Sponsored

So, I'm an idiot and crashed my '18 GT. Sell/Fix/jump out the window?

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500, 2018 GT A10, 06 GTO
It's a short story. Guy buy car after 27 years of driving w/ no accidents ever at his fault....takes the car to a drift event to get to know each other. No shit really, that was my intention. I've drifted, drag raced, etc. for decades now. Anyways, she met the wall.
Front subframe isn't that tweaked. Rails are pretty far over, but would be pullable. Rear suspension took a hit. Small dinger above the RR wheel....and the rear bumper cover got it. popped all the bags but the steering wheel and passenger dash. Coolers are still fine.

It's a A10, 3.55 PPK base car. The whipple, fore, ID1300's are still in the box. I need another car, or this one fixed ASAP. First estimate was 24K......which isn't feasible without buying some used parts.

What is that puppy worth wrecked?
What has people spent fixing one similiar?
Who's got a front clip :wink: ?
IMG_20190528_070203189.jpg
IMG_20190528_070353637.jpg
IMG_20190528_070430068.jpg
IMG_20190528_070443687.jpg
IMG_20190528_070801925.jpg
IMG_20190528_070813182.jpg
IMG_20190528_070823676.jpg
IMG_20190528_071058728.jpg
Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Depending on the replacement value, 25k in damage could require a salvage title in most states which would definitely make repairs a less sound investment. I am guessing your insurance told you to take a walk because it happened at the track? You could call places like insurance auto auctions or copart and attempt to sell it or find one wrecked in a different way that you could poach parts from. Best of luck to you, tough spot to be in im sure

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Oooof.... wow, sorry to hear, but glad you’re ok.

Assuming there is a note remaining on the car?

The airbags alone are probably the costliest repair and even if you source them used (from another salvage), you need access to the Ford IDS to clear all airbag codes...

I’ve seen complete stocker S550 rear IRS’s on eBay for about $500.

You can source the front end parts easily as well; try LKQ or Coparts for local salvage facilities near you.

$24k repair is an ass whoopin for sure, but is that the only quote you have received? Have you tried to shop it around?

Usually a total loss claim would occur if the repair cost exceeds 72-75% of the ACV (actual cash value). These values are based on Red and Black Books, available by subscription only to Bank Lenders, Body Shop/Salvage facilities not available to the Public.... ACV can also be referred to as “actual crash value”, as in the insurance industry, it’s the value of the car based on what salvage facilities will pay to take it off the Insurance Co’s hands.

Have you attempted to see what your Insurance Co will do?

——
List your new aftermarket parts for sale on here, you’ll be able to recover those costs quick (or if still within their return policy period, return them).

OP
OP
BlowerGuy

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Oooof.... wow, sorry to hear, but glad you’re ok.

Assuming there is a note remaining on the car?

The airbags alone are probably the costliest repair and even if you source them used (from another salvage), you need access to the Ford IDS to clear all airbag codes...

I’ve seen complete stocker S550 rear IRS’s on eBay for about $500.

You can source the front end parts easily as well; try LKQ or Coparts for local salvage facilities near you.

$24k repair is an ass whoopin for sure, but is that the only quote you have received? Have you tried to shop it around?

Usually a total loss claim would occur if the repair cost exceeds 72-75% of the ACV (actual cash value). These values are based on Red and Black Books, available by subscription only to Bank Lenders, Body Shop/Salvage facilities not available to the Public.... ACV can also be referred to as “actual crash value”, as in the insurance industry, it’s the value of the car based on what salvage facilities will pay to take it off the Insurance Co’s hands.

Have you attempted to see what your Insurance Co will do?

——
List your new aftermarket parts for sale on here, you’ll be able to recover those costs quick (or if still within their return policy period, return them).
No loan.

Yeah no insurance on this one...

Car-part seems to have nothing.

What are these other sites? Did they largly replace car-part? It's been a long time since I did rebuilders. I was a 24 yr old ounk ass kid.

Sponsored

Notheryote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I got no advice for you, but I’m sorry you got to deal with this. Hope you get it all worked out one way or another.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
No loan.

What are these other sites? Did they largly replace car-part? It's been a long time since I did rebuilders. I was a 24 yr old ounk ass kid.
You can probably sell it on copart or similar site for upwards of 7000$ so in that situation I guess this is the best course of action and just use this money to finance a new one and probably don't drift it this time.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You can probably sell it on copart or similar site for upwards of 7000$ so in that situation I guess this is the best course of action and just use this money to finance a new one and probably don't drift it this time.

I smashed my first 5.0 30 years ago when I only had the car for three months. But I had accident forgiveness and on a highway so I went from stripper to loaded 5.0 and never looked back.

I’m surprised you didn’t lie to the insurance as how would they know? Then again I drive dumb cars without gps and my fellow drivers will say nothing (those who live in glass houses...). I hope you weren’t being a good little boy scout and telling them the truth? I worked for an insurance company and I have no moral judgement on you if you lied to them - because they are not the cleanest people either.

No matter, what is done is done. Go to the small shops that put together wrecks and sell them to unsuspecting suckers. That is what happened to my car. It will look like new with maybe a few new vibrations at certain speeds. Then keep drifting without fear as this car has already been baptized.

Keep having fun as it’s over before you know it!

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Sorry to hear that. Nothing makes the stomach sink more than that moment right before the hit when you know it's going south.

Sidenote, you want to the sell the injectors and fuel system? LMAO Sorry to hit you when you're down man!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
No loan.

No loan = good, so at least your not doubly indebted.

Not car-part - you want this site, copart:
https://www.copart.com/

Insert make/model/location info there and you may find some local salvage facilities that have the parts.

Here’s some other thoughts:
1) You may be able to even buy a complete donor vehicle (for far less than $24k repair quote). Get the necessary suspension/sheet metal parts from it to fix your existing GT. Then sell off the donor.

2) Sell the wrecked GT outright and walk away. My guess with the extent of the damages described and pictured, you may be able to get $15k cash for it. Sure that’s really low considering it’s a 2018 and how it’s optioned out, but admittedly it does have quite a bit of damage and considering almost all the airbags have deployed. I may be coming in low, I don’t think you can get $20k for it. You can try and stick to that figure and hope a buyer comes along, maybe they’ll go to $18k, but I think at $15k, you’ll have a quick cash sale. An $8k cash offer is too low for a 2018, it still has a shit ton of good parts on it and an undamaged drivetrain. The engine/PCM/harness combo alone is worth $8k+.

3) Purchase another Mustang, Factory Five Cobra (or insert other project vehicle here) for far less than the quoted $24k repair bill and swap over all the drivetrain into it.... sell the rest of the good parts from the body and then sell the shell for scrap. This scenario is time consuming so it may not be best option.

Sponsored

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Dam

This is the exact reason why I watch all those Mustang Crash videos on YouTube. When I feel like being a hoodlum in my car I think of those videos and I say “ no way I’m not doing that”

Mojo sent for you. It’s gotta suck. Sorry man :explode:

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
I’m surprised you didn’t lie to the insurance as how would they know? Then again I drive dumb cars without gps and my fellow drivers will say nothing (those who live in glass houses...). I hope you weren’t being a good little boy scout and telling them the truth? I worked for an insurance company and I have no moral judgement on you if you lied to them - because they are not the cleanest people either.
Fatguy - are you aware of the repercussions for insurance fraud ? :facepalm:

OP
OP
BlowerGuy

BlowerGuy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Corey
Vehicle(s)
Lol thanks everyone. I insure about 25 vehicles. I'm not going to get caught in a lie. Especially one that gets you in front of a judge.

Good info again.

I'd gladly sell it for $16k without the rear suspension goodies (back to stock).

I'll post it up here in the for sale section and see what happens.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Sell/buy new.

Life happens, you seem to be handling it very well.

It's just a car, it can be replaced.
Sponsored