Sponsored

So is the Fighter Jet Gray color a love it or hate it kind of thing?

W0rkH0rse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2017 Explorer Platinum
In my opinion it is a solid color but is probably too common. It is definitely better than white which to me makes a car nearly worthless.
I have a FJG and have yet to see another Mach 1 on the road in my area. I am in Metro Detroit, not the boonies. The only other Mach 1 I have seen is on a dealership lot. I know a couple FJG cars were sold from dealers in the area, but I have yet to see them on the road.
It seems like most of the Mach 1 owners on the forum own a FJG Mach 1.
When I am out, I get a lot of compliments on my car. A lot of comments are on the color and how cool it is.
That is my anecdotal data on the subject. Some areas may have a higher population of FJG Mach 1s. Not here.
Sponsored

aham23

FPC 5.2
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 FJG Mach 1 w/ HP
FJG is a color unique in the S550 line. When you see it there is no doubt that it is Mach 1. No other trim line in the 7.5 year S550 run has it. you cant say that about Eruption Green, Mischievous Purple, Grabber Blue and so on. Love that.

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I couldn't do FJG. I admit, every time I see a picture of a Mach 1 with the color I love how it looks. When I took one for a test drive, the direct sunlight made it look like a dirty baby blue. I ended up purchasing a shadow black mach to replace the same colored 19 GT I had.

South Dakota Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1
My first Mach1, after 3 red Mustang GT's the FJG is quite a change, I think as far as this generation Mach1 goes this will be the iconic color that will stand out to people.
Because it's a special order Mach1 the value hopefully holds firm 5-10 years from now.

Ralph Sizzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
1993 Mustang 5.0 LX HB -- 2022 Mach 1 HP FJG Elite
Yep, I have actually only seen two non hp Mach 1 in cali. I am so glad they are not common!
I live in the valley. I've been all over L.A. for work and have only seen 3 Mach 1's in the wild.

Sponsored

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
Apparently, there's another twin to my car within close distance to the tire shop I was at the other day. I ain't never seen it, but they had picture proof and thought I was the dude's son. Thankfully I have the TREMEC and the imposter has the 10A.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The Grays are a polarizing color; It interesting that i've seen a mix of FJG and Lead Foot Gray colors coming out on SUV's Jeeps, etc etc.. Almost like it's a "thing" now. I live it. I almost went with LFT on my 350, but the wife said no!

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
The Grays are a polarizing color; It interesting that i've seen a mix of FJG and Lead Foot Gray colors coming out on SUV's Jeeps, etc etc.. Almost like it's a "thing" now. I live it. I almost went with LFT on my 350, but the wife said no!
Is LFG the color Iā€™ve seen on other cars thatā€™s similar to FJG but a little darker?

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Colors are so subjective.. all that matters is if the owner likes it.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Is LFG the color Iā€™ve seen on other cars thatā€™s similar to FJG but a little darker?
yes,
here is an example that really pulled at me...that just looks badass....
1D51C2A4-154A-4144-A26C-E560E5811CC6.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
There's a couple things going on.

One is that flat grays became popular at the same time across many manufacturers that it did get a bit played out for a color that wasn't used very much in the past. Another is that the color is close to paint primer and that makes it feel perhaps unfinished. And for the Mach 1 specifically, that they bound a special option to that color meant that a lot of dealers ordered it and so I'm assuming the build numbers are going to be way higher for that color than any other.

Everyone has a color they hate. For me, it's black. I hate the impracticality of it (it's always dirty), it's always hot in the sun, it hides body features.

I happen to like the gray colors myself though. They tend to show off a vehicles lines very well. I had a Stealth Gray Focus RS for a bit and was pleased with it.

But it's whatever the owner (or buyer) likes that matters in the end.

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
I might like it better with a different name. Or if someone at Ford could explain what fighter jet they had in mind when they named this color.
I've been an airplane nerd since before I could drive, then I joined the Air Force...

It's not the air superiority gray of an F-15C or F-16, or anything the Navy flies.
Nellis F-16s 0079.jpeg

It's not the dark gray of an F-15E.
F-15E Strike Eagle 10.jpg

It bugged me, so I searched the internet until I found some fighter jets about the right color.
It seems to be a color of the "People's Liberation Army Naval Air Force". šŸ™
Shenyang J-8B interceptors.jpg
1671060450786.jpeg

J-15, People's Liberation Army Naval Air Force.jpg

Dammit, Ford... šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø

All the more reason I wish someone at Ford would explain what they were thinking.
Were they really thinking of an American plane, and then the color got watered-down?

Last edited:

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
...All the more reason I wish someone at Ford would explain what they were thinking.
Were they really thinking of an American plane, and then the color got watered-down?
They were thinking "cactus", but then someone from Mustang division realized that it was not projecting power and torque enough :).
Sponsored