Sponsored

So, I'm an idiot and crashed my '18 GT. Sell/Fix/jump out the window?

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Other than telling the insurance company that you were at the track. How would they be able to tell?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Lastly. Fatguy, you have a very successful thread where you've argued with back and forth with others for 200 pages. Please don't turn this into an argument thread. Thanks buddy.

No argument here as I pick my fights

To the op: If you feel you had a bad day then check out this poor guy who bought a 2 million dollar Bugatti and within a half an hour some old woman smashes into the car...

I’m sure he’s covered by her insurance...

https://pagesix.com/2019/06/04/trac...oman-who-hit-his-new-2-million-bugatti-video/

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
I’m not going to argue any of this. To each their own.
Fatguy- I don't understand something. Maybe as an insurance guy , you can explain. You suggested the OP can opt to not be truthful to the insurer. Now, I've never worked in the insurance business. Insurance companies are not stupid. Look at the pics of the OP's car. I can imagine something like this exchange occuring with the insurer. OP - I crashed my car somewhere. Anywhere except a race track. Fine. The insurer will look at the pics and probably be at least a little curious what the hell did the OP hit ? What is the condition of the object the OP's mustang hit ? Seems like a logical assumption to me.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Fatguy- I don't understand something. Maybe as an insurance guy , you can explain. You suggested the OP can opt to not be truthful to the insurer. Now, I've never worked in the insurance business. Insurance companies are not stupid. Look at the pics of the OP's car. I can imagine something like this exchange occuring with the insurer. OP - I crashed my car somewhere. Anywhere except a race track. Fine. The insurer will look at the pics and probably be at least a little curious what the hell did the OP hit ? What is the condition of the object the OP's mustang hit ? Seems like a logical assumption to me.

When I smashed my 5.0 I was spinning out of control and hit the guardrails twice, one at the front and one a the back which is kind of unusual. A cop showed up and pointed to non-existed damage to the guardrail - I pointed out the obvious and he withdrew it. Now they are trained to get damage confirmation from accident victims because those old guardrails are expensive so the government gets the cash from the insurance company and does. They just pocket the money in my case. So the cop is complicit in this form of insurance fraud. Think he is going to go to jail? The driver is so stunned by the accident he just goes along with it.

People lie about the accidents not so much for the insurance but for the cop statements. Technically fraud there I guess. If two people involved then both are lying - or stretching the truth to their advantage. It’s all bullshit and it is all the insurance company’s fault.

You pay for the insurance and they should pay out regardless. Then if the client is too much of a risk then jack up the rates big time or drop them. That is what it should be.

It should not be degrees of deception because that is what you get every time. At every accident the people will describe how it happens and there is always lies in the statement. Just go to traffic court and sit in on the “explanations”. Maybe the accident is typical but they were fiddling with their cellphone, are they going to own up to that? The steering wheel comes off and there is a crash - do the car companies own up for that because they are nice people?

I really was only was surprised he didn’t try to file a claim at first. Most do and then come up with an explanation if questioned. If he was a kid is he relegated to paying 5 years of car payments on a smashed up car? The kids pay though the nose anyway for car insurance because they are young and stupid - so... I just feel the insurers should pay anyway and then he takes the bus for six years. I think that is fair...

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Other than telling the insurance company that you were at the track. How would they be able to tell?
Pretty much all cars have a "black box" of sorts. Crash data recorder. It logs, how the car was driven, was TC off, excessive wheel slip, speed etc. Some will even log a GPS location. I'm not sure what all our cars have but I do know they have a crash data recorder.

OP. If you have the money, I'd find a fox body cheap and swap. Or a 15-17 and swap everything. Sucks about your car man. I know your pain.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
If he was a kid is he relegated to paying 5 years of car payments on a smashed up car? The kids pay though the nose anyway for car insurance because they are young and stupid - so... I just feel the insurers should pay anyway and then he takes the bus for six years. I think that is fair...
I see it differently if a kid can't afford the risks that come with racing or drifting a car or whatever they are doing then they shouldn't be doing it. A friend saw my car last night and suggested I should take it to a track. No way am I'm doing that if I put this car into a barrier it would be a total loss in all liklihood. Could I afford to recover from it I suspect so but I would be heartsick knowing what I had done. I just don't have the stomach for that.

The OP here seems like a standup guy to me. He's not here whining or asking for sympathy merely for help & I applaud him greatly for that. He's gotten some pretty good advice I'd say but to suggest he try to pull off an insurance fraud is in my view highly inappropriate. But hey its just my opinion :)

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I see it differently if a kid can't afford the risks that come with racing or drifting a car or whatever they are doing then they shouldn't be doing it. A friend saw my car last night and suggested I should take it to a track. No way am I'm doing that if I put this car into a barrier it would be a total loss in all liklihood. Could I afford to recover from it I suspect so but I would be heartsick knowing what I had done. I just don't have the stomach for that.

The OP here seems like a standup guy to me. He's not here whining or asking for sympathy merely for help & I applaud him greatly for that. He's gotten some pretty good advice I'd say but to suggest he try to pull off an insurance fraud is in my view highly inappropriate. But hey its just my opinion :)

Like I said.

Kids are immature and stupid. That is why they pay much higher rates. So when they do something stupid that was already factored in with their higher rates. So the insurer should pay.

So many people who never lie and have halos over their heads. Yah right! When it happens to them you will see something different.

As for gps? My car doesn’t have it. The black box? Inaccurate and private. The insurance companies should just pay out and adjust rates. That is how they get rid of most except organized insurance fraud at their end.

Or let me put it this way.

Insurance fraud was not part of the Ten Commandments so don’t act as if it’s some crime against humanity. It was made up by insurance companies to get out of paying claims. It can be changed and made irrelevant at will if they wish. The op didn’t want to crash - so - it was an accident in the end, which is why we have insurance. They should just increase rates more on performance cars.

Last edited:

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
I wouldn't take the internet advice of someone that suggest committing fraud to a level of making you a felon (at least in my State and I'm guessing 49 others) as gospel. Regardless of what his "thoughts" on being taken advantage of you run the risk and stress of having a felony placed on you.

The insurance company investigators are likely to turn over a HUGE binder worth of investigation, evidence, recorded statements and opinion over to whoever in your State investigates potential fraud cases. In our State these cases never go to trial because the evidence is so overwhelming the person takes a plea for insurance fraud. Jail time...unlikely but you still become a convicted felon.

One good way to turn your life upside down over something some person on the internet doesn't agree with.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
So many people who never lie and have halos over their heads. Yah right! When it happens to them you will see something different.
Two years ago my Fiesta got hit from behind because I stopped for a crossing walk at the rain and the guy behind me wasn't careful. I called my insurance company and asked should I call cops or will they cover the claim to my policy as the car behind me was in worse shape my insurance company said they will no need to call cops. Guess what happen the insurance company rejected my claim so I needed to pay for my car out of pocket. I was able to drive the car but the hit was much more severe than I anticipated so the car sat in the shop for 1 month. I obviously now have different insurance company for both my cars.

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Like I said.

Kids are immature and stupid. That is why they pay much higher rates. So when they do something stupid that was already factored in with their higher rates. So the insurer should pay.

I'm no insurance expert like you are but I'll go out on a limb here & say if the insurance company knew a stupid kid was going to do even more stupid stuff than than what they were likely to do the rates would no doubt reflect that. My point was the poor guy has it bad enough without winding up in handcuffs to boot. Its not a moral judgement on my part perse but more an evaluation of the risks that such an approach brings.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
So few people actually take their cars to the track we would only pay collectively 20 bucks extra a month to insure everyone for track events up to professional racing. I think that would be reasonable and make this whole discussion irrelevant. The op would get back a repaired car paid by insurance. These are performance cars and that is why you buy them so they should be insured for the purpose they were purchased for.

Twenty bucks! Ooooh scary...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Regarding insurance - I can see some of the points being made regarding “hey, I pay insurance, and have paid for X-years with never a claim - so I’m (or others are) entitled to (insert x here)....”

Reporting a claim as something other than what REALLY happened is fraud, period. There’s no “gray” area at all. People who do as such RAISE Insurance premiums for ALL of US.

So even though I or others may or may not have ever had any Insurance Claims - you certainly do notice when those annual rates go up, right? Well, it’s not only due to normal inflation, world-wide catastrophic events tapping the industries - but it’s every friggin instance of a perpetuated or “successful” FRAUD claim...

It’s totally absurd that anyone would even suggest this OP or any other person to tell a fib to claim it on their insurance...

I can see how folks hate Insurance or having to pay in and having rates jacked from circumstances beyond your control - but to suggest to anyone it’s “ok” just because “the man” is sticking it to everyone just isn’t morally correct. Sure, morals and ethics mean nothing to some folks - but remember for every instance of a dishonest claim, OUR rates collectively get jacked.... FACT.

Jumping off soap box.

Now regarding taking any vehicle to the track - some tracks offer insurance, some don’t. Some Insurance Companies may offer supplemental insurance that will allow the Insured to use a vehicle in competitions or timed events. YES, you will pay more money for such coverage - but is it worth not opting for the extra $$$ annually “just in case” or do you rock none and risk a total loss if.... no.... WHEN you wreck that beauty into a wall, the stands or another vehicle?

Get the Insurance. There’s another thread on here I think in the Road Course sub-forum where another Member totaled out his S550 at an event and didn’t have Insurance when he could have had it... Lesson learned, but it’s a lesson that many others need to research BEFORE being in such a situation.

Also one more thing:
If you haven’t, or never have, be sure to know what your standard automotive Insurance or Collector Car Insurance does NOT cover - yea, all that fine print that no one ever reads.... everyone is always worried about what is covered - nope - be concerned with what is NOT covered... then figure if you are paying for the proper insurance.

I have Collector Car Insurance on my 94 Cobra - have had it for 10yrs now. If that car ever becomes a total loss claim, I will be paid exactly what it’s insured for - Agreed Value. Never assume that your insured for X-value especially with a vehicle that you have invested into via mods, restoration, etc. An Agreed Value Policy has the EXACT insured value of the vehicle stated and printed on the policy declaration pages. If it’s not there, you have NO recourse to getting a fair payout at all. I also get coverage for stored parts, and many other benefits. The policy also appreciates 2% every quarter - for a total appreciation of 8% per year, so the insurance Agreed Value automatically increases each year. I KNOW what is NOT covered....

I suggest that those reading this thread to take it as education - (not MY very response here, but EVERYONE who has replied).

Last edited:

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Regarding insurance - I can see some of the points being made regarding “hey, I pay insurance, and have paid for X-years with never a claim - so I’m (or others are) entitled to (insert x here)....”

Reporting a claim as something other than what REALLY happened is fraud, period. There’s no “gray” area at all. People who do as such RAISE Insurance premiums for ALL of US.

So even though I or others may or may not have ever had any Insurance Claims - you certainly do notice when those annual rates go up, right? Well, it’s not only due to normal inflation, world-wide catastrophic events tapping the industries - but it’s every friggin instance of a perpetuated or “successful” FRAUD claim...

It’s totally absurd that anyone would even suggest this OP or any other person to tell a fib to claim it on their insurance...

I can see how folks hate Insurance or having to pay in and having rates jacked from circumstances beyond your control - but to suggest to anyone it’s “ok” just because “the man” is sticking it to everyone just isn’t morally correct. Sure, morals and ethics mean nothing to some folks - but remember for every instance of a dishonest claim, OUR rates collectively get jacked.... FACT.

Jumping off soap box.

Now regarding taking any vehicle to the track - some tracks offer insurance, some don’t. Some Insurance Companies may offer supplemental insurance that will allow the Insured to use a vehicle in competitions or timed events. YES, you will pay more money for such coverage - but is it worth the extra $$$ annually “just in case” or do you rock none and risk a total loss if.... no.... WHEN you wreck that beauty into a wall, the stands or another vehicle?

Get the Insurance. There’s another thread on here I think in the Road Course sub-forum where another Member totaled out his S550 at an event and didn’t have Insurance when he could have had it... Lesson learned, but it’s a lesson that many others need to research BEFORE being in such a situation.

Also one more thing:
If you haven’t, or never have, be sure to know what your standard automotive Insurance or Collector Car Insurance does NOT cover - yea, all that fine print that no one ever reads.... everyone is always worried about what is covered - nope - be concerned with what is NOT covered... then figure if you are paying for the proper insurance.

I have Collector Car Insurance on my 94 Cobra - have had it for 10yrs now. If that car ever becomes a total loss claim, I will be paid exactly what it’s insured for - Agreed Value. Never assume that your insured for X-value especially with a vehicle that you have invested into via mods, restoration, etc. An Agreed Value Policy has the EXACT insured value of the vehicle stated and printed on the policy declaration pages. If it’s not there, you have NO recourse to getting a fair payout at all. I also get coverage for stored parts, and many other benefits. The policy also appreciates 2% every quarter - for a total appreciation of 8% per year, so the insurance Agreed Value automatically increases each year. I KNOW what is NOT covered....

I suggest that those reading this thread to take it as education - (not MY very response here, but EVERYONE who has replied).

My rates are primarily set by my postal code. Yes it’s true. How fair is that? And why? Because it generates more cash for them.

The insurers should just do what they always do and set the rates factoring in occasional recreational use and then the “fraud” is not fraud anymore. If you are covered by non-professional track use by default, then are you going to turn yourself into the police because you submitted a claim? Answer no! Why - because insurance fraud is a fraud (by the insurance companies) for all but organized crime. This is on them and not you. And don’t say I or anyone counselled the op to commit a crime because we didn’t.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Sell. I'd figure out what it would take to auction it and stuff like that. I mean you basically have a brand new Gen 3 long block. Those sell! If you wanted to try and parting and then selling the shell for scrap. I don't know, just throwing out ideas.
Sponsored