Slight improvement for DIY removal of factory clutch spring assist

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
By no means is this process difficult to DIY. The Steeda and CJ Pony instructions are good, but this trick seems to improve the chance of not damaging the OEM spring perch during removal of the overkill factory spring.

I installed 3 tie wraps on the inner coils of the OEM spring before pressing down the clutch pedal and beginning the Steeda disassembly process.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/media/images/install-pdf/install_5557022.pdf

How to install the tie wraps:

1650514864872.png

NOTE: The clutch pedal is not pressed down for steps 1-3. Pretend spring is in the car for all pictures above.
  1. Folded the tie wrap tip twice and hooked the inner spring coils from the top side.
  2. Snugged the tie wrap. Gripped the excess with pliers against the ratchet lock face. Twisted the pliers until the tie wrap tightened and the excess broke away.
  3. Tie warps were installed 120 degrees apart. One was 180 from the vise grips.
  4. Finally.. pushed the clutch pedal down and installed the vise grips.

Adding tie wraps increases the gap between the inner and outer spring coils once the clutch pedal is pressed down. This allows for the use of curved jaw vise grips instead of needle nose resulting better grip and control. The spring also compresses more evenly putting less stress on the plastic perch.

Reusing the factory perch with the 555-7022 Steeda 35 lb spring saved me $85.

I left the tie wraps installed on the factory spring incase I want to reinstall.

To reinstall factory spring:
  1. Compress spring in bench vise.
  2. Further tighten the 3 tie wraps 120 degrees apart.
  3. Install the compressed spring in the perch and car using vise grips if necessary.
  4. Release the clutch pedal.
  5. Clip the tie wraps carefully.
1650516782309.jpeg
1650516854204.jpeg
Sponsored

Lightning

Miss my 93
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50th anaversery GT, 2019 Golf R
Vehicle Showcase
Nice wright up 👍🏾 Big money savings 🎉🎉🎉
but to this day I still don’t understand why to change this.

OP
OP
SH!FT

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
Nice wright up 👍🏾 Big money savings 🎉🎉🎉
but to this day I still don’t understand why to change this.
Thanks! It's all preference and application.

I would be hesitant to swap out the factory spring if the car was my daily driver for putting around in city traffic.

I like the steeda spring better for spirited driving. I have the hill assist and rev match features turned off.
Also, that "foot bump" described below could become dangerous once I install the supercharger.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/clutch-spring.170232/page-2#post-3457996
It's not some crazy difference, but I prefer the steeda spring. The problem I have with the stock one is that it's so stiff that when you're letting the clutch out, once it passes a certain point in the pivot it really strongly "bumps" your foot in a non linear way. This is a function of how the assist spring/pedal assembly work and not the spring's fault, but it exaggerates the problem. The steeda spring makes it much less annoying to get to the bite and not jump past it and be jerky.
When you're at that critical bite point where you need the most fine control; it pushes back at your foot the most.
The aftermarket spring eliminates that problem.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
That's about 3 tools too many for this mod.
I did it in the dealer lot in 3 minutes when I picked up the car.
Needle nose vice grips, job done.

OP
OP
SH!FT

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
That's about 3 tools too many for this mod.
I did it in the dealer lot in 3 minutes when I picked up the car.
Needle nose vice grips, job done.
Yup, that does get the job done quick.

I didn't like how the whole perch assembly started to fold towards the jaws like a banana as I clamped down with the needle nose vise grips.. so I stopped.

Adding tie wraps took ~20 minutes and some patience. It was a cold morning. I was worried about snapping the plastic perch.

In a nutshell:
  • The tie wrap 180° from the vise grip jaws reduced that fold by 30%.
  • The other two tie wraps provided a little more room for the jaws to bite down before compressing.

1650769749056.png

Sponsored

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
@SH!FT can I buy your factory spring? I bought a car that has the steeda spring, but it feels too soft.

OP
OP
SH!FT

SH!FT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium 6MT VB
@SH!FT can I buy your factory spring? I bought a car that has the steeda spring, but it feels too soft.
I'm going to hold on to the factory spring for the option to switch back.
Is the factory spring pricy from the dealer?

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Are you sure that you have the Steeda spring? The factory one gives a soft vague clutch pedal feel whereas the Steeda spring makes it firmer.

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
Are you sure that you have the Steeda spring? The factory one gives a soft vague clutch pedal feel whereas the Steeda spring makes it firmer.
I have a GT with the factory spring that I installed the steeda spring on briefly. To me, the factory spring makes the pedal feel firm, while the steeds feels super soft. In fact for the first few mm of travel, the pedal feels springy and like it doesn’t engage the clutch at all With the steeda

I bought a used ecoboost recently, and the pedal has that same soft feel which is why I think it has the steeda spring.

Sponsored

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
wish i had seen this before haha, that spring is tough without proper needlenose locking pliers

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have a GT with the factory spring that I installed the steeda spring on briefly. To me, the factory spring makes the pedal feel firm, while the steeds feels super soft. In fact for the first few mm of travel, the pedal feels springy and like it doesn’t engage the clutch at all With the steeda

I bought a used ecoboost recently, and the pedal has that same soft feel which is why I think it has the steeda spring.
1654286900031.png

WD :like:
Sponsored