Sponsored

Slotted rotor vendors and pricing

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Guys! I think I've hit gold!
R1concepts has reasonably priced rotors that are slotted only (other options available too)
Have any of you dealt with R1Concepts?
They're cheap, yeah, but my thinking is it's iron, it shouldn't be too hard to make a quality rotor.

Thoughts?

https://www.r1concepts.com
All I can say is I bought some slotted and drilled rotors that were reasonably priced from a company that is pretty high profile. Afterward, I saw a few failures on track. Scary failures where folks were lucky not to be killed. I believe now they don't even offer them in other than a flat disc for any type of track application. Granted, even if you aren't tracking the car, stopping is pretty important and not worth taking the chance! The OEM's are more than capable until I can get a set of quality two piece rotors.
Sponsored

OP
OP

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
All I can say is I bought some slotted and drilled rotors that were reasonably priced from a company that is pretty high profile. Afterward, I saw a few failures on track. Scary failures where folks were lucky not to be killed. I believe now they don't even offer them in other than a flat disc for any type of track application. Granted, even if you aren't tracking the car, stopping is pretty important and not worth taking the chance! The OEM's are more than capable until I can get a set of quality two piece rotors.
Having had my experience with slotted, I know they do actually hold up better than just a plain hunk of metal. I've never liked drilled and there's a reason FIA banned the use of them.
My reason for asking about past experiences may have been vague (and the expected answers even more so)
So I'll just bite the bullet on it and get them and measure their thickness vs OE replacements. That should give me a good idea what I could expect, no?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
You answered your own question. Because the slotted and drilled are rubbish. It has nothing to do with how labor intensive they are. Besides they’re all CNC machined, so for the manufacturer is the difference between which file they send to the CNC machine

Baer Eradispeed is an excellent rotor that is slotted and cross drilled. They are not cheap they run about $1700 for the set of 4. Whats nice is you save over 30lbs of rotational mass with the set of 4.

OEM GT350/GT350R rotors are cross drilled.

racingandfishing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Having had my experience with slotted, I know they do actually hold up better than just a plain hunk of metal. I've never liked drilled and there's a reason FIA banned the use of them.
My reason for asking about past experiences may have been vague (and the expected answers even more so)
So I'll just bite the bullet on it and get them and measure their thickness vs OE replacements. That should give me a good idea what I could expect, no?
Slotted, drilled or neither are not necessarily better with or without. It is about the integrity of the casting and the the material. Not all rotors are created equal and thickness has nothing to do with it.

EDIT - And a new definition to a two piece rotor. These were hub failures likely related to casting and material. Can't imaging trying to stop and this happening.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/powerstop-rotor-failure.146666/

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...-beware-of-track-day-rotors-by-powerstop.html

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Guys! I think I've hit gold!
R1concepts has reasonably priced rotors that are slotted only (other options available too)
Have any of you dealt with R1Concepts?
They're cheap, yeah, but my thinking is it's iron, it shouldn't be too hard to make a quality rotor.

Thoughts?

https://www.r1concepts.com
I'm all for saving money but do be careful going too cheap. This is not a part where you want failures. Imagine if a rotor completely failed you while on track, that could end up in a totaled car... just something to consider.

Also, you want high carbon content. I used low carbon rotors before on track and they warped and hot spotted after one day because they couldn't handle the added heat.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I got all 4, slotted and dimpled for 320 shipped from rotorpro. Been using his parts for over 15 years now with no issues.

OP
OP

PorscheHusky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang, 1974 260Z
I got all 4, slotted and dimpled for 320 shipped from rotorpro. Been using his parts for over 15 years now with no issues.
What purpose do the dimples serve or are those aesthetics?