Sponsored

So getting a FORScan setup for xmas. What do I need to know?

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
OK first let me say I know there are other threads and such for this but... typically those are older and things change. I would prefer more up to date answers is why I am asking here. So for those who have the FORScan and have used it extensively. Where are the best places to get codes? what did you change and what would you recommend changing as far as coolness and performance goes? I figure things out fairly quick and like to get feedback from others in the know of what is useful and what is not. I'M particularly interested in performance items I can change safely. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Goterr0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
What performance items do you expect to change? The only thing i can think of off hand would be if you don't have drive modes you can add a Sync 3 system or other Tesla style headunit and enable drive modes on a car that doesn't have them. I can't think of anything performance wise you would use ForScan for. You can adjust settings that you otherwise can't or add things other model cars have "if" you have the supporting hardware to go with them, but don't think of ForScan as a tuning device to change the maps of the car.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
What performance items do you expect to change? The only thing i can think of off hand would be if you don't have drive modes you can add a Sync 3 system or other Tesla style headunit and enable drive modes on a car that doesn't have them. I can't think of anything performance wise you would use ForScan for. You can adjust settings that you otherwise can't or add things other model cars have "if" you have the supporting hardware to go with them, but don't think of ForScan as a tuning device to change the maps of the car.
humm.. I wasnt sure. I have the 19gt with 401a. I pretty much have every option. Thats cool I wasn't sure what all it could or couldn't do. I really hadn't planned on getting the set up but couldn't think of anything else for my family to get me for xmas as I am on of those I buy once I see it people :). so I figured eh a new toy. but I honestly haven't look into it much. guess I was just fishing for pointers on what I could do with it and where to start.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
As @Goterr0r said. You won't be unleashing any performance gains with Forscan. It's a configuration tweaker only. For example, disabling horn honks when you get out of the car with the engine running. Or setting the stereo to stay on longer after the engine is shut off. Forscan is only necessary if you need to make these types of changes or you plan on doing a stereo upgrade or digital dash swap. Forscan will also allow you to read trouble codes and reset error messages as well as get real time sensor data from the engine.
Forscan is free. The interface is not. You will need a ODBII with a ELM327 chip and it must have the MS/HS can buss switch such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/OHP-ELMconfi...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I would buy a USB version over Bluetooth. I prefer wired connections over wireless. Less chance of something going wrong.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
As @Goterr0r said. You won't be unleashing any performance gains with Forscan. It's a configuration tweaker only. For example, disabling horn honks when you get out of the car with the engine running. Or setting the stereo to stay on longer after the engine is shut off. Forscan is only necessary if you need to make these types of changes or you plan on doing a stereo upgrade or digital dash swap. Forscan will also allow you to read trouble codes and reset error messages as well as get real time sensor data from the engine.
Forscan is free. The interface is not. You will need a ODBII with a ELM327 chip and it must have the MS/HS can buss switch such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/OHP-ELMconfi...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
I would buy a USB version over Bluetooth. I prefer wired connections over wireless. Less chance of something going wrong.
Thanks, yes I got the app and the unit tht was ordered was the OBDLink MX+ that's the recommended unit by FROScan. Cool so no performance stuff but can play with other stuff and the obdlink has other uses so cool thanks for the info.
Sponsored