Sponsored

Smoking Tire -picks GT350R over ZL1 1LE

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I just think Ford's still got the script and Chevy doesn't have a clue...

1LE ZL1 is definitely Z/28 pt 2, a massive track star for sure but absolutely terrible as a daily...

meanwhile Mustang is on a 'turning kick' as well, with a trajectory of road course ready 'stangs that are not necessarily the fanciest, or have the lowest numbers but offer the best bang for buck bar none daily car + backroad car + track day car available in USA... GT350 like the Boss 302 and arguably the Bullitt, and Cobra R's before it ... is definitely in line with their vision.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Good video. I always enjoy Matt's reviews

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Chevy has said since Day 1 donā€™t buy the ZL1 1LE as a daily. Thatā€™s what the regular ZL1 is for. Watching him bounce around on back roads looked painful.

Ford Performance has found the sweet spot between regular driving and track use with the GT350. Fingers crossed the GT500 maintains that balance with more straight line speed.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Chevy has said since Day 1 donā€™t buy the ZL1 1LE as a daily. Thatā€™s what the regular ZL1 is for. Watching him bounce around on back roads looked painful.

Ford Performance has found the sweet spot between regular driving and track use with the GT350. Fingers crossed the GT500 maintains that balance with more straight line speed.
A track only car with a good stereo and crap seats?

OP
OP
16GT350

16GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
The seats just don't make sense in a "track only" car. Clearly they are trying to sell it to non-trackrats if they put heated/cooled seats in it - maybe it's an option package?

Sponsored

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500
Thanks for the link, and his assessment is spot on about the car's, not hating cause the 1LE is a beast.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Beast indeed. But the those dampers on the street...ouch. Never thought I'd say it but they are a bit too much. The ZL1 1LE is a track whore above all else to be used sparingly on the street. Unless you actually prefer bouncy bounce.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I wonder how the ZL1 1LE rides when you get out of the car and soften the dampers to a "street" setting...

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I wonder how the ZL1 1LE rides when you get out of the car and soften the dampers to a "street" setting...
They're not actively adjustable, they're dynamically adjustable. So basically as the car changes the shocks change but once they're valved, they're valved. No going back.

EDIT: Unlike MagneRide or MSRC where the computer is making decisions for the shocks, spool valve shocks work solely off of physics. Basically, there's an additional piston inside the valve control that reacts as the suspension reacts. Think of like a damper within a damper that allows shock fluid to flow different based on how hard the primary tube piston is moving. And I should clarify that spool valve shocks can be adjustable if the manufacturer chooses to like the Ford GT. But that requires additional engineering to control the valve spool.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Basically the C7 Z06's LT4 (w/ additional heat exchangers) in the 6g Camaro chassis.... a fast beast with that supercharger of course. The 1LE-specific aero etc. obviously also helps. This was the 650hp ZL1 I had to point by... screams down the straight line! My 370hp 911 had no chance. :D

But I'd still rather have a GT350-R with its au naturel Voodoo. Sounds better/looks better and more unique, much more special...
911-ZL1.JPG
Sponsored