Sponsored

Smell of Burning Rubber

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
I picked up a 2017 Auto GT Saturday. Today I pushed it to just before redline, about 6000 RPMs. Right after, I noticed a burning rubber smell. Is this normal for a break in car or should I be worried? Car has about 300 KMs on it.
Sponsored

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
There is another thread that I started a while back that is similar...my 15 GT/PP has done that since new. After a full throttle blast my car interior smells of rotten eggs just like catalytic converter smell.
I changed the exhaust to the Ford Sport catback and later to the Corsa Extreme and it still remains the same smell....it's annoying but I learned to live with it.
Several others have had this same issue, with many saying wait till the cats get a few miles on them and it will go away....well mine never did.

I never went back to the dealer with this issue since I swapped exhausts early on just for them to say it's the new exhaust....but it was like that from day one.

OP
OP

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
There is another thread that I started a while back that is similar...my 15 GT/PP has done that since new. After a full throttle blast my car interior smells of rotten eggs just like catalytic converter smell.
I changed the exhaust to the Ford Sport catback and later to the Corsa Extreme and it still remains the same smell....it's annoying but I learned to live with it.
Several others have had this same issue, with many saying wait till the cats get a few miles on them and it will go away....well mine never did.

I never went back to the dealer with this issue since I swapped exhausts early on just for them to say it's the new exhaust....but it was like that from day one.
Ok, so it's not a break in thing? Does your car run well or give you any drivetrain issues?

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Pretty normal on new cars. Just grease and oil getting evaporated off the exhausts and stuff.

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My car STILL emits that smell after applying anywhere from 60 to 100 percent throttle. It almost has 7,000 miles on it, by the way, so I'm not sure why it still makes that smell. Regardless, it runs like a champ so :shrug:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
Thanks guys! To follow up just a few more questions, 1) do I need to warm up the car upon starting it up? And 2) Does it come with full synthetic oil or semi synthetic?

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
Ok, so it's not a break in thing? Does your car run well or give you any drivetrain issues?
The GT runs good, no complaints...just the smell...:eyebulge:

Pretty normal on new cars. Just grease and oil getting evaporated off the exhausts and stuff.
I don't know, why some do and some don't....it's not consistent with all mustangs..???

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The GT runs good, no complaints...just the smell...:eyebulge:

I don't know, why some do and some don't....it's not consistent with all mustangs..???
It just happens you smelt it.
Some people probably never noticed it.

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
My car has almost 20k and stinks if you beat on it real hard. Not sure if there is an exhaust leak or what but it's something I have grown accustomed to.

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Had mine for a month now and she stinks sometimes when I put her up after I get home. Hoping it wears off. At about 1300 miles now.

Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Thanks guys! To follow up just a few more questions, 1) do I need to warm up the car upon starting it up? And 2) Does it come with full synthetic oil or semi synthetic?
Depends on what you mean by warming up. Modern cars do not need to sit at idle for any extended period after start. However, you should not floor it immediately after (or shortly after) start. Drive normally until at operating temp.

LICobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 K0933
It just happens you smelt it.
Some people probably never noticed it.
The smell in mine is very noticeable...can't miss it. Smells like farts after taco bell...very noticeable...:doh:

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In the winter I warm it up for about 5 minutes before moving and in the warmer seasons I warm it up only for about a minute. In both circumstances I won't apply any aggressive throttle until the car is fully up to temp.

The car comes with semi-synthetic from the factory but I switched to full synthetic.

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
mine has stopped making that plastic burning smell around 15k miles
it will still make that burning rotten eggs smell due to the cats, which is normal under high load/throttle
Sponsored