Sponsored

So is the Fighter Jet Gray color a love it or hate it kind of thing?

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
While I really like the FJG on the M1, I think where Ford did wrong was to allow the color to be used on their other products, where in now - it's not such a "unique" color at all.
If you consider that the color is officially called "Cactus Gray" in Ford system (my car is in ETIS identified as having "Cactus Gray" color), this must be one of those "we have no idea what we are doing" Ford moments. Could be interesting to hear the inside story on this, but I guess we won't get that privilege.
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If you consider that the color is officially called "Cactus Gray" in Ford system (my car is in ETIS identified as having "Cactus Gray" color), this must be one of those "we have no idea what we are doing" Ford moments. Could be interesting to hear the inside story on this, but I guess we won't get that privilege.
Nameless colors are selected based on how they look on a product. Then "someone" else sticks name(s) on them mainly for marketing.

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Historically, I liked darker grays, but FJG looks good, especially clean and shiny in the sun (as do most colors LOL). I think my one "issue" is that there seems to be a lot of them, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Historically, I liked darker grays, but FJG looks good, especially clean and shiny in the sun (as do most colors LOL). I think my one "issue" is that there seems to be a lot of them, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Again, if you consider the entire 521 unit production of 1965 Shelby GT350s to by definition be a ā€œlotā€ then thereā€™s a lot of white/blue cars.

So when you think of an early GT350, what color immediately comes to mind? And does it seem overused or does it rather seem iconic?

Sponsored

2021 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Again, if you consider the entire 521 unit production of 1965 Shelby GT350s to by definition be a ā€œlotā€ then thereā€™s a lot of white/blue cars.

So when you think of an early GT350, what color immediately comes to mind? And does it seem overused or does it rather seem iconic?
It seems iconic. Maybe proportionately more would have been more appropriate. Apologies.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems iconic. Maybe proportionately more would have been more appropriate. Apologies.
No need!

Itā€˜s a fun discussion and everybodyā€™s opinion counts.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I'm jumping in to page 5 here...

I don't like the non colors - white black gray silver bronze etc. Especially for a sports car where I can be forgiven for my choice. My 2016 Mustang was triple yellow, and I traded it for my current Orange Fury. I tell people that it's Outrageous Orange.

But I do think the "enamel" light gray looks good on chargers and Audis.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger

I think of the GT350-H. That is iconic and has much more lore around it. You asked opinions on FJG. It was over used. Still a nice color but will not be worth anymore than any other mach 1 in 40 years unless you have M001 in your possession

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
I originally ordered a grabber blue '22 but as the delays kept mounting along with parts shortages I picked up a '21 in fighter jet gray. I also became less enamored with how the grabber blue looked with the rest of the Mach 1 decals over time. FJG and twister orange were my first pics, but with orange unavailable I picked up a FJG. I think the decals and orange highlights go well with the color and it does look better in person and different in each light. In some light it is medium gray and others a white and in some a mint green. There's a reason it's called cactus gray on the Bronco. It is disappointing that it is the most common color but I've only seen 3 other Mach 1's in KY: Black, white and FJG. One was at an autocross and the other was a car show so all of these cars are uncommon in the wild. Looking back, now that I've seen actual eruption green cars, it's another color I would consider. FJG does help my OCD with swirls and dust and dirt.

Sponsored

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
That would explain the hint of green I am seeing in it!

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I originally ordered a grabber blue '22 but as the delays kept mounting along with parts shortages I picked up a '21 in fighter jet gray. I also became less enamored with how the grabber blue looked with the rest of the Mach 1 decals over time. FJG and twister orange were my first pics, but with orange unavailable I picked up a FJG. I think the decals and orange highlights go well with the color and it does look better in person and different in each light. In some light it is medium gray and others a white and in some a mint green. There's a reason it's called cactus gray on the Bronco. It is disappointing that it is the most common color but I've only seen 3 other Mach 1's in KY: Black, white and FJG. One was at an autocross and the other was a car show so all of these cars are uncommon in the wild. Looking back, now that I've seen actual eruption green cars, it's another color I would consider. FJG does help my OCD with swirls and dust and dirt.
Totally agree on the swirls and dirt. Heck Iā€™ll be glad just to be done with the slingage everywhere from the cheap tire dressing over applied by the dealer at delivery.

Iā€˜m beginning to realize just how uncommon these cars actually are, color notwithstanding. I was cruising very slowly at Home Depot last week near the door when a guy walked in front of me and literally stopped walking and stared down at my car long enough that people behind me started blowing horns.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
You know, I donā€™t put that fine a point on it myself. It was available in stock 30 minutes from my house at the exact moment the trade bug hit me and I got a fair deal on it, so bam! Like I said, I liked it OK and after seeing it really popping all shined up I do pretty much love it. But I could probably live with most any color except MP. That oneā€™s a non starter for me.

I do admit to thinking that in days and years to come the FJG appearance package cars will be the ones in the current run thought of as iconic and somewhat defining this run, kinda like the white/blue 65/66 GT 350s. I believe ā€œoverusedā€ will eventually become defining. Yeah, you could get other colors in 66 but the white/blue cars define it for me. I found that more important than being crazy about the FJG color to start but thatā€™s moot now that Iā€™m all about it.
Yeah, I certainly think FJG will remain the most desirable color for the foreseeable future. If it's so desirable now that 50% of buyers are choosing it, why wouldn't it continue to be? But in terms of resale value, I think that is made up for by decreased availability many times. There's a reason that yellow, for example, tends to be the color with the highest resale value on almost all cars where it's an available color. Used car buyers tend to be less boring than new car buyers šŸ˜œ.

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
Swirls are killing me!!!