Six Yrs Later - C8 Z06 finally tries to copy Voodoo

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Yes Sir. Even with the 'primitive' tuning back then the LT5 would haul some serious ass !
I think the 95 ZR1 had a top speed of 180. Mid 90’s that was insane. Hell the viper topped out at 165
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Not sure what your point is with that. I’m not a GM fanboy. The reality is regardless of what you posted Ford in the past was more conservative then GM when it came to limited ”production” vehicles. There is no comparison across GM’s lineup to Ford’s in that regard. It was unfortunate back then and was for quite some time. I remember us organizing letters by the hundreds when Ford tried to kill the mustang for the probe. It was a sad period. As for the grand national reference, what was the production numbers on the gnx? And yes it wasn’t very different from the gn. And the Z28 reference, its a cool car sorry if you can’t appreciate it. I’ve driven one a lot, great car, put it on a track. You‘ve kind of proved my point with the brand bs. I didn’t attack Ford. Simply pointed out where they were as a company in one respect.
My post was to point out that it is actually Ford who has always ventured out more on a limb more than GM on HP vehicles and not GM as you suggest.

Example, how much out of the box thinking did it take for GM to install a left over Z06 LS7 engine in the 2014 Z28 and end up with a car that weighed ~3,875# with AC?

The heavy 2014/2015 Z28 could have been a terrific automobile had GM take on some other cool initiatives such as Ford had launched in the 2nd generation Boss 302 program and the 2nd generation GT350/R program as the Z28 was certainly overweight.

Initiatives such as side exhaust, resonator delete, rear seat delete, carbon fiber wheels, TracKey, NA FPC engine were just some of the cool items that Ford developed right around the same time that the Z28 was being developed and could have used.

So what did GM do, they took a parts bin Z06 engine from the previous year Corvette and built a car around the LS7 engine that only developed 505 HP which is not a great deal for a 427 C.I. engine and ended up not much faster than a 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca and at a cost ~$25,000 more than the LS with an MSRP of $75,000.

With the launch of the 2014 Camaro Z28 GM never gave a thought to even assigning an individual chassis number to each vehicle such was the case with the Boss 302 program or the GT350/R program let along not even offer an 2014 Camaro Z28 Owners Kit.

As far as your point about "Brand BS" I can tell you without question I respect all automotive brands manufacturers including GM and in fact one of the very best vehicles that I owned for a very long time was a '68 Camaro RS/SS L78 and still miss that vehicle today.

Not being a Corvette guy the only exciting vehicle launch coming from GM down the road will be the launch of the 2022 Cadillac CT5 V-Series Blackwing which comes with a 668 HP LT4 engine, 6 speed transmission and Brembo supplied carbon-ceramic brakes as a first for Cadillac.

And yes, it looks like for ~$110,000 us enthusiasts will actually be assigned a chassis number from Cadillac to each of these cool vehicles.

:sunglasses:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
How many of us are seriously considering buying the C8 Z06? Of those that are considering to buy, how many care where the engine was copied from or not copied from? Us meaning 550 owners.
Not until they put a MT back in. Or at least implement a simulated 'manual' with 3 pedals and shifter that interface to the DCT clutch servos and the H-pattern is directing the servo driving the shifter-forks.

I would be encouraged if GM learned from Ford's mistakes with the Voodoo. Long-stroke FPC was just plain dumb. Nobody is going to wank off to biggest displacement FPC when it keeps breaking.

Ford GT is irrelevant as a 'halo' model because nobody can afford them. Lusty object, sure and I stood 6 inches from one for 20 minutes. But it doesn't change the reputation of Ford's failings at the mundane. Ditto 24hr race wins. Nobody cares since clearly that same QA and dedication doesn't exist on the factory floor which is the ONLY place it matters for the buying public. When Kia and Civics and so forth are better at execution, none of the supposed "laurels" are worth a damn.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Yeah Lotus did.

Shouldn't matter though, cause it was made with GM's input. Like the Ford coyote is basically a cosworth engine. Change my mind haha. Cheers bud.
Actually GM and Lotus (which was owned by GM at the time) designed it. Then GM contracted Mercury Marine to build it. I had the bittersweet pleasure(?) of leading the End-of-Production planning for that engine. Very interesting times. Tons of cool stories. And a few not so cool stories.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Actually GM and Lotus (which was owned by GM at the time) designed it. Then GM contracted Mercury Marine to build it. I had the bittersweet pleasure(?) of leading the End-of-Production planning for that engine. Very interesting times. Tons of cool stories. And a few not so cool stories.
Ok, I’ll just ask....
You really need to write your stories down and possibly share what you can. I for one would buy that book!

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Man…the Lotus designed LT5 was an animal at that time. My uncle had a a 95 zr1. We used to go for 100mph rips in it was I was 14.
When my Service Operations team was developing the dealer service tool kit for the ‘93 (the ’93-‘95 LT5 is significantly different than earlier years) we had a mule assigned to our group. We quickly established a Century Club. That was everybody who clicked off at least 100 mph on the road adjacent to the airstrip next to where our offices were located. I was in the passenger seat when my admin earned her credentials.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury Marine also built gen 1 and gen 2 vipers. If I remember it was because of their ability to cast large aluminum castings at that time.
Actually, for LT5 at least, it was their large prismatic aluminum machining capability, not casting, though they had casting expertise. The LT5 blocks and heads were cast by traditional Lotus suppliers and proved to be the bane of my existence over much of the EoP project.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
You must not love your V8 as much as I love mine. The perks you listed don't mean as much to me as the roar of a Voodoo at 8k.
That's a very fair point. I might feel differently if I owned a voodoo.
You enjoy your glorious machine, sir

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
When my Service Operations team was developing the dealer service tool kit for the ‘93 (the ’93-‘95 LT5 is significantly different than earlier years) we had a mule assigned to our group. We quickly established a Century Club. That was everybody who clicked off at least 100 mph on the road adjacent to the airstrip next to where our offices were located. I was in the passenger seat when my admin earned her credentials.
That car was amazing!! I think it hit 100 by 3rd gear and around 10 secs. I wish I had that car. He picked it up at the plant in Kentucky and drove it back home to Kansas City and got a nice speeding ticket on the way home 😂. Was a really nice dark green color.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Actually, for LT5 at least, it was their large prismatic aluminum machining capability, not casting, though they had casting expertise. The LT5 blocks and heads were cast by traditional Lotus suppliers and proved to be the bane of my existence over much of the EoP project.
Awww I knew it was something with the manufacture process. Still to this day a top 5 engine for me. It sounded so good too. When you think about it. 11.5 compression with early FI was quite a feat of engineering.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
How many of us are seriously considering buying the C8 Z06? Of those that are considering to buy, how many care where the engine was copied from or not copied from? Us meaning 550 owners.
DCT as the only available transmission meant I was out from the beginning. I'm still hoping GM will see the light and put a manual transmission back in the 'vette.

I'd also love it if they would start making hard top cars again. This thing where every single Corvette has to have a detachable roof really makes me think twice about tracking one.

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Awww I knew it was something with the manufacture process. Still to this day a top 5 engine for me. It sounded so good too. When you think about it. 11.5 compression with early FI was quite a feat of engineering.
I was lucky enough to own a 1991 ZR1 (#921) and it was a hell of a great car- that engine was a masterpiece

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
I was lucky enough to own a 1991 ZR1 (#921) and it was a hell of a great car- that engine was a masterpiece
That thing was awesome!!! It would be a great car even by today’s standards.

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP