Sponsored

So, has everyone made peace with the 2K rattle?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
On mine it’s more of a clatter than a rattle. It only happens at very light loads 2000-3000 rpm. Call me crazy, but I lowered my light-load shift points to where it avoids running in that rpm range at little to no load.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Those noises I have heard at low speeds cruising around the neighborhood. I actually love the weirdo injector whooshing and whining.
Yah man.. I always enjoy listening to my solid cam lifters on my 289 Ford.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It will not. I highly doubt most know what piston slap actually sounds like.
Ha ha. Yeah, it's deafening if inside a garage. Three of my cars had it: An F-150 5.4 V8, and LS1 + LS2 Corvettes.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I can't hear anything over the exhaust.

Rattle on...

Sponsored

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
That could actually be it. When driving "normally" I'm at 3-5k under acceleration and 1500-1800 while cruising. In Mexico the revs are 5-7k. I'm never hanging out at 2k to get the "2k rattle".
Your doing something wrong then :p You have the rattle, your just in the 10% of the 90% that have it that can't hear it. (tinnitus)

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I'm convinced the 2k rattle is direct injection doing it's thing. All the German cars I had recently before this did it, but continuously. My 2005 Lincoln LS did it, and a lot louder than the Mustang.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
If something was defective about these engine they wouldn’t last thousands of miles at 4500+ RPM like my car has.

I could speculate on all the noises these engines make but it seems to have a low failure rate and revs forever.

It makes me feel good that my car makes all the normal sounds. Rattle,tick, tap.
I truly believe all the cars make it, some people are just lucky to not hear it. Safety reminder: Once you do hear it, you'll always hear it and it could drive you nuts.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I'm convinced the 2k rattle is direct injection doing it's thing. All the German cars I had recently before this did it, but continuously. My 2005 Lincoln LS did it, and a lot louder than the Mustang.
I own an early German DI car. It has no rattle like the mustang. You can hear the injectors tick at idle when modded (Intake+Cowl), but as you accelerate, you just hear a smooth engine. As much as I hate on our BMW for reliability, I have to admit that I6 TT is a much better sounding engine than the Yote.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
To answer the OP, I haven't really made peace with it, but I do ignore it. The engineer in me wants real answers as to the root cause, but I am not invested enough to spend time troubleshooting. Mine started at around 1k miles, is worse when cold, tends to be much quieter with the A/C off, and wasn't changed by the addition of Cera Tec. I doubt I will keep this car long enough to find out if this is related to some long-term failure mode. Heck, I only have 7900mi after 3 years of owning it.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
As a new owner, this was is my observation. First 50 degree morning, and she was very noisy when warming up. Just assumed it was injection related but maybe I'm wrong.

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I own an early German DI car.
Maybe it's different now, because my 2016 M235 had to have fake engine noise to cover up for the meh sounding i6.

Mad Horse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2018 Explorer Sport, 2013 Fusion
I'll add this as a data point.............

My 2019 had the 2K rattle. It was a little louder when cold but was still audible when warmed up. Car started using a LOT of oil around 4K miles. Scored cylinders were the cause so short block and cylinder heads were replaced.

DI pump was reused along with timing chain set, cam shafts, injectors etc. I now have 1,200 miles on the new setup and the rattle is completely gone. For me, this takes the fuel system out of the equation since I have the same pump and injectors that were on the engine that rattled. I'm not saying I know what was causing the noise but I know what it wasn't.

The car is much more enjoyable to drive now.
Sponsored