Sponsored

Six Yrs Later - C8 Z06 finally tries to copy Voodoo

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
That is what I am thinking I heard but dealers themselves don't know yet. If, like in the past, there will be an increase in price for the second model year.

$85k starting MSRP if I'm not mistaken.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Having both I’m not sure what you’re talking about. The transmission alone is worth the upgrade. I’m not seeing any decreased reliability or increase in maintenance costs either. The majority of voodoo owners would say the same
One of my two major gripes with the Bullitt I drove. Glad the Mach I gets the Tremec.

Reactions: dps

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
I don't know, I've had my 2017 350 since new and had a 2011 5.0 + MT82 and while the Tremec was definitely an improvement... but lets be honest its still ain't no Porsche 6 speed transmission ...

The throws remind me of a 70s/80s Italian exotic, or like the '05-'06 Ford GT transmission, a bit long and grandiose "now youre in 2nd! 3rd! 4th!". It's satisfying for sure but it is not what I would call 'fast'. You still need to be patient to execute a good shift in the 350 - which I guess is part of its charm.

Sponsored

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
hahaha butt hurt? Alright, let me correct your ignorance.

You said:

"And Ford copied it from Ferrari so who cares. If the rumors are true then it's going to beat the pants off of the Voodoo anyway."

Ford didn't copy it from Ferrari. First off, flat plane cranks have been multiple exotics— Lamboghini, Mercedes, McLaren and other exotics. Yes, they did benchmark the Voodoo against a 458 Ferrari engine, but the reason for the flatplane crank was to get 100 hp per liter, they could not do it with a crossplane.

Ferrari uses their flaplane V8s like they are two 4 cylinders engines that are connected together. Ford does not, Ford uses a completely different configuration.

Also Ferrari and other flatplane cranks are small v8's of small displacement—Ford innovated by making the largest flatplane crank that has ever existed—a 5.2L Flatplane crank motor.

That engine set the automotive world on fire—check all of the articles, videos etc. praising the Voodoo.

Which brings me to the final point, but for Ford originating and breaking the mold with the voodoo and for the success of the voodoo engine, Chevy would not be putting it in their upcoming Z06.

and by the way, who cares if the Z06 is faster—there is always something faster, that does not mean it is better.

nice try, but literally piss off.
Butt hurt is still the right description, but I was definitely crass in my previous post when I should not have been.

OP said that GM copied the FPC from Ford, which only makes it true if you acknowledge that Ford copied it from Ferrari. In this instance Ford is like Apple, where they did not invent the smartphone but definitely popularized it and brought it to the masses.

Also not sure how having a much larger displacement to make less hp than the Ferrari would be considered an advantage. Some say that the Voodoo being as larger as it is is the reason why it has reliability issues. I'd be curious to see how GM addresses this with their version.

Also I'd bet the success of the GT350 has nothing to do with the creation of the GM FPC since engine designs were locked in long before the Voodoo was introduced. And let's not kid ourselves that if the rumors are true about it having over 600 hp with a 9000 redline, it WILL be better than the Voodoo but that's ok because there's always room for more sports cars.

I didn't mean to come off as insulting the GT350, it is obviously one of the all time greats and if you check my posting history you will see that I am actually in the market to buy one. But the great thing about being a peasant GT owner is that I don't have blinders on and am able to compare it with less bias.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
You realize he has a GT as well, many of us that have 350’s do. It’s kind of pointless to give opinions about a car you don’t own. It’s pure speculation, much like the fpc gm is developing at this point. It’s great for car enthusiasts there’s so many great choice’s and more to come.

Butt hurt is still the right description, but I was definitely crass in my previous post when I should not have been.

OP said that GM copied the FPC from Ford, which only makes it true if you acknowledge that Ford copied it from Ferrari. In this instance Ford is like Apple, where they did not invent the smartphone but definitely popularized it and brought it to the masses.

Also not sure how having a much larger displacement to make less hp than the Ferrari would be considered an advantage. Some say that the Voodoo being as larger as it is is the reason why it has reliability issues. I'd be curious to see how GM addresses this with their version.

Also I'd bet the success of the GT350 has nothing to do with the creation of the GM FPC since engine designs were locked in long before the Voodoo was introduced. And let's not kid ourselves that if the rumors are true about it having over 600 hp with a 9000 redline, it WILL be better than the Voodoo but that's ok because there's always room for more sports cars.

I didn't mean to come off as insulting the GT350, it is obviously one of the all time greats and if you check my posting history you will see that I am actually in the market to buy one. But the great thing about being a peasant GT owner is that I don't have blinders on and am able to compare it with less bias.

Last edited:

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
The interior is what throws me off. I actually like the exterior, but the interior looks as if they tried to hard with cheap materials. Looks tacky to me.
The interior quality of the C8 is very very nice. I own a Ford now. But Everything I’ve owned before the last two mustangs were a GM. I test drove a C8 and hardly any plastic in that car. It all leather and carbon.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I really liked the C7. Im having an issue feeling that way about the C8. The styling does not say Corvette to me even if its a better car

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
The interior is what throws me off. I actually like the exterior, but the interior looks as if they tried to hard with cheap materials. Looks tacky to me.
Wait......what?
Just curious how you feel about your GT350 interior.

Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
I don’t remember what post it was but some one asked how GM would hold together. I’ve seen it suggested that GM is running a 337CI and maintaining its 4.065 bore from the LT and running a 3.25 stroke. Pretty much doing what Ferrari does in an over square engine to combat some of the vibration of a fpc. Thing should sound AWESOME!!!

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone know if the 5.5L Z06 motor is DOHC or pushrod? I'm assuming DOHC but didn't see it mentioned in the article.

Also didn't read all the comments. Started reading the first page and in typical M6G fashion, people started getting nasty towards each other.
Sponsored