Slow oil leak on 2015 S550 GT

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
Lately I've notice small oil drops in my various parking area's, I've kept a watch in the dip stick which is still in the safe zone. Today, I looked underneath and found what looks to be oil on the power steering module as well as it's wiring loom. The oil pan cover has oil on the inside as well. The oil filter is on tight, as is the oil drain plug, and neither appears to be leaking. All oil changes have been done by the dealership. Has anyone else had a mysterious fluid leak on their Coyote motors in the area I described? I'll be contacting my dealership Monday morning, and if past service work is a guide, I imaging the dealer will have it for many weeks. I thank you for your help.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Check the OPS (oil pressure switch) - it should be located above the oil filter.

This is a known issue where some folks have found the sender to be loose.

Just tighten it, spray down entire affected area with either Carb Cleaner, Brakeleen or even Simple Green - rinse, dry all areas to be sure there is no residual oil left and then check again for any leaks.

OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I've doing more searching and a common issue with Coyote motor was the Oil Pump Gear inside the motor. The plastic gear would break apart and drop oil pressure to zero usually seizing the motor. When for built the GT350 and GT500 the replace the plastic gear with billet aluminum. I have not been able to determine if the plastic gear broke after the owner installed a super charger. I am hoping it's something as simple as the oil pressure switch which won't require tearing the motor apart. Just any FYI.. I have a 2015 GT, no engine mods, no supercharger, no performance pack

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Not sure where you’re getting the info that the 5.0 Coyote has a “plastic” OPG... that is so false in every sense of the word false.

Are you possibly discussing another part other than the OPG and possibly have mixed up the information or terminology??

Direct quote form AM’s pages (and this can be backed up by any tech on this site):
The Difference Between Stock and Aftermarket Mustang Oil Pump Gears
Stock Mustang oil pump gears are made from a brittle powdered metal which are fine in stock and mild bolt-on applications, but when pushed have trouble holding up with the added stress of drastically increased horsepower. Part of the reason the issue with oil pump gears was never discovered by Ford is because their factory stress-tests never pushed into the range of factors that would cause OPGs to fail; it wasn’t until the aftermarket got a hold of the Mustang until the issue became apparent.

Aftermarket Mustang oil pump gears are constructed from billet steel and CNC machined for a precise fit. When buying aftermarket oil pump gears, you’ll want to go with the more trusted, well-known brands available and not the shoddy, fly-by-night alternatives because they need to be expertly machined in order to hold up.
I’m also confused how you went from discussing your oil leak to the OPG. If the OPG shatters, you’re not going to have an oil leak (unless there was catastrophic engine failure due to the OPG shattering - and by then, your concern won’t be an oil leak it will be the ventilated block due to loss of oil pressure and oil starvation...).

Not trying to be difficult with you, but am giving you solid info and tech.

If you have an oil leak and you have already confirmed it’s not coming from the filter or drain plug, have you checked the OPS as I previously posted? It’s been confirmed by many (including Shelby owners) that the OPS has been found to be loose, which is the source of a common oil leak as you describe.

Check both of your valve covers too - as that’s been another confirmed source of common oil seepage on the Coyote. See attached docs for both L and R side valve cover info.

The attached images is to show the location of the 2015 5.0 OPS (Ford refers to it as the ‘EOP’ engine oil pressure switch) and also for the oil level sensor location. Check both those areas for any oil seepage.
CA108ECA-1539-4C07-B44F-276ED330F979.jpeg

Attachments

OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
I moved onto the OPG only because I checked the switch, oil filter and they had no oil on them, yet the front of the motor where the power steering harness and module is and they have oil on them as does the front of inside of the oil pan cover. I spoke with a Ford service manager friend of mine and said that from my description, and the fact that the area's of the switch were clean, it could be the timing chain seal. He also suggested that since I have an oil issue, to watch the oil pressure due the OPG issues on super charger add-ons, even though I did not have the a super charger nor drove in the high RPM range. Hence my updated post. I did check my valve covers and oil filler cap and they are void of oil leaks as well. I am in no way discounting your advise, in fact I appreciate them. It gives me a place to start before taking it to the dealership. Thank you.

Sponsored

FlaGrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic PP GT
The cam covers get loose and leak oil also. May be worth checking.

I had a leak on the Drivers side at the back. Also found that mine were loose on both sides.

And now that i posted that i see you mentioned in your last post.

However I could not trace the oil leak to the covers visually, I was only able to tell after getting a socket onto the bolts, that they were loose.

OP
OP
pctek

pctek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB 401A
My Ford dealer identified the leak as coming from the oil pan. They have ordered new seals/gaskets and hardware but no oil pan... geez.
Sponsored