Sponsored

Smoking at idle magically stopped, good or bad?

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Manual w/PP
Not so quick background go to bottom for a tl;dr

Catless downpipe was installed in Nov 2015. The car NEVER smoked before this install but from now on smoking was the norm and alleviated by holding my idle at 1200 till the smoke cleared. You're probably thinking why didn't he get a catch can dummy?
Well couple reasons, one being it wasn't a garunteed fix. If you search still smoking; catch can; you'll see threads of poeple still having the issue.

Reason two, If the smoking didn't stop even after a catch can and gutting the pcv my last resort would be my dealership; having to explain myself to a ford tech why I gutted anything on the car because the Internet told me to, well I just didn't want to be put in that position. Mind you I respect the knowledge of everybody on here and I'm just trying to convey how outsiders or anybody who doesn't use these forums would look at the situation.

Anyhow back to to the smoking issue.
So since my first mod in November 2015, the smoking issue has kind've been annoying not really cause it didn't always happen. I've installed more mods since then and had the car tuned in Feb/March. Nothing tune wise nor mod wise has cause more or less smoke.

Frequent oil changes every 4-5000miles using rotella t-6 w/wix filters
Car has 13k miles currently
Always fed Shell and Chevron 93 gasoline since day one.
New NGk whatever lower temp properly gapped plugs installed at 5k miles
Car originally had 22 miles when I bought it and I always let it warm up every single key cycle.
I don't track the car and I decline many minivans and gt's who want to race on the highway.
So as you can see I think it's safe to say I follow the mustang6g bible as far as maintenance and car care goes (minus the catch can).

Things got weird on my second oil change [MENTION=17112]10[/MENTION]k miles, which is done by yours truly. Smoking stopped on first start up and was gone for about 16 key cycles spanning 3 days. Then came back worse. At laptop lights drive thrus everywhere. I was making "fat clouds" as they say and would win any vape competition. Lol. I messaged some people and a catch can was recommend duh. A week or two goes by as I research which one to get but the smoking just stopped?? I can idle for 5min or 20 min, after a long drive or after just staring it up. Not even a hint of smoke. The only thing that's changed is the temperature outside. Living in San Antonio,tx the weather just started being crappy hot and humid mid April. It's been 3k miles and no smoke has come out. I don't know if this is good or bad. I want to get it checked out to see what the valves look like and see if there is oil in my intake but wanted to see what you guys thought.

Tl;dr
Car smoked on off @idle for 10,000 miles. After oil change [MENTION=17112]10[/MENTION]k car smoked heavy for 3 days then vanished for 3,000 and counting. Is this good or bad? I can't tell if there's smoke that comes out during the occasional wot pulls to get on the highway, but idle is smokeless for sure. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I think your car is like me, only likes warm weather. Seriously though, the temperature is the only thing I can think of if you didn't change anything.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
One thing I noticed is you are using gas from Shell which uses no ethanol and Chevron which uses 10% ethanol. While the computer is very capable of adjusting between the 2 on the fly, my personal preference is to stick with 1 or the other. Most gas companies have gone to a 10% (E10) ethanol mix on their regular gas now. I like using E10 as I think it burns cleaner. I could be wrong, that was the justification I used though.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Get the updated oil seperator/pcv. That will solve it.

I do find it funny you are fine with a catless DP, tune, and aftermarket wg actuator but won't gut a pcv with a catch can because you are worried about having to explain it to ford.

OP
OP
Fridge

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Get the updated oil seperator/pcv. That will solve it.

I do find it funny you are fine with a catless DP, tune, and aftermarket wg actuator but won't gut a pcv with a catch can because you are worried about having to explain it to ford.
nice I'll try that! Ya I didn't want to gut something I was thinking might have had to be replaced and not guaranteed to fix the problem. Did you update yours yourself?

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nice I'll try that! Ya I didn't want to gut something I was thinking might have had to be replaced and not guaranteed to fix the problem. Did you update yours yourself?

Yup.. I updated mine myself. Details on everything are here..

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49040&page=2

I'm about 1500 miles in on the updated oil separator/pcv ungutted at this point and there is no smoke at idle at all and the Catch can is is accumulating 1/2 as much oil as it used to.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Been running the Cobb catted downpipe for about 4 months now and never saw smoke at idle until this past weekend. Smoked like crazy when warming up at a car show then went away after 5 minutes or so. Mine hasn't returned since...:confused:
I'm not sure why the smoke mysteriously comes and goes. Wish I could take my car in for the TSB without dealer flagging me for the tune and mods. So I'm just hoping it doesn't return. If it does maybe I'll have to install the new separator myself even though I don't want to. Only option for us with mods it seems. :frusty:

OP
OP
Fridge

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Yup.. I updated mine myself. Details on everything are here..

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49040&page=2

I'm about 1500 miles in on the updated oil separator/pcv ungutted at this point and there is no smoke at idle at all and the Catch can is is accumulating 1/2 as much oil as it used to.
Sweet I just ordered the part today, it's actually really cheap?! I'll post pics of my old one and cut it open like you did to see what's going on in there. Should be in by Friday.

OP
OP
Fridge

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Been running the Cobb catted downpipe for about 4 months now and never saw smoke at idle until this past weekend. Smoked like crazy when warming up at a car show then went away after 5 minutes or so. Mine hasn't returned since...:confused:
I'm not sure why the smoke mysteriously comes and goes. Wish I could take my car in for the TSB without dealer flagging me for the tune and mods. So I'm just hoping it doesn't return. If it does maybe I'll have to install the new separator myself even though I don't want to. Only option for us with mods it seems. :frusty:
Just install the new pcv from the parts department, it's like 22$. Should help if you're randomly getting smoke and if that fails a catch can would be you're next step. Here's a pic of what it looks like and part number, thanks to pewtercam.
1463529686.image.jpg

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Thanks, yeah I guess I'll have to install it myself if the smoke comes back. I know pewtercam thought it was a pretty easy install but any kind of write-up or pictures of your experience would be appreciated!

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, yeah I guess I'll have to install it myself if the smoke comes back. I know pewtercam thought it was a pretty easy install but any kind of write-up or pictures of your experience would be appreciated!
There is a written guide in the thread I posted above. Also Tune+ has a YouTube video going step by step removing the intake to install a upr dvcc and gut the pcv. Should be easy to search on there.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
There is a written guide in the thread I posted above. Also Tune+ has a YouTube video going step by step removing the intake to install a upr dvcc and gut the pcv. Should be easy to search on there.
I saw your instructions, just would be nice to see what I'm looking for sometimes during those steps. I'll check out Adam's video thanks.

neodark

Left 4cyl @home
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
It's not hard at all, you just have to remove bolts and Adam's video is great.

If anything, a few of those bolts are hard to get to but with patience and a few tools it's doable. You need a long extension for the intake bolts.

OP
OP
Fridge

Fridge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
So i picked up my revised PCV from Ford today. It's the one with the blue spout on top. Searched for Adam's video and gave up after 2 minutes.

Engine cover was easy just 2 bolts and 2 nuts..different sizes:mad:
Since this was my first time doing this I made sure to disconnect all the sensors on top of the intake. Common sense, if I'm gonna take the darn thing off I cant have crap plugged into it.

Here's a pic after the intake was off and my heart broke when I saw oil in the runners of the intake.
FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

Here's old PCV that dripped oil all over the engine block when i removed it.

FullSizeRender(2).jpg

Here's the valve in Cyl #1 right side (the left intake hole is when my phone overheated.)

FullSizeRender(3).jpg

Cyl#2 the right intake hole was clean

FullSizeRender(4).jpg

My Iphone overheated so the flash turned off and wouldn't come back on (probably from sticking it into the runners lol). I didn't have enough light or else I would've posted more pics of all my valves. Cylinders #3 and #4 were probably just as bad and my car only has 13,000 miles. I let the car idle for like 10 min no smoke. revved it a couple of times and idle another 10 min. no smoke....for now, need a catch can!

So ya, just thought I'd update ya'll i broke two of those little clips holding the vacuum hoses, you can see in the photos. So be careful with those, luckily they still do the job, kinda.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
The mad faces just make the photos, Fridge. Lol
Sponsored