Sponsored

So I don't lock my doors, why bother?

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I keep the Mustang in the garage but have a Rubicon and Grand Cherokee outside in driveway... I’ve not locked my cars in the 20 years I’ve lived in my near-Detroit suburb. Only the GC was stolen once a few years back but we recovered it relatively unharmed. It is still unlocked. Basically, we’re just lazy... nothing more sophisticated than that.
Sponsored

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Around here there are roving bands of A-holes that come in from other areas. They’ll go around pulling door handles until they find one that’s unlocked, then do what they do.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Locking the car puts it to sleep faster. Also you won't have to deal with dirty Mike and the boys using your car as a f**k shack.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I don't lock my doors except if I have some stuff in there and I run into a store for a min. But at work, just out and about or at home ( don't have a garage either) I don't bother. I don't see the point. I don't keep things in the car at all, absolutely zero. So anyone peeping in is gonna see nothing and most likely not bother. If they cant see in they are gonna try the handle open the door and see nothing and move on If they see something they want a locked door isnt gonna stop them and Ill just end up with a stolen item and a broken window and the costs involved. If they are gonna steel the car, a locked door isnt gonna stop them. They are gonna most likely have a cloned key and it would just unlock anyway. I just dont see the point in locking the doors except to get a broken window, what ever they wanted stolen anyway, the insurance claim, fixing what ever the broken glass messed up like paint or what ever. The days with out the car while its fixed.... or they just opened the door and took what ever and didn't destroy the car in the process. But like I said if Im out and shopping and I have to run in another store with items in the car I do lock it. But other then that. I guess Im just curious why s many are so obsessed with locking the car. Just seems to me locking it would get it damaged more and not stop anyoen who really wants what ever out your car. IM only posting this cause I hear are you gonna lock the car about 20 times a day from the wifiepoo. LOL

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So, if it gets stolen or vandalized are you planning to lie to the insurance company?
You up for insurance fraud?
Do you think they don't scan social media?
So how is it being locked or unlocked gonna stop it being stolen? Most new csrs are stolen by the key fob signal being cloned which would just unlock the door anyway. It makes zero difference. And vandalized... seems unlikely any one is sneaking a round looking for unlocked cars to just vandalize them. There is a whole outside out side of the car to vandalize that a locked door dont matter

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
So I make most my topics for fun and to get conversations started. But some of the answers here are mean. Also I will state what I have always said. People have no idea how insurance works. People really need to educate themselves on car insurance. First off almost no insurance policy covers personal items in a car it does not matter if the car was locked or unlocked you are screwed. Almost no insurance covers theft of personal property from a car. Also no insurance company makes a determination based on whether a car was locked or unlocked as it does not matter. As for theft it mostly does not matter now a days, there use to be a few companies that had a clause that the car had to show signs of forced entry and it mostly only applies to commercial vehicles not privet. But most if not all insurance companies now make no difference since most thefts happen with cloned key fobs and there is zero way to prove if car was locked or unlocked(and wouldnt matter anyway) and in any case with a cloned fob the door being locked or unlocked is irrelevant as the thief just unlocks it with the cloned fob.

But back to my why I dont lock the door. Like I said if they are gonna do it they are gonna do it. I dont have issues cause I do not leave anything in my car to steal, who breaks into an empty car with nothing in it? And if there is something they want I rather them just open the door and take it and not damage my car then smash my window and take it and now im paying to get a window and any other damage repaired and also im out the item.

As for the car locked or unlocked deterring it being stolen. Thats just stupid to be honest. Any thief with the know how to steal a modern car a locked door is nothing, it is not gonna stop anyone who wants the car. Yall think a thief who has been scoping out your car and has the equipment to circumvent the security measures or clone the fob is gonna go oh darn its locked oh well lets go home. LOL and someone called me stupid LOL

To a real thief and someone who wants in your car it being locked or unlocked is irrelevant. and its just gonna cause you more damage to fix.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Hmm, Ford/Allstate/Whomever can trace the IP address, or M6G? I would hope M6G wouldn't offer that service to insurance adjusters or Ford warranty deniers...
Some of us use vpns with actively changing I.P. Addresses. An I.P. Address is not a static Identifier unless you let it be. I also run software that clones and randomly changes my MAC addresses as well. Amoung other things. They can only track you through the web if you let them :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

WaffleMix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
It is just good practice to secure your vehicle regardless if anything is in there or not. Doesn’t locking the car enable the factory alarm system? For some reason I thought there was a feature in the dash settings that enables auto lock after exiting the vehicle. I could be mistaken. Either way I still manually lock the vehicle. The lock makes its it at least one more second of time the criminal has to take to get into the car. I have security cameras on my driveway and on my house. Motion detectors as well. Maybe the military made me extra precautious or maybe growing up in a not so pleasant neighborhood or probably both. Factory parts are worth $$$ and criminals will strip it down. Anything to make it harder for them like something so simple as a lock can possibly prevent me from having the headache of dealing with law enforcement and insurance.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So I make most my topics for fun and to get conversations started.
Mission accomplished. Well done. :champagne:

But some of the answers here are mean.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman is not one of the mean ones. He just employs unique instructional techniques.:punch:

Serious note: In several countries in Europe you are fined if the police (or meter reader) finds your car unlocked. Not easy with a Mustang, since there are no physical indicators, but the law nevertheless.

EDIT: Justification? Anti-lockers waste police resources

Last edited:

Robert3487

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Some of us use vpns with actively changing I.P. Addresses. An I.P. Address is not a static Identifier unless you let it be. I also run software that clones and randomly changes my MAC addresses as well. Amoung other things. They can only track you through the web if you let them :)
This is usually dependent on that particular vpns privacy/data retention policy and if they keep connection logs and things like that. There was a hacker named Recursion that used a vpn and his info was handed over. Once they identify you through payment method Or sign up info then Mac spoofing becomes irrelevant. Are they going to go to these lengths for insurance? Probably not, but I’m always letting people know that most of those vpn clients hand info over when asked lol.

Last edited:

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
You've obviously never been to flint.
Sponsored