Sponsored

So, I’m having to eat my words about not getting a ‘22 GT

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
When the 10 HP drop for 2022 was announced I was pretty vocal about not wanting one with the slight power reduction. Almost all of you said it wouldn’t be noticeable and while I didn’t disagree it was just a mental thing for me. Well, I got my heart right. I wanted a 6MT coupe to go with my 2020 A10 convertible and I definitely wanted the S550 body style. I was lucky enough to find one close to home that the dealer had just received and was able to get it for absolute sticker price, no ADM or add-ons and a doc fee under $500. It’s a base 301a car with nothing much except AE and the black accent package and of course with the 6MT it’s rolling the 3.55s. Strangely, while I do love my loaded 401a premium convertible I find the basic nature of this new car to be a lot of fun. It’s very nimble and is a blast to drive! It’s only got 100 miles on it but given the 3.55s vs my slightly heavier convertible’s 3.15s, I figure they’ll run fairly similar. Neither car will ever see the track so as long as they feel good, fast and are fun to drive I’m not sure why I was worried about the 10 HP anyway. Heck, 450 real net HP pretty much beats anything I thought was fast from the ‘60s anyway.

BTW even with my bad knees the clutch effort is very minimal and the shifter’s throws are short and smooth. Real easy to drive.

Here she is-I’m really liking the all black look.
F428703C-2DE6-4CBC-B126-54DC4D3F750D.jpeg

CFADCFB6-95BF-4D5F-802F-A5678F74E589.jpeg
Sponsored

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Congrats! Now when the S650 comes out you will have to fret about which one to keep.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
It really is an easy to drive and fun manual transmission, I don't get why it gets so much hate. I do think the 3.55's kind of delete a lot of low end torque though. Probably pretty apparent after driving an A10 back to back with it.

_zOmbIE_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 22 GT Prem PP
It really is an easy to drive and fun manual transmission, I don't get why it gets so much hate. I do think the 3.55's kind of delete a lot of low end torque though. Probably pretty apparent after driving an A10 back to back with it.
+1, it's no tremec but from my experience they must have done something to the MT82 between the S197 and S550 because this shifts so much nicer than my 2013 did.

Sponsored

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I love my 21 Shadow Black. Just had the paint sealed and it shines.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats! Now when the S650 comes out you will have to fret about which one to keep.
You know, I did think about the S650. And while it’s hard to compare something you haven’t seen yet, for me I don’t see how I could possibly like it more than I do the S550. I personally put the beauty of the S550 in the category of some of the classic GT cars from Ferrari, Aston Martin and Jaguar. I’m just not a fan of the angular Transformer-like styling of many newer cars, like the C8 for example. And while they might bump up horsepower a bit, weight will almost certainly go up with it so there’s that. Besides, it kinda gets down to how much car a retired hot rodder can use on the street anyway.

mindo389

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 50th AY Appearance Pkg.
Vehicle Showcase
Retired hot rodder lol.... Almost retired hot rodder here.... Enjoy your new toy! We sometimes fret over minor things and forget the overall ones. Well I just finished my morning coffee and it's time to wake up mine and go for a drive.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You know, I did think about the S650. And while it’s hard to compare something you haven’t seen yet, for me I don’t see how I could possibly like it more than I do the S550. I personally put the beauty of the S550 in the category of some of the classic GT cars from Ferrari, Aston Martin and Jaguar. I’m just not a fan of the angular Transformer-like styling of many newer cars, like the C8 for example. And while they might bump up horsepower a bit, weight will almost certainly go up with it so there’s that. Besides, it kinda gets down to how much car a retired hot rodder can use on the street anyway.
I personally still don't think S650 is going to be a huge improvement. It will be different for sure, but I'm doubtful of any massive changes that will make anyone with an S550 really upset. I'm also personally not a fan of the new interior, although I'm sure it has its upsides.

I'm also really curious about the price increases that are coming...

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I personally still don't think S650 is going to be a huge improvement. It will be different for sure, but I'm doubtful of any massive changes that will make anyone with an S550 really upset. I'm also personally not a fan of the new interior, although I'm sure it has its upsides.

I'm also really curious about the price increases that are coming...
This. And as others have pointed out, with this last year or two of this generation, it is probably as good as it's going to get with respect to parts and assembly. The S650 will start with its own issues anew.

I wish the best for both generations.

Sponsored

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Speaking about the 10hp thing.

I too was little disappointed by the power loss. But alterative is to buy a camaro (which I don`t like the design) or a European car which will not have a V8 engine. Plus the power loss will not be noticeable. So I went with a custom ordered 2022. Really happy with the car and still cannot believe how great it sounds right from factory.

Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
When the 10 HP drop for 2022 was announced I was pretty vocal about not wanting one with the slight power reduction. Almost all of you said it wouldn’t be noticeable and while I didn’t disagree it was just a mental thing for me. Well, I got my heart right. I wanted a 6MT coupe to go with my 2020 A10 convertible and I definitely wanted the S550 body style. I was lucky enough to find one close to home that the dealer had just received and was able to get it for absolute sticker price, no ADM or add-ons and a doc fee under $500. It’s a base 301a car with nothing much except AE and the black accent package and of course with the 6MT it’s rolling the 3.55s. Strangely, while I do love my loaded 401a premium convertible I find the basic nature of this new car to be a lot of fun. It’s very nimble and is a blast to drive! It’s only got 100 miles on it but given the 3.55s vs my slightly heavier convertible’s 3.15s, I figure they’ll run fairly similar. Neither car will ever see the track so as long as they feel good, fast and are fun to drive I’m not sure why I was worried about the 10 HP anyway. Heck, 450 real net HP pretty much beats anything I thought was fast from the ‘60s anyway.

BTW even with my bad knees the clutch effort is very minimal and the shifter’s throws are short and smooth. Real easy to drive.

Here she is-I’m really liking the all black look.
F428703C-2DE6-4CBC-B126-54DC4D3F750D.jpeg

CFADCFB6-95BF-4D5F-802F-A5678F74E589.jpeg
great choice! I love the black but not the constant work keeping it looking good :cwl:
I had a black Pontiac GTP in 99 and it looked great but a real PITA to keep clean.
Nice that you got the MT82. I'm happy with mine as well....only locked up from 2nd to 3rd one time! That was my warning shot not to be drag racing at 65 :cwl: I keep it under control on the street...too many idiots out there to keep an eye on.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Speaking about the 10hp thing.

I too was little disappointed by the power loss. But alterative is to buy a camaro (which I don`t like the design) or a European car which will not have a V8 engine. Plus the power loss will not be noticeable. So I went with a custom ordered 2022. Really happy with the car and still cannot believe how great it sounds right from factory.
You‘re not kidding about the sound thing. It’s a huge factor in my love for the car. If I had to choose between my AE and A/C, you could come get my A/C. And the temps have been in the 90 degree+ range here for the last couple weeks.

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
You‘re not kidding about the sound thing. It’s a huge factor in my love for the car. If I had to choose between my AE and A/C, you could come get my A/C. And the temps have been in the 90 degree+ range here for the last couple weeks.
I think a lot of people kind of take it for granted though. My boss just bought a 140k BMW M8. He is amazed how great my stock mustang is (with active exhaust). We are lucky to have such powerful and amazing sounding cars at a somewhat affordable price still on the market in the USA.

Jerry Carguy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2021 California Special Black exterior
As far as the HP thing, my 2021 460hp is now running on regular fuel with absolutely no noticeable difference in throttle response, so you could say it is operating at 450hp yet there is no loss.
Sponsored