Sponsored

Smoking Tire -picks GT350R over ZL1 1LE

TONYG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I am not sure why Matt even mentioned the GT350R when it was supposed to be a ZL1 1LE review. Maybe be was confused.
roy, Matt is a Ford fanboy and both cars are street/track cars, so I guess I get the comparison, though there is quite a difference in horsepower/torque.
I'd think the R has better road manners compared to the 1LE, I'd still prefer the 1LE myself.:cheers:
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
roy, Matt is a Ford fanboy and both cars are street/track cars, so I guess I get the comparison, though there is quite a difference in horsepower/torque.
I'd think the R has better road manners compared to the 1LE, I'd still prefer the 1LE myself.:cheers:
After seeing it myself in the wild, initial impressions tend to agree.

TONYG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Tom our 1LE is due to be made 10/30, we should have in here before Thanksgiving I hope.
If I could have had a shot at a GT350 R at sticker, that would have been hard to pass on, that sound is incredible as well as its look. When this allocation came up close by at $100 over invoice, the decision was easy and the car is all that!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom our 1LE is due to be made 10/30, we should have in here before Thanksgiving I hope.
If I could have had a shot at a GT350 R at sticker, that would have been hard to pass on, that sound is incredible as well as its look. When this allocation came up close by at $100 over invoice, the decision was easy and the car is all that!
I have 2 R's. I don't regret anything. I saw Matt's video on the 1LE. It left no impression. I saw a 1LE in the wild in San Jose. It grabbed my attention. The sound, the look, etc..... wow. IMHO, if it is a track car you are after in this class at this moment in time, then the 1LE is a better option.

All around street/track compromise, the 1LE is probably not your best option. I think that was the jist of the video.

Sponsored

TONYG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I might track it, possibly. I just wanted an odd/rare bird.
The 350R or the 1LE fit the bill, now, my ass may regret it...we'll see gents.

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I saw Matt's video on the 1LE. It left no impression. I saw a 1LE in the wild in San Jose. It grabbed my attention.
Same story here. I saw the videos for the 1LE like meh, saw one at Mid Ohio in the paddock and -- that thing is pretty sexy.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Same story here. I saw the videos for the 1LE like meh, saw one at Mid Ohio in the paddock and -- that thing is pretty sexy.
As stated above, a one trick track pony. If the track is the game, it's the tits now. Lets see what ford comes up with very shortly.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
There is a ZL1 here in town. They also own a GT350. I did not know it was a ZL1 until I talked to the couple and saw the badging at a cars and coffee. Only seen the ZL1 1LE in photos and in videos and that car looks mean and stands out. The ZL1 not so much.

Sponsored

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind can pay over MSRP for a Camaro given GMs history of deep discounts over time.
Remember what C7Z06s sold for? Now I can get one specd exactly the way I want for about the same price as my R

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
The ZL1 1LE is like the Viper of the pony cars. One trick but damn does it trick.
as a former viper owner your dead on as a one trick pony although I loved looking at the car it just did not fulfill me but over 100 mph awfully nice Finally did not like the offset on the brake and clutch pedals mine was 2001 gts

TONYG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt350
As far as a one trick pony, it has an issue launching and GM is looking into a re-flash or so I've read, it either bogs or spins which sucks.
Now some have flashed that issue out ( torque management? ), but at the risk of losing your warranty. Once this car launches properly, it should be a high 11's/track capable monster.

2-trick pony.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The extra weight he carries just amplified the road effect, but they truly don't ride on roads well, Chevy made that very clear.
Chubby-ness noted.
I don’t know, I have driven trucks my whole life including 4-wheel F150 and they are stiff. So I can’t see it being as bad as they say/show.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I don’t know, I have driven trucks my whole life including 4-wheel F150 and they are stiff. So I can’t see it being as bad as they say/show.
LOL. Have you driven a car that has the suspension welded directly to the chassis? I have. Stiff is an understatement. Also the DSSV shocks have only one setting which in this case are tuned for track duty AKA STIFF. lol. Comparing this setup to a 4x4 pick up suspension is apples to oranges. SMH
Sponsored

Last edited: