrun a thoroughbred quarter horse but who cares? Why even encourage EV owners to believe they own real cars that ICE car owners give 2 flips about? Iā€™m sorry but I just donā€™t get it.
Yea yea yea, go race one then.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Yea yea yea, go race one then.
Go race one then? I think you may be responding to something I never said or even implied.

I drive a car. Why would I want to race something that is more akin to my refrigerator than my car? Other than 4 wheels on both, thereā€™s little to compare between the two. Might as well duct tape my toaster oven to a mechanicā€™s creeper and race that.

Hopefully that clears up my thoughts re: EVs.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Go race one then? I think you may be responding to something I never said or even implied.

I drive a car. Why would I want to race something that is more akin to my refrigerator than my car? Other than 4 wheels on both, thereā€™s little to compare between the two. Might as well duct tape my toaster oven to a mechanicā€™s creeper and race that.

Hopefully that clears up my thoughts re: EVs.
Watch it, there are some pretty fast toasters out there ..............so I'm told

LMAO great post

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
And this technology is just now becoming mainstrea, yet it already takes a highly modded GT500 to match a stock Plaid. Imagine where things will be in 5 years from now.
In five years these things will be nowhere.
It's a couple hundred years that electric motors are around and they didn't change much. Good for stationary applications, not so much for mobility (except trains...), EVs are nothing new, it's 10 years since Tesla made their first "mainstream car".

If the technology were better, the transition didn't needed to be forced, incentivized and their competitor killed artificially....
It may be good on little numbers, when things begin to scale that's a different story...

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In five years these things will be nowhere.
It's a couple hundred years that electric motors are around and they didn't change much. Good for stationary applications, not so much for mobility (except trains...), EVs are nothing new, it's 10 years since Tesla made their first "mainstream car".

If the technology were better, the transition didn't needed to be forced, incentivized and their competitor killed artificially....
It may be good on little numbers, when things begin to scale that's a different story...
In 5 years they will be EVERYWHERE. In the past 5 years alone I've gone from seeing 1 a week to now seeing about 20 one way on my commute. More and more people are buying them. In 5 years gas powered vehicles will be scarce.

The problem with you and people like you is you cling to passion instead of seeing things for what they are. EVs are going to hit hard among young people. You guys call them "toasters" or "refridgerators" or whatever name you can think of like it's an insult. But look at it from a young person's perspective. It IS an appliance. An appliance that has tons of cool features and that you can drive. This is the age of technology and the more advance an item is, the more popular and desired it will be. And these "toasters" will just about spank every gas powered vehicle on the road. And they'll have cool uploads to make them faster and more powerful and open up even more features and apps. Pretty soon a vehicle is gonna be some kind of hub you can plug in and chill in. Like an arcade on wheels. These kids coming up won't give a crap about loud exhausts or anything that current cars have to offer. They'll get in what will then be an archaic relic and it'll be boring to them and loud and nasty fumes and slow and it'll be like how you look at a carb'd engine from the 70s. Times are changing very fast. And the upcoming Generation is going to flock to EVs because they will be cool and new.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In 5 years they will be EVERYWHERE. In the past 5 years alone I've gone from seeing 1 a week to now seeing about 20 one way on my commute. More and more people are buying them. In 5 years gas powered vehicles will be scarce.

The problem with you and people like you is you cling to passion instead of seeing things for what they are. EVs are going to hit hard among young people. You guys call them "toasters" or "refridgerators" or whatever name you can think of like it's an insult. But look at it from a young person's perspective. It IS an appliance. An appliance that has tons of cool features and that you can drive. This is the age of technology and the more advance an item is, the more popular and desired it will be. And these "toasters" will just about spank every gas powered vehicle on the road. And they'll have cool uploads to make them faster and more powerful and open up even more features and apps. Pretty soon a vehicle is gonna be some kind of hub you can plug in and chill in. Like an arcade on wheels. These kids coming up won't give a crap about loud exhausts or anything that current cars have to offer. They'll get in what will then be an archaic relic and it'll be boring to them and loud and nasty fumes and slow and it'll be like how you look at a carb'd engine from the 70s. Times are changing very fast. And the upcoming Generation is going to flock to EVs because they will be cool and new.
Lol, I don't think you quite understand the scale of the transportation industry. Even if every car maker switched tomorrow to only electric production (impossible with current resources), it would take decades for every gas car to hit obsolescence without some sort of government mandate. Hundreds of millions of gas cars out there, and the average age is 12 years old.

I also don't really care what kids want, when they have no money it's hard to sell them a 60k vehicle that they cant even charge at their apartment. If anything, ride share is the future at this rate.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Times are changing very fast. And the upcoming Generation is going to flock to EVs because they will be cool and new.
I totally agree with your bell bottoms analogy.

Sponsored

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Pretty soon a vehicle is gonna be some kind of hub you can plug in and chill in. Like an arcade on wheels.
Yeah, sure. I think you don't really grasp how complicated the human mind is. What it looks like a simple activity (i.e. driving) is indeed extremely complex and thinking that this can be automated by some "artificial intelligence" by the time of our lives is completely unreasonable.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, sure. I think you don't really grasp how complicated the human mind is. What it looks like a simple activity (i.e. driving) is indeed extremely complex and thinking that this can be automated by some "artificial intelligence" by the time of our lives is completely unreasonable.
And 25 years ago having a device that can make phone calls, stream videos, text, go online, give you step by step directions, tell you how to bake a cake, wake you up at 230 AM, hold appointments in a scheduler, play games, and do complex calculations while weighing a couple hundred grams and fitting in your pocket and holding enough battery power to last an entire day was unheard of. Yet here we are with cellphones that are soo common that we barely even think about how much they can do anymore. You think we can't accomplish similarly incredible leaps or even more drastic leaps in another 25 years? If so then you're the one who is unreasonable. There are groups of techs who work on this stuff non-stop and companies investing mega bucks into advancing technology. In 25 years people probably won't even care about times when you got into a car, started it, pulled into a gas station, filled it up, and drove it to work. They'll be looking at our tech today like we look at the Atari or desktop computers from the 70s. They'll wonder how we weren't bored to death with our relatively limited tech and this will be like the dark ages to them.

You need to remember, this community, the car enthusiast community, makes up an insignificant portion of all car sales. No matter what a hardcore enthusiast of gas powered vehicles says or thinks, you NEED a car. They could stop producing and selling gas powered cars right now and every tough guy stating how they will never buy an EV will be at a dealership buying a "toaster on wheels" tomorrow. If you think for a second that EVs are gonna slow their march to transportation dominance then you are very misguided.

2020VUDU

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
My experience involves mostly other mustang drivers. However, I donā€™t give anyone satisfaction to race me of the line. I just pretend that Iā€™m not racing them, and then when Iā€™m in higher RPM range; ready, set, go. This happens very rarely, though.

Unless your pony has TT, or SC, you will loose to quite a few cars from initial start. itā€™s another story on a track.

I didnā€™t buy this car to race people on the streets, or taking it to race circuits. Got my mustang for driving enjoyment.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I am all for modern tech but if you want a serious fleet of EVs you better find a better way to produce tones of cheap power, get ready to mine more minerals than have ever been mined in history, prepare for more intense car crashes and deaths as EVs are very heavy and then work out what to do with the old batteries. Second hand cars will be nearly worthless as the buyer will need to soon replace the battery and as mentioned, disposal of old batteries is a problem all itā€™s own. Batteries are a very inefficient means of storing power. Hydrogen is the only real solution for the future.

Last edited:

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My experience involves mostly other mustang drivers. However, I donā€™t give anyone satisfaction to race me of the line. I just pretend that Iā€™m not racing them, and then when Iā€™m in higher RPM range; ready, set, go. This happens very rarely, though.

Unless your pony has TT, or SC, you will loose to quite a few cars from initial start. itā€™s another story on a track.
All because they're faster than you? So if they were slower then would you still do all this?

I didnā€™t buy this car to race people on the streets, or taking it to race circuits. Got my mustang for driving enjoyment.
I find it funny that when people race and beat faster (stock to stock) or more expensive cars then it's all talk about how they embarrassed the guy or they beat a car that costs over twice as much. But when the discussion is about a faster car that a person can't beat then it turns into how they bought the car for their own enjoyment and they don't care who is faster than them. You make these statements but here we are in the VS section.
Sponsored