Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KevinJoyce.HoulihanLawrence.com
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT SP1
I have been daily driving RWD sports cars all four seasons my whole life. Good snow tires and a limited slip make all the difference. When you get used to it, it becomes fun to drive in the snow.

Sponsored

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Years ago I tried that in my Front Wheel Drive Company car.......NO BUENO.......had to go backwards to have any fun makin' donuts!!

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
The 2019 Kona Blue vert I bought was a Ford Rep's car from September 2018 thru March 2019 in OHIO, then went through the sale.......I got it in August 2019 and the underside was a "RUSTY WONDERLAND".....UGH!! :frown:

I washed it well and treated it with Ospho then clear coat paint but finally sold it to Vroom when my Bad Hip was giving me HELL!!:crying:

My new one won't see the rain much less SNOW!!:like::like:

How do you Snow Drivers keep the undersides from rusting away??🤔
Most of the rust you'll see is probably on the stamped steel suspension components. The actual tub of modern cars is pretty well rust proofed. If you're paranoid you can just spray the whole underside with fluid film every fall. You'd be amazed at how well that works, even in some of the most abysmal climates like upstate new york.

Coosawjack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Convertible
Most of the rust you'll see is probably on the stamped steel suspension components. The actual tub of modern cars is pretty well rust proofed. If you're paranoid you can just spray the whole underside with fluid film every fall. You'd be amazed at how well that works, even in some of the most abysmal climates like upstate new york.
I know but it just looked bad......especially the little stamped steel nuts they use to hold insulation up.......they were practically GONE!! Also, the big exhaust resonator was horrible but in a round about way I got it cleaned up and painted too!!

Salt and snow is really pretty rough on cars but cars are made to get you around and that's part of life in The Great White North!!

Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The 2019 Kona Blue vert I bought was a Ford Rep's car from September 2018 thru March 2019 in OHIO, then went through the sale.......I got it in August 2019 and the underside was a "RUSTY WONDERLAND".....UGH!! :frown:

I washed it well and treated it with Ospho then clear coat paint but finally sold it to Vroom when my Bad Hip was giving me HELL!!:crying:

My new one won't see the rain much less SNOW!!:like::like:

How do you Snow Drivers keep the undersides from rusting away??🤔
We don't we just ignore it lol. If you park at least on an asphalt driveway you're looking at like ~20 years of winters and daily driving before the rust will actually start to cause structural or safety issues. Thinks like brake shields will dissolve before that, but its not really a huge concern.

Garaging the car will make it last even longer. Regular washes help a lot too, people who are really worried usually do fluid film which works extremely well.

A lot of guys just garage the car from Thanksgiving to April, but I can't go half the year without my mustang.

I only had one car where I felt the rust was too much and that was a 17 year old street parked honda that had basically never seen a wash. My friends 2002 Maxima finally got bad enough where it had to go and he parked that on grass lol

Last edited:

JohnnyGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'20 Mustang GT, '17 Expedition, '04 LS430
Sexy Lexy slid down the driveway. Sexy EmCel stopped it at the bottom; lost her elbow in the process tho.
4835E187-68C5-4E2A-BE4A-4BE2FAF97C86.jpeg

Last edited:

kmetz77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Conv. 16 Cadi SRX 18 Cadi XT5
Mine's been garaged since early December. Driving the AWD SRX. Don't trust the drivers in NW Indiana. Have only had it out twice in decent weather.
20221024_082745.jpg

Sponsored

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
I drove my GT350 in the snow a few times. No issues at all with the torsen diff. I do generally use light throttle in the winter - even if the roads are dry, though. Snow tires will let you get around fine, but they don't grip like summer performance tires. The torsen probably doesn't do much different than a clutch based trac loc rear.
anyone drive a torsen diff car in the snow? when leaving from a stop while turning the inside tire seems to "scrub" if light throttle isnt used. seems like that would be interesting in the snow
‘22 2.3L HPP with the 3.55 Torsen here…

Give me the Torsen over a Traction-Loc all day and twice on snowy roads. Torsens work on the principle of torque multiplication. Whatever the amount of torque the lowest traction tire can muster, the other one gets 2.7 times the torque. My 5.0 with T-L always chatters the inside tire, even on warm, dry pavement. I’ve never felt the Torsen do that, and I’ve driven my HPP pretty aggressively (just not on snow!).

RE980 AS+ plus Torsen plus Snow/Slippery drive mode plus some common sense equals drives pretty well in light snow.

Now, the six inches of heavy, icy, wet crap that fell two weeks ago? Yeah…. left that one to the AWD Pacifica.