Sponsored

Siri Integration?

Krishna

Hi All,

Came across this article about Ford getting Spotify integration in its cars which sounds awesome since rumors that they will be going to the freemium model soon even for mobile devices.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/55220302-7f39-11e2-89ed-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2M8Q2akAJ

Unfortunately, it sounds like Siri integration wont happen which is a bummer. I know at least 9 auto cos and Honda recently just announced that they will support it in some of their cars too. What gives? :mad:
Sponsored

OP
OP

NRMStand

From the article you posted:

"However Ford, which uses voice technology from Nuance Communications for its AppLink service, said these technologies were unsuitable for car use as they relied on a constant connection to the cloud to process commands."

I thought Nuance was the technology behind Siri? Anyway don't believe this junk. It's completely a business decision. The Eyes Free feature that Apple announced will link direction to its Maps app and bypass Ford's own core in-vehicle navigation (through Sync).

Ford makes money off of Sync's own navigation, info and entertainment services. By not using Siri, they are able to keep their own platform and invite third party players (like Spotify) to develop apps that integrate with Sync.

It's really too bad that all of those iPhone users wont be able to take full advantage of our phones but business is business.

OP
OP

JackHoya

From the article you posted:
Ford makes money off of Sync's own navigation, info and entertainment services. By not using Siri, they are able to keep their own platform and invite third party players (like Spotify) to develop apps that integrate with Sync.
If this is true, SYNC and iOS will make a strange platform battle in the war over the dashboard. I personally really like SYNC since it's all in house and integrated. I think Ford has the right idea retaining total control over it. Not sure a phone company can come in and accomplish the same thing.

OP
OP

Krishna

If this is true, SYNC and iOS will make a strange platform battle in the war over the dashboard. I personally really like SYNC since it's all in house and integrated. I think Ford has the right idea retaining total control over it. Not sure a phone company can come in and accomplish the same thing.
I don't know, integrated is good but I'd rather see the dash open to tech I'm already using. It's a pain having to learn and relearn all this proprietary tech.

Just open it up and let the customers decide what to use. Are the SYNC services really making them that much coin?

OP
OP

KZStang

I don't know, integrated is good but I'd rather see the dash open to tech I'm already using. It's a pain having to learn and relearn all this proprietary tech.

Just open it up and let the customers decide what to use. Are the SYNC services really making them that much coin?
Sorry, maybe I'm old school and not to trample on the thread, but I don't want to see ANY of this technology in the Mustang. Don't get me wrong, I use an iphone and everything (mostly for work), but in my opinion the brand is getting a little away from the enthusiast crowd -- its roots. New tech is great, IF it adds to, not detracts from, the driving experience. These DCTs replacing the tried and true manual shifters, touch interface dashes, and rear cameras... all leading to a diluted form of driving that replaces skill/power/character with convenience/comfort/"luxury."

That said, I know this technology is here to stay, especially as Ford goes more global. I would imagine they see Sync as a way to maintain control over this technology and, as a result, the driver's interfacing with his car. Hey, if it helps Ford sell more cars, I guess I can't bemoan it that much. I'll just stick to my old '69 fastback to remember what it's like to actually DRIVE a car and not have the car drive me! :cool: