So Calif 5.2 engine builder/ track car mods

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
JBA in San Diego has a good engine department and J. Bittle (owner) has a supercharged 2016 GT350
Can't say much about their engine department, but I took my car there to have for an alignment and decided to double check the work since the car wasn't driving well afterward. They had torqued nothing down and the end links were basically hand tight. Everyone there was great to work with, but the actual mechanic work was disappointing.
Sponsored

lunatect

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Can't say much about their engine department, but I took my car there to have for an alignment and decided to double check the work since the car wasn't driving well afterward. They had torqued nothing down and the end links were basically hand tight. Everyone there was great to work with, but the actual mechanic work was disappointing.
JBA Speed Shop did that? That really does not sound like anything that they would do. They did an excellent job rebuilding my 2004 Terminator. Been going to them since 1996 when I got my '96 SVT Cobra.

GTIIIL

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I used JBA for some chassis dyno work-again not engine work- but was satisfied with the work and the people who were working there. They must be doing something right; that’s a huge speed shop in this day and age. Actually going there this morning for their early car show and burnout fest.

5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
JBA Speed Shop did that? That really does not sound like anything that they would do. They did an excellent job rebuilding my 2004 Terminator. Been going to them since 1996 when I got my '96 SVT Cobra.
Sadly yeah. I had wanted to go to JBA for quite some time since it seemed like a cool shop (it very much is) but that disappointed me. Mistakes happen. if I was closer I'd give them another shot just for how fantastic everyone was to work with, but I'd still double check their work.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
The biggest issues I've personally seen are around the piston/ring package--I've seen a few builds now struggle with blowby and oil consumption as a result of a poorly developed piston/ring package. We've seen Ford struggle with this as well.

My understanding is a significant part of it comes from the interesting firing order and FPC creating abnormal crank case pressures, but this part isn't really my expertise. I lean on my builder for this part - it's been cheaper. ha
True talk !

I have had RPG cross and flat plane 5.2 builds .

The cross plane SB in my Hellion wannabe drag car has been flawless .
Gen 2 GT 350 block /Manley platinum 11:1 piston/H tuff rods /Boss crank . Has GT 350 heads .
Motor is buttery smooth , has not used a drop of oil in 5000 miles .

Less luck with the cross plane build .
Stock motor rebuilt after bent rod with Gen 3 whipple .

Initial build was sleeved block(Gen1) /Voodoo Spec Diamond pistons /Manley H rods . Minor head upgrades. Lots of blow by from the beginning and was eating lots of oil /coolant when I sent it back .

RPG confirmed culprit was the crappy Diamond piston wearing badly .
Initial plan was to rebuild with Manley/RPG Spec pistons and upgrade to lightened Manley I beams ... but changed due to unavailability.
Current rebuild is with Mahle pistons (I think they are same as OEM) , Oliver I beams (voodoo spec)

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Current motor in car is a never previously never run “Gen 1” voodoo I had refreshed by Alfonzo Novello.

Manley rod upgrade /stock pistons and same minor head upgrade (head studs /PAC springs ) , GT 500 head gaskets .
it’s been flawless so far . Way smoother than the one I just sent back and not used a drop of oil in 3000 miles .

I broke this one in differently from the RPG rebuild by avoiding E85 during first 500 miles and used the driven breaking oil instead of the full synthetic . It’s also a lot quieter than the motor that came out so which may be a factor of the forged alloy used in the OEM piston versus the 2618 in many aftermarket pistons .

Fonzie just built me another one (I like to keep spares).

Gen 2 block this time with the longer ARP head studs and block machined for main studs, but otherwise same as previously build . OEM pistons ..
I expect It will be just as nice as the one in the car now. May be more boost friendly because of the longer head studs ... although no issues so far with the current motor at 16 Ps/mid 900’s.

36B1FD7E-BD4A-4EBF-A15A-424624E71212.jpeg

D101AE6E-B51F-493A-8B0C-E22A50151A71.jpeg

62A6A036-72F9-4831-9E29-3CEA8E34E693.jpeg

4785F0CF-317E-42FE-BDC7-9DA79AE83FA2.jpeg

C2FE1811-78DC-45BC-BB88-D4DA6249A613.jpeg

Last edited:

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
True talk !

I have had RPG cross and flat plane 5.2 builds .

The cross plane SB in my Hellion wannabe drag car has been flawless .
Gen 2 GT 350 block /Manley platinum 11:1 piston/H tuff rods /Boss crank . Has GT 350 heads .
Motor is buttery smooth , has not used a drop of oil in 5000 miles .

Less luck with the cross plane build .
Stock motor rebuilt after bent rod with Gen 3 whipple .

Initial build was sleeved block(Gen1) /Voodoo Spec Diamond pistons /Manley H rods . Minor head upgrades. Lots of blow by from the beginning and was eating lots of oil /coolant when I sent it back .

RPG confirmed culprit was the crappy Diamond piston wearing badly .
Initial plan was to rebuild with Manley/RPG Spec pistons and upgrade to lightened Manley I beams ... but changed due to unavailability.
Current rebuild is with Mahle pistons (I think they are same as OEM) , Oliver I beams (voodoo spec)
Ever find out how the coolant was making its way into the combustion chamber? That’s pretty uncommon

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ever find out how the coolant was making its way into the combustion chamber? That’s pretty uncommon
He said there was a “small” head gasket leak .

OP
OP
JBG0137

JBG0137

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback, 2019 GT350r
Motor is finished and Installed and running... will send a running vid shortly, JMS in El Monte Ca was great to deal with. The owner Mike was very helpful navigating the parts needed.

https://jmsracingengines.com

Sponsored
OP
OP
JBG0137

JBG0137

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1965 Mustang Fastback, 2019 GT350r
And what exactly did they do?
I purchased the Gen 3 block and crank , the shop bought all the other parts, Manley Rods, JE pistons, HS Forged Gear, 12mm head bolts, billet oil pump. first road trip is tomorrow..I will update

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vodooo specific JE pistons ?
What CR ? . JE has one with higher CR .
Voodoo specific H beams I assume if the pistons are voodoo specific ?