Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
The first year I had my 06GT I almost put it into a tree with 1/4" of snow on the ground. After that i bought the cheapest set of rims and snow tires from tire rack. These were not all season....just pure snow threads. I had them on all four corners and 200lbs of rock salt in the trunk. Never had any issues after that and ran it all year. Eventually I was able to get it in my garage for the winter months and drive my explorer for crappy weather. It was getting old swaping the tires and salt every spring. The snows made such a difference and it handled great. Not doing that with the 21 GT/CS. She gets to sit until roads are snow and salt free.
Sponsored

RKRZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT MT82 PP1 301A AE MR
To those the drive these in the snow, how bad are they with dedicated winter tires?
They're perfectly fine. It's some of the most fun you can have with these cars. I'm running Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3 255/40/19 on PP1 wheels.

Does anyone winter drive a lowered Mustang?

I'm wondering if 1" lowering springs would kill its winter drivability.

_091026.jpg

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
To those the drive these in the snow, how bad are they with dedicated winter tires?
I used dedicated winter tires (Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3's) on my S197 for five winters. Those tires were phenomenal! Never had any issues driving in foul weather, and there was the added benefit of being more sure-footed even on dry, cold pavement. On my '22 HPP, I am running Bridgestone RE980 AS+, and so far they've been great, even in all the slop SE Michigan got dumped on us yesterday. Some of the newer high-performance all-season tires are starting to approach winter tire-levels of capability in light snow (RE980 AS+ carry an M+S rating, and Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 is high up there too). Of course, nothing beats a true winter tire, but the ride and handling trade-offs of something like a Blizzak didn't make sense for me when SE Michigan gets only maybe 2-4 bad snow days each year. And if things get really bad, I have the luxury of just staying home - I realize not everyone has that option.

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
First and only time my car has seen (a little)
download.png
snow...

Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Was feeling all down in the dumps from my new homeowners insurance bill (hurricane Ian did quite a job) thinking maybe FL wasn't such a good idea. Then you guys posted all these nice pics of .....something if I never see it again it'll be too soon!!! Lmao!! Thanks, guys you made my week!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
How many "What ifs" could we add up? The weight in the trunk is more beneficial than the winter tires themselves.
I have to disagree on that one, only because traction is never the limiting factor, especially with winter tires. Getting going isn't that difficult at all, I even let it rip in 1st and second and while the back end does love to flow one way or the other, it's very easy to keep in control. If the roads are actually snowy I make sure to turn off the traction control so that I can use my foot as needed (stability control won't kick in unless your yaw gets fairly extreme). Adding a bunch of weight back there would just make it more unpredictable and harder to catch if it does get away from you unexpectedly.

The main benefit of winter tires is your steering and braking performance, and the stability of the car when changing lanes in snowy conditions for example. My Blizzaks also do amazing with gripping nasty slushy roads with confidence. But if weight gives you more confidence or you prefer how the car feels, have at it. I just never found it useful.

As a sidenote, while I love how this car drives in the winter conditions, I definitely don't love how finnicky it can be to regularly live with in cold and snow. Frameless windows freezing, slippery clutch pedal, warm up idle taking literally forever to drop (only really affects manual users), gas mileage falling off a cliff, salt on everything, millions of rocks blasting your paint due to the plows constantly tearing up the roads, having to carefully remove snow from the paintwork to avoid scratches, etc. Just lots of considerations and things that slow me down. Whereas in my beater I can just toss my shit in, rub my scratchy brush all over to get the snow off, then just drive off with zero thought or consideration, lol. You have to really not care or probably more accurately, be a person that's always early to everything. I am not that person.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Bad?

They're as good as most other vehicles are. With the same tires, they're as good as any other non 4WD vehicle.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Don't ever put weight in the trunk, that's a really bad idea. From the 1950s. These cars have almost 1/2 their weight over the rear wheels, which is plenty. Adding more will just increase the over-steer in bad weather, create a pendulum effect.

Just do the tires. It's all about the tires.

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT

Sponsored

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
1674917498913.png

This was early December 2022.

<several months later>

Then the supercharger was added and now she sleeps during the winter time.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I am so glad I don't have to drive in that crap anymore. Actually, even if I was still working, I wouldn't have to drive in it very much. We haven't had much snow in at least 3 years.
Better find wood to knock on, because now the snow demons will strike - you'll get 3ft of snow in the next 3 weeks.... :devil:

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Started snowing while at my sons baseball practice. Got 4”-6” on the way. Blizzaks are fantastic in the snow BTW.

88082250-A099-4F7D-A597-44B4DB5591BF.jpeg

EF5467EB-89ED-4E5D-9BB9-E696F07608B1.jpeg

33453DC8-B7CD-4358-A3C0-AA39F3AF9E3A.jpeg

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
anyone drive a torsen diff car in the snow? when leaving from a stop while turning the inside tire seems to "scrub" if light throttle isnt used. seems like that would be interesting in the snow
Sponsored