So is this just my life now?

DUFF TT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Twin Turbo
It seems to happen to me when traffic conditions make any kind of messing around very risky, so I don't engage. I like hearing other cars rev and drive-by, though. That's a big part of the reason I bought a highly modified car; I want it to attract other car people so we can have a conversation about cars. My car sounds somewhat stock until you hear the turbos, so I get a lot of cars that think they have a shot until I spool, then they realize they've bitten off more than they can chew. Then I spin through four gears and they probably wonder why I'm running 20s in the rear...
Sponsored

1958cyclist

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2016 Focus ST, 2017 Mustang GT
Shades, I’m one of those old guys but I’m also a realist, and I do know the difference between SAE gross and net. I know because I lived it.

We all know what a bone stock S550 GT will do on a good day, whether a 435, 460 or 450 hp version. In the right hands 1/4 mile times around 12 seconds approaching 119 mph aren’t unrealistic. Then take a look at what the very best bone stockers of the late 60s had to offer: ‘68 Vette 427 3x2 435 hp = 13.30@108; ‘70 Hemi Cuda=13.10@107. And the list goes on, but it pretty much goes downhill from there. And don’t tell me about tires because that’s still true today.

Look, I was there and I loved those days. Those cars had an immediacy and certain brutality about them that goes unmatched. My ‘66 Tri-Power GTO honestly sounded like it might suck a Piper Cub out of the sky. I often miss those days and those cars. But the truth is that for at least a short time going forward anyway, the golden age of fast, affordable factory cars is right now. Get one or two while you can!
Wholeheartedly agree!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Menomonee Falls. My wife and I went to dinner tonight, nothing fancy just Olive Garden. I checked the parking lot, there were no cars, 27 SUVs and 8 pickups. Incredible!
yep, just the kind that will jump on the EV wagon... it's just a utilitarian point a to point b thing...

Davez17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Lightning Blue
Really surprised that the cj was that fast with a 3.00 in the rear
They came stock with a 3.50 and 3.90 and 4.30 ( drack pack super cobra jet) were optional
The time/speed you list (for a stock engine) and 3.00 are not realistic
Below is a picture of my 69 “R” code
4758548C-7A6E-47CC-8D43-41582E8F535C.jpeg
That is a really cool picture. Time does fly faster then we wish.

Really good air and a low DA helped that CJ run strong. MY dads 428 has a very small roller cam and rockers. 10.2:1 CR. The cam is close to what stock CJ cam specs are. We were shooting for 400hp with the rebuild, as that is what a stock CJ makes on the dyno. 335hp rating was total BS for the day. Lots of research shows CJ's during factory testing in the late 60's were running low 14's to high 13's with 3.00, 3.25 and 3.50 rear gears. Some of those test were in the heavier Torino. Low 14's is very respectable for 50 plus years ago. Just don't ask these cars to turn. They just laugh and keep going straight!

My car ran 3 tenths faster than normal that day (because of the really low -300 ft DA). So I say a low 14's is reasonable on a normal track.

OP
OP
AvalancheSVT

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
That is a really cool picture. Time does fly faster then we wish.

Really good air and a low DA helped that CJ run strong. MY dads 428 has a very small roller cam and rockers. 10.2:1 CR. The cam is close to what stock CJ cam specs are. We were shooting for 400hp with the rebuild, as that is what a stock CJ makes on the dyno. 335hp rating was total BS for the day. Lots of research shows CJ's during factory testing in the late 60's were running low 14's to high 13's with 3.00, 3.25 and 3.50 rear gears. Some of those test were in the heavier Torino. Low 14's is very respectable for 50 plus years ago. Just don't ask these cars to turn. They just laugh and keep going straight!

My car ran 3 tenths faster than normal that day (because of the really low -300 ft DA). So I say a low 14's is reasonable on a normal track.
stuff like this is why i got this car. my cobra was too much for the whole family to enjoy. the GT has enough room and isn't so modified that i'm always paranoid about things going wrong.

Sponsored

babrams3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT C/S Manual FBO
Yeah...s550's are hot with teens nowadays so go figure. I mostly get ran up on by modded BMW's and Inifinitis that sound like crackling shotgun pops. I try to separate myself from that jargon, not my crowd

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL

Sponsored

geezer stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt,base
coming home from a long road trip and this s197 (pre 2010) follows me for a while. not like creepy or annoying, i just noticed it. after a while he comes up beside me, revs, and keeps doing this kind of "lets go" with a big smile on his face. black mustang license plat BAD PNY. traffic was just way too dense and i was too tired to wanna play.

so... does this happen to you guys a lot?
i've had cool cars a lot in my life and this is legit the first time that's happened.
chargers and challengers will always throw a rev or two at you!

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
There is always "this one Honda" that gets in my way. Some of them are pretty pretty snippy and fast (!), but I don't play that game. Or sometimes those beefed up KIAs. Pretty fast too. Those kids inside will do anything to win the "race", hence I stay clear of them. Or Porsche SUVs, also pretty fast. I am still waiting for my Dodge Hellcat, I have only seen one so far, not many around in south Florida I guess. Geico lady told me they all come in with damaged fronts, from flooring it to taking a 90 degree turn into the wall perhaps?

BluePonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT Premium 6MT
Non stop. It drives me crazy.

When I first bought my GT a friend of my wife told me I was "brave". I asked her why?

"Because every crazy person is going to give you grief over that car, and you'll get a lot of tickets."

She was right about the first part.
Sponsored