Sponsored

So I don't lock my doors, why bother?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I don't lock my doors except if I have some stuff in there and I run into a store for a min. But at work, just out and about or at home ( don't have a garage either) I don't bother. I don't see the point. I don't keep things in the car at all, absolutely zero. So anyone peeping in is gonna see nothing and most likely not bother. If they cant see in they are gonna try the handle open the door and see nothing and move on If they see something they want a locked door isnt gonna stop them and Ill just end up with a stolen item and a broken window and the costs involved. If they are gonna steel the car, a locked door isnt gonna stop them. They are gonna most likely have a cloned key and it would just unlock anyway. I just dont see the point in locking the doors except to get a broken window, what ever they wanted stolen anyway, the insurance claim, fixing what ever the broken glass messed up like paint or what ever. The days with out the car while its fixed.... or they just opened the door and took what ever and didn't destroy the car in the process. But like I said if Im out and shopping and I have to run in another store with items in the car I do lock it. But other then that. I guess Im just curious why s many are so obsessed with locking the car. Just seems to me locking it would get it damaged more and not stop anyoen who really wants what ever out your car. IM only posting this cause I hear are you gonna lock the car about 20 times a day from the wifiepoo. LOL
Sponsored

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
A homeless guy took a shit in my exes Honda once because she always hoped someone would steal it if she left it unlocked (it was a lemon, yep a Honda that was a lemon - shows you her kind of luck). So.... there's always that chance....

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I don’t leave my front door of my home unlocked. I wouldn’t leave my car doors open for the same reason. I do not want strangers to have access to my personal property. Ever see the interior of a car after a bunch of kids get done with it? Do not make it easy for them. Lock your doors.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Well for me has never been an issue. A buddy of mine who locks his all the time has had to replace 3 windows now and repair the damage. They took what they wanted locked doors didnt stop anything. Just caused more issues and damage.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well for me has never been an issue.
Right up until the first time it happens.

A buddy of mine who locks his all the time has had to replace 3 windows now and repair the damage.
Where the heck does your friend park. One window is unlucky, three is time to move.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I don’t leave my front door of my home unlocked. I wouldn’t leave my car doors open for the same reason. I do not want strangers to have access to my personal property. Ever see the interior of a car after a bunch of kids get done with it? Do not make it easy for them. Lock your doors.
LOL yeah I dont lock my home doors either unless im out of town. Again if they are gonna break in.. takes a foot to the door and its open. Then you are replacing a door frame and door as well all your stuff got stolen anyway. If someones plan is to break in they are not gonna go through all the trouble and then go oh well the doors locked. Nope they are just gonna cause more damage.

Growing up a buddy of mine had an expensive car stero set up. He was paranoid someone was gonna steal it cause in his car it was fairly easy to just pul it out. so he did all this bolting it in and locking his doors and so on. so came the night it got stolen. so instead fo just yanking the stereo and going.. they pried on the door, smashed the window. Destroyed his dash completely and tore up many other things getting the stereo out because of his theft deterrent features ... cost him thousands where if he just left it alone they would have just yanked the stereo and been gone with almost no damage.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah if there’s nothing in the car then its not a big deal, you’re only locking up empty air. Except the homeless exampe (ick!)

with a convertable, its best to not lock it and only keep stuff in the trunk because its quick to slit the convertable top, and quieter than smashing a window. The top is not too fun to replace.

just don’t keep stuff in the car, that solves it 90% of the time.

only time I’ve had anything attempted stolen from my car the window was down and a couple of things were in the passenger seat. I watched a bum walk right up to it and stick his head in the window from about 10y away, so I cam out yelling and startled him enough he backed off. I knew what I was doing at the time and was keeping the car in view, but the windows go up when I park now a lot more.

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
Well for me has never been an issue. A buddy of mine who locks his all the time has had to replace 3 windows now and repair the damage. They took what they wanted locked doors didnt stop anything. Just caused more issues and damage.
Your buddy might want to move out of that trailer park.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
So, if it gets stolen or vandalized are you planning to lie to the insurance company?
You up for insurance fraud?
Do you think they don't scan social media?

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Briebee72, I got a kick out of reading (trying to) read your thread on not locking your car. And being the admitted non-typing king. Thanks for that laugh.
Please DON'T call the police when something happens to your unlocked Mustang. They will look at you and say "Really, You Called Why"?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I don't keep anything in my car, neither one and never have. I'm always harping to the wife about keeping stuff in her car tho, she used to leave her purse in the car with the keys in it. She would just use the keypad to get back in when she came out of the store.

Anyway I always lock my doors, at home, at work, at the store, even in the garage. I know it's overkill in the garage, but it's force of habit now. I was told when I was a kid by my dad, my uncles, grandfather etc. that locking your doors just keeps the honest man honest, as long as there is nothing in the car of value. But if they want the car bad enough, they will get it. But you can slow them down and maybe they will move on to another car. Professional thieves will not waste 5 minutes on one car, they will just walk away and move on to another car.

On a related topic, I've drilled into my wife and daughters head to keep the key fob in their pocket, and their phones too. Not in their purse. If a carjacker comes along and tries to get their car, just hit the start button before they drag them out of the car, when they get you out just run, as fast and as far as you can. The car will be shut off and they can't get it started again with out the fob because you have the fob in your pocket and you are a few hundred feet away. By the time they have figured out what you did, your too far away for them to retaliate so they will either give up and run away or victimize someone else. And when the smoke clears, just go back to the car, start it up and drive away.
Sponsored

Last edited: