Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I’m looking to change the silver exhaust tips on my GT to black. I have the active exhaust, which I’d like to keep, so my options are apparently limited.

I’ve searched here and it seems that I’m not the only one interested in this upgrade. I’ve found these in my internet searches and want to get peoples thoughts.

This would be perfect and is the only true slip on that I’ve been able to find, but it’s only available in chrome and the company is based out of Australia:
https://www.burgdesign.com.au/exhaust-tips/ford-mustang-gt-exhaust-pipe-set

Heres a video of the above sleeves that I stumbled across:

I did find this on Amazon but the outlet is 4”. My tips are 3.5” with 1/2” space between, so I’m thinking these will rub together. I’m tempted to just buy them to try it though.
https://a.co/d/f9fkbq3

What do you guys think? Do we as active exhaust owners have any other easy, slip on options for changing out exhaust tips?
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I feel your pain, but I also don't like how a lot of the slip on tips look ... :frown:

They just don't seem to fit the valence well or flow with the angles i.e. they look 'bolt on' rather than OE (pictures from your link) :

1672914292279.png

1672914337957.png

1672914664196.png

How Ford intended them to fit (be it mine are a little shorter as I gave the active exhaust loom a little more clearance) :

1672914490739.jpeg

1672914520706.jpeg

1672914546622.jpeg

I'm still searching for the 'perfect' tips ... :frown:

WD :like:

OP
OP
Ballistica

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I feel your pain, but I also don't like how a lot of the slip on tips look ... :frown:

They just don't seem to fit the valence well or flow with the angles i.e. they look 'bolt on' rather than OE (pictures from your link) :

1672914292279.png

1672914337957.png

1672914664196.png

How Ford intended them to fit (be it mine are a little shorter as I gave the active exhaust loom a little more clearance) :

1672914490739.jpeg

1672914520706.jpeg

1672914546622.jpeg

It's a never ending search, haha.

I'm going to be installing a h-pipe this spring, I might look into getting the tips powder coated after I cut the resonator out. I'd hate to turn a 2 hour project into a 3 day project but your right, the bolt ons just don't look as good as the OEM tips.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

1672914292279.png

1672914337957.png

1672914664196.png

1672914490739.jpeg

1672914520706.jpeg

1672914546622.jpeg

I agree. The slip-on versions look "off".
They look jammed together because there is not enough space between the pipes to do it right.
They don't match the contour of the rear valence so they look staggered, one sticking out farther than the other. You can see the slanted OEM tip inside the end of the slip-on due to the angled cut of the OEM tips. Being able to see the clamps is also a no.
IMO to make it look right, polish and deburr the muffler tips and call it a day as @WD Pro has done.

The other options are far too cost prohibitive unless you have access to Mach1 or GT500 OEM mufflers that have the tips as part of the mufflers. Then you may need a new rear valence for clearance to the larger tips.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
It's a never ending search, haha.

I'm going to be installing a h-pipe this spring, I might look into getting the tips powder coated after I cut the resonator out. I'd hate to turn a 2 hour project into a 3 day project but your right, the bolt ons just don't look as good as the OEM tips.
As you are fitting a H pipe, there are a few things for you to consider :

Ref the fitment of the H pipe and Fords ongoing problem with chaffing the AE loom on the UK (drivers) side, here were my mods in an attempt to fix the problem :

A) Shorten the cut line.

B) Shorten the end of the H / X pipe where it mates to the original system.

C) Ensure everything is pushed fully home on reassembly.

Mine had loads of clearance when cold, but it must expand and move around a lot when hot and under torque.

Mine had just started to rub the heat tape :

1666564188873.jpeg

Repaired with a bit of sacrificial protection :

1666564241442.jpeg

Rough cut in the right place, then a bit of a reduction and a neatening :

1666564318623.jpeg

1666564509270.jpeg

1666564344446.jpeg

H pipe reduction

1666564398206.jpeg

1666564420873.jpeg

That should give approximately 15mm of extra clearance at the back end :like:

So here it is fitted after those two mods - not the easiest of things to capture on a photo … lol

1669489486746.jpeg

I believe this to be a much better option than the other method of relieving (i.e. cutting away or hammering out of the way) the frame in that area :shock:

Loads of clearance now and the wiring in that photo is very relaxed, it could easily be encouraged to be a little more forward if required.

Tailpipe fit is in my option is perfect, the cut angles fit with the flow of the rear valance perfectly :

1669489712744.jpeg

1669489763065.jpeg

1669489785197.jpeg

1669489805711.jpeg

i.e. I don’t think shortening the cut point and h pipe compromised the rear fit - and maybe even improved it … :like:

Although the standard pipes have some aesthetic weaknesses, the fit and how they flow with the valance is in my opinion very good and better than a lot of the aftermarket offerings, they just need to look a little 'cooler' - I've not totally given up on some form of tail trim just yet ...

From here : https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...0-gt-build-thread.135538/page-29#post-3682347

I had my exhaust metallic ceramic coated and I toyed with the idea of doing the tips. The company I used had gloss / satin / matt black options and they would do the tips in a different colour (my exhaust is silver) or they could have done just the tips.

I decided not to, but only because the standard tips in black (like the Bullitt) may have actually made them look smaller and more discreet. Ultimately I want black tips, but I want 'bigger' black tips :like:

Let us know what you end up doing - I'm genuinely interested :like:

I agree. The slip-on versions look "off".
They look jammed together because there is not enough space between the pipes to do it right.
They don't match the contour of the rear valence so they look staggered, one sticking out farther than the other. You can see the slanted OEM tip inside the end of the slip-on due to the angled cut of the OEM tips. Being able to see the clamps is also a no.
IMO to make it look right, polish and deburr the muffler tips and call it a day as @WD Pro has done.

The other options are far too cost prohibitive unless you have access to Mach1 or GT500 OEM mufflers that have the tips as part of the mufflers. Then you may need a new rear valence for clearance to the larger tips.
Thank you :like:

Ref the gap between the tips - that's what stopped me when I was working with a carbon company for custom tips i.e. not enough room for two thicknesses of carbon and insulation. I've not totally given up just yet though ... :wink:

Justpassingas

Justpassingas
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
21 GT Premium 2016 F150
I thought about changing the tips too until I found out they are welded on. Not worth the cost/effort IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ballistica

Ballistica

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
As you are fitting a H pipe, there are a few things for you to consider :

From here : https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...0-gt-build-thread.135538/page-29#post-3682347

I had my exhaust metallic ceramic coated and I toyed with the idea of doing the tips. The company I used had gloss / satin / matt black options and they would do the tips in a different colour (my exhaust is silver) or they could have done just the tips.

I decided not to, but only because the standard tips in black (like the Bullitt) may have actually made them look smaller and more discreet. Ultimately I want black tips, but I want 'bigger' black tips :like:

Let us know what you end up doing - I'm genuinely interested :like:

Thank you :like:

Ref the gap between the tips - that's what stopped me when I was working with a carbon company for custom tips i.e. not enough room for two thicknesses of carbon and insulation. I've not totally given up just yet though ... :wink:

Great info, thank you! I remember reading about the issues with the H-pipe and AE but totally forgot about that post. I appreciate the reminder and will make sure to reference that thread when it comes time for the install.

There is a company just down the road from me that does powder coat and ceramic coating, I've used them before for table legs, etc and their quality was pretty good. Pricing wasn't terrible either. After reading your post, I'm thinking that this is going to be the best way to go. I didn't consider a ceramic coat for the entire exhaust but since I want this GT to be a long term investment, that totally makes sense. Going to do some more research on that as well.

I'll keep y'all updated as I make some progress on this, thank you for the help!
Sponsored