Sponsored

So a stock GT350/GT350R is too loud for Florida? Wtf?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
It is 100% possible stock exhaust with the valves open is “track use only” and not street legal.
Indeed. No lawyer, but when I set exhaust to track mode (but nothing else to track mode), a warning pups up on the digital dash saying it is for "track use only".
Sponsored

food_fanaticz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Velocity Blue GT Premium
Sorry that happened to you. I'm in Florida and the two months I've had this car I have yet to come across a cop that was bothered by my exhaust. It's fully stock, I drive it in track exhaust all the time which I probably shouldn't since a warning pops up that it's "track use only":blush: lol however I still do it and I've had cops stopped next to me at lights, when fully accelerating without a look over. Like others have pointed out, maybe that particular area is more notorious and that particular cop more of a stickler about it.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Honestly this is just one of the costs of driving something fun and loud. Sometimes you will be hassled. Sometimes the police want to get in on it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Don't shift at 3500 when cops are around, problem solved.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So it's not clear by the initial post - did you (OP) receive a citation or ticket, or were you addressed about the issue and let go on your way??

Sponsored

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
So it's not clear by the initial post - did you (OP) receive a citation or ticket, or were you addressed about the issue and let go on your way??
I was addressed and let go.

OP
OP
RPDBlueMoon

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
What part of Florida did this happen? As others have said, traffic enforcement in Florida is quite lax, but you do occasionally run into a "by the book" cop. I'm running a Roush cat back setup with an h-pipe and it is almost obnoxiously loud and never had a problem.
I've had 5% tint all around on my last 6 or 7 cars and never a problem either. Seems you got somewhat unlucky in getting pulled over, but didn't get a ticket so maybe he just wanted an excuse to check out your car.
This was in Central Florida/Orlando area.

Yeah seems like I got unlucky, I regularly hear loud ass cars all the time so I guess I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. I saw the cop pull over someone before he me and then in minutes after letting me go he stopped someone else so maybe they were just doing a shake down that morning.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I was addressed and let go.
Cause he/she didn't have grounds to write you a ticket. A clown cop wrote one out to me. Made him look like a complete idiot in front of the judge. I didn't even have to pay court costs.

Sponsored

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
This was in Central Florida/Orlando area.

Yeah seems like I got unlucky, I regularly hear loud ass cars all the time so I guess I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. I saw the cop pull over someone before he me and then in minutes after letting me go he stopped someone else so maybe they were just doing a shake down that morning.
That makes sense, Orlando area is a high tourist part of Florida. I would bet the police enforce more there for 2 reasons, 1) to keep hooligans like us from ruining tourist's vacation and 2) to issue citations to tourist who most likely will pay and not contest.

Amaury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Ford clearly say valves arre for off road use. The volume of sound is indeed in excess of the law.

Tacticly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
BMW M4
Just had a cop turn on his lights and pull me over while I was on my way to get my haircut this morning. I was behind a bunch of cars at a red light and as soon as I gave the car some throttle to go, the guy came out of nowhere and flagged me.

He told me that he pulled me over because my car is too loud, because I modified the stock exhaust. The only modifications that I have done was replace the resonators with the LTH resonator so they my GT350 sounds just like the GT350R. After I told him that my car's exhaust was still stock (because it still is) he said that according to the law my car is too loud and I'm supposed to drive it normal mode with the valves closed. So if you have a GT350R you are breaking the law by driving with exhaust valves open.

This doesn't make any sense to me because Florida doesn't have yearly vehicle or emissions testing, also I hear tons of loud ass cars all the time here because people delete their catalytic converters. To make it even more funny while I was stopped there was another GT350 that sped by and he said "oh there's another one"

I could understand maybe if I was being obnoxious and just sitting in traffic bouncing the car off the rev limiter, since I was nearby a school or was driving by pedestrians and just slamming on the throttle to scare them but I didn't do anything like that. As I drove off I saw the cop stop somebody else so maybe the guy was just stopping people just to find something wrong?

Idk the whole ordeal rubbed me the wrong way, and it seems stupid that a stock car is considered too loud. I looked up the state law (here) where there are db limits but they laws explicitly states: No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device. I really wasn't in the position to argue or create a scene so I just put it in normal mode and then flipped it back after he left. I have driven by cops before with my exhaust flaps open and it never was an issue, I will make a mental note to go to normal mode whenever I see them.
Just a dick the average harley in florida is way louder and common and in groups as are most motorcycles never seen them harassed its the cop not the law thats a discretionary stop not a crime a violation at best, just a dick

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Just had a cop turn on his lights and pull me over while I was on my way to get my haircut this morning. I was behind a bunch of cars at a red light and as soon as I gave the car some throttle to go, the guy came out of nowhere and flagged me.

He told me that he pulled me over because my car is too loud, because I modified the stock exhaust. The only modifications that I have done was replace the resonators with the LTH resonator so they my GT350 sounds just like the GT350R. After I told him that my car's exhaust was still stock (because it still is) he said that according to the law my car is too loud and I'm supposed to drive it normal mode with the valves closed. So if you have a GT350R you are breaking the law by driving with exhaust valves open.

This doesn't make any sense to me because Florida doesn't have yearly vehicle or emissions testing, also I hear tons of loud ass cars all the time here because people delete their catalytic converters. To make it even more funny while I was stopped there was another GT350 that sped by and he said "oh there's another one"

I could understand maybe if I was being obnoxious and just sitting in traffic bouncing the car off the rev limiter, since I was nearby a school or was driving by pedestrians and just slamming on the throttle to scare them but I didn't do anything like that. As I drove off I saw the cop stop somebody else so maybe the guy was just stopping people just to find something wrong?

Idk the whole ordeal rubbed me the wrong way, and it seems stupid that a stock car is considered too loud. I looked up the state law (here) where there are db limits but they laws explicitly states: No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle or any other noise-abatement device. I really wasn't in the position to argue or create a scene so I just put it in normal mode and then flipped it back after he left. I have driven by cops before with my exhaust flaps open and it never was an issue, I will make a mental note to go to normal mode whenever I see them.
Sadly, he is correct. Exhaust is by db meter. The open valve exhaust is louder than most states exhaust noise limits.
Every time I open the valves, i.e. put the exhaust into track setting, a small pop up comes up to read the manual about track mode use. I.e. not for use on public roadways.
You can always have him go to the station and get the db meter and test your exhaust in that mode, and driven as you were, that day. More than likely you won't like the outcome.
It will be people using these active exhaust modes on public roadways That will cause the leaderships to write laws banning the install of them even at the oem level on public road going vehicles.
O/P don't be "that" guy, use your brain pan.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Sadly, he is correct. Exhaust is by db meter. The open valve exhaust is louder than most states exhaust noise limits.
Every time I open the valves, i.e. put the exhaust into track setting, a small pop up comes up to read the manual about track mode use. I.e. not for use on public roadways.
You can always have him go to the station and get the db meter and test your exhaust in that mode, and driven as you were, that day. More than likely you won't like the outcome.
"But your honour, I was in Normal mode all the time. I have no idea how this cop figured out, using nothing but his ears, that I wasn't. Maybe he cares to explain, and to prove it?"
Sponsored