Sponsored

Smaller Key Fob for 2018 - 2020 Mustangs.

Moonhowl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium, 2018 Nissan Frontier, 2000 Harley
Back in 2016, Libertos started a brilliant thread on how to reduce the size of the Mustang key fobs. Ford engineers designed the Mustang key fobs to be easily found at the bottom of a lady’s purse. They did not seem concerned that they would not fit in a man’s pants pocket.

Libertos’ solution was to remove the pc board and battery from the case, disable the push buttons, throw away the case, and wrap the battery and pc board with electrical tape and carry it in his wallet. Others took his idea a bit further, and designed 3D printed cases that were much more compact than Ford’s obese monstrosity.

I got my hands on the .STL files for the compact case, and had a friend 3D print on for me. I bought a spare key fob on eBay for $55, programmed it following the instructions in the owner’s manual, then after verifying that it worked, I cracked it open and removed the pc board and battery. That’s when I discovered that the board and battery would not fit in the mini case.

It appears that they changed the key fob design for 2018 - 2020. The board is bigger, and the new design uses one larger CR2450 battery instead of the two smaller ones in the previous design. The new design has both battery terminals attached to the same side of the circuit board. The old design had one of the terminals attached to the case.

I proceeded with my modification, even though I am not sure what I will do for a case. I removed the four surface Mount push buttons by grasping them with needle nose pliers from above and giving them a firm twist. I know I took a risk, but I was certain that they were simply normally open contacts and they were not completing any circuits when not pressed. I was right. I held the battery in place on the circuit board and my Mustang started right up.

Now that I know it works, all I have to do is figure out how to package it. If anyone has already done this and has a slim case designed, I would love to see it.

here are some pictures.

BF874DB5-8225-42D5-8BB0-A3ED5BE8CF01.jpeg

40FDF02B-489C-4936-8506-DE2590B5AC73.jpeg

87582E37-3C26-4F8A-9D7B-CEE58380290B.jpeg

2FE512F4-E4E5-4990-8E37-53D467E14B9D.jpeg

61BEE23D-D2C1-4307-B69F-3ED901E26212.jpeg
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ford should have made the freaking fob smaller to begin with; it's the biggest I've seen, and owned. Not sure you'll be able to make it much smaller, with that big a$$ battery. And you wouldn't have any buttons in case you need them. Just bought a new fancy Tesla for my wife, and you can use your phone as the fob; brilliant idea.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Just bought a new fancy Tesla for my wife, and you can use your phone as the fob; brilliant idea.
Can do the same thing on the Ford Pass App on your phone.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I don't think you can use it as a replacement for the fob; at least you couldn't in my F-150 Platinum. Or did that change? On the Tesla, the phone is your fob, and you can also do anything from there, from turning HVAC on/off before you use the car (pretty neat), pre-condition the battery, open and close trunks, lock/unlock car, honk the horn, stop charging, send destinations, see where the car is, etc. The fob part is via bluetooth, so you have to have the app active, to work as your fob.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
I don't think you can use it as a replacement for the fob; at least you couldn't in my F-150 Platinum. Or did that change? On the Tesla, the phone is your fob, and you can also do anything from there, from turning HVAC on/off before you use the car (pretty neat), pre-condition the battery, open and close trunks, lock/unlock car, honk the horn, stop charging, send destinations, see where the car is, etc. The fob part is via bluetooth, so you have to have the app active, to work as your fob.
I have not tried to drive the cars without a fob, but the Ford Pass App or Lincoln Way App allow you to:
- Lock or unlock the vehicle
- Start to stop the engine. The A/C & seat controls go to last settings.
- Shows tire pressures, vehicle location, mileage, fuel level (and miles to empty), service intervals and next service (+ oil life remaining). WiFi Hot Spot status.
- Can make a Service Appt. Select closest dealer.
- Shows Recalls, VIN, License number (if you stored it),
- See Warranty or Extended Service Plan that you have purchased.
Pretty much anything you need.

But as I noted, haven’t tried to drive the 2019 and 2020 vehicles without a fob. Many 2021+ Ford Vehicles will come without a fob. Must use a smart device. I haven’t checked to see if a fob is an option on those vehicles. I’m sure many people will still want one.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'd probably prefer a fob myself, but since everybody always carry their phones, seems like a good way not to forget it. Ha ha. And since Tesla charges $150 for one, will keep using the phone :).

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I can't imagine wasting time on a project like this, no offense lol. Get a bigger pocket? Literally never once thought "this key is too big, let me waste a bunch of time taking it apart to make it slightly smaller". Lol. Part of the size is so that it's properly cushioned when dropped and water resistant.

Also, part of the case houses the physical key for the door lock in case the battery ever dies. Better hope it doesn't.

inspecto

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Are you just happy to see me or is that your key fob???:rockon::beer:

Drugdealr

LOLKBYE
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
I have not tried to drive the cars without a fob, but the Ford Pass App or Lincoln Way App allow you to:
- Lock or unlock the vehicle
- Start to stop the engine. The A/C & seat controls go to last settings.
- Shows tire pressures, vehicle location, mileage, fuel level (and miles to empty), service intervals and next service (+ oil life remaining). WiFi Hot Spot status.
- Can make a Service Appt. Select closest dealer.
- Shows Recalls, VIN, License number (if you stored it),
- See Warranty or Extended Service Plan that you have purchased.
Pretty much anything you need.

But as I noted, haven’t tried to drive the 2019 and 2020 vehicles without a fob. Many 2021+ Ford Vehicles will come without a fob. Must use a smart device. I haven’t checked to see if a fob is an option on those vehicles. I’m sure many people will still want one.
Additionally, Lincoln have the ability to use what they PAAK or Phone As A Key, where it works like a Tesla. no Ford branded vehicle besides the Mach E have that functionality.

Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
This must be some kind of skinny jeans problem.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
No matter how small they make the key, it will still be a far cry from Jaguar's bracelet. That's the most elegant and most comfortable solution I know of. If someone managed to transplant the internals of a Ford key to a Jaguar bracelet and market that, I would be the first to buy it.
I have looked into programming a Jaguar bracelet to work with a Ford vehicle, but apparently that's not possible. The communication protocol seems to be incompatible.

Last edited:

Reddirocket27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 CPO EB Prem Conv w/ 201A
I'd probably prefer a fob myself, but since everybody always carry their phones, seems like a good way not to forget it. Ha ha. And since Tesla charges $150 for one, will keep using the phone :).
Pretty sure the german brand fob's are like $600-$800...

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Of all the things I carry in my pockets, the key fob is by far the smallest.

libtrucker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP, 1995 F-250 XL
Damn, you guys beat me to the dick jokes :facepalm:
Sponsored