Sponsored

So how badly are we going to be ripped off?

mikeyw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc C Class
I've heard £30k and £35k being said for the ecoboost and V8 respectively.

I have a Fiesta ST right now. They retail about £18k in the UK and $22k in the US.

The V8 with PP in the US is $38k, so by those maths we should pay £31k for the V8. I think that would make the ecoboost too cheap compared to competition over here. Then again the 370z is cheap.

This is very rough and crude maths obviously, but I live in hope that the V8 will be affordable.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Unfortunately, it doesn't work quite like that. There are plenty of UK built cars, such as Jaguars, that are sold cheaper in the US than they are here.

More than anything, the list price will be based purely on what Ford thinks the market will accept in the UK.

At £35k, it would still offer good value for money.

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I've heard £30k and £35k being said for the ecoboost and V8 respectively.

I have a Fiesta ST right now. They retail about £18k in the UK and $22k in the US.

The V8 with PP in the US is $38k, so by those maths we should pay £31k for the V8. I think that would make the ecoboost too cheap compared to competition over here. Then again the 370z is cheap.

This is very rough and crude maths obviously, but I live in hope that the V8 will be affordable.
I did some basic math using the Fiesta ST. Converting the ST's MSRP into pounds, you end up with 13,080 versus the UK model's 17,250. So that's essentially a 25% difference. Bear in mind that UK models and USDM models vary in spec; you guys get fancier headlights, a better steering wheel, and I would assume little bits of trim and materials are improved on your end.

Using that basic formula, an EcoBoost premium model runs at basically $30k flat here. Convert to pounds, add 25%, and I wound up with 22,563 pounds. I have no idea how comparable the standard equipment will be though. That $38k USD you mentioned would translate to a UK tag of 28,573 if it followed these maths.

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Do European car dealers try to rip off consumers by marking up popular new vehicles like the U.S. dealers do? I would expect dealers here to add $5000 or more over sticker price "market adjustment" throughout the 2015 model year as they did with the highly anticipated 2005 Mustang.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Do European car dealers try to rip off consumers by marking up popular new vehicles like the U.S. dealers do?
No. They are happy to sell you a car. With a limited availability model they might not be inclined so much to give you a discount but I have never heard of anyone over here paying more than MSRP for any car.

The sales and distribition mechanism in Europe is also different. Dealers usually do not have stock vehicles, only a few cars that are in their showrooms. If you want to buy a car 99 out of 100 times they order it for you from the factory. There is almost always a minimum wait of 1 month (if you're lucky) but it's not unheard of to have to wait up to 12 months to take delivery.

Sponsored

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well they rip off Canadian buyers so why not European?

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
I wish Ford would treat us with some respect and just let us know.
If the V8 comes in at around 35k I will be delighted. My fear is it will be more like 40k

Helios1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo/Porsche Cayman S
From what all the reviews seem to suggest, the UK price for the GT will be £33-34k so with all the options, it might be reaching £40k which isn't too bad compared to the competition.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mikeyw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Merc C Class
From what all the reviews seem to suggest, the UK price for the GT will be £33-34k so with all the options, it might be reaching £40k which isn't too bad compared to the competition.
Yeah, the estimate prices quoted by AutoExpress etc are pretty good.

Options is an interesting thing.... if we get the PP (or most of it) as standard, it's only really going to be interior options required for me. On the US configurator there really aren't that many options once you've chosen 'Premium', which is itself isn't that expensive.

I'd guess that Ford Europe will simplify things and there won't be a 'Premium' option. It'll just be reasonably well kitted out as standard and we'll just be paying for a few options like safety and parking assists, uprated stereo and maybe satnav.

If I only pay for Magnetic paint and satnav I'll be happy enough.

Helios1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo/Porsche Cayman S
Yeah, the estimate prices quoted by AutoExpress etc are pretty good.

Options is an interesting thing.... if we get the PP (or most of it) as standard, it's only really going to be interior options required for me. On the US configurator there really aren't that many options once you've chosen 'Premium', which is itself isn't that expensive.

I'd guess that Ford Europe will simplify things and there won't be a 'Premium' option. It'll just be reasonably well kitted out as standard and we'll just be paying for a few options like safety and parking assists, uprated stereo and maybe satnav.

If I only pay for Magnetic paint and satnav I'll be happy enough.
Yeah, I think that's how it's gonna be as well. Sat Nav and ACC and I'll be happy.
Sponsored