Silly question, but why can't we get GT500 Perf. #s

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
So, if one was auctioned off at Bar-Jax, why doesn't the new owner share the numbers? Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
They didn't receive the car, they get an allocation to the first one, but still go through the order/build process with everyone else.
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize that. Thanks!

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize that. Thanks!

Here's a much more detailed post about how it works!

The high bidder gets the rights to purchase Chassis/ VIN "0001" which will not be produced at the Ford Flat Rock facility until sometime later this Fall.

Of course they will be able to order the car in the color of their choice along with whatever options they want to put on the car.

The pre-production GT500 at Barrett-Jackson is painted in Twister Orange and looks very sinister especially with all of the various Black body parts which offsets the Orange color perfectly.

No idea if this is a TT or PP pre-production car as there is no chassis plate assigned to this vehicle at this time but going forward all regular production GT500's will now come with a chassis number much the same as the 2012/2013 Boss 302 and GT350/R cars from recent years. The VIN ends with "KSX00025".

Lastly, the quad exhaust tips on this car are the largest that I have ever seen and looking forward to hear the aural sound that this car makes once in the Track Mode.

Very impressive looking vehicle and based on the looks of this car I would suggest that Ford will be able to back it up from a performance standpoint and just as everyone else I am looking for some spec's and performance numbers down the road.

:like::like:

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I saw one Ford rep say they are still working out several things including tuning before final numbers are even known

Sponsored

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
why can't we get the price is more important lol

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
why can't we get the price is more important lol
Yeah, they were OK with some "About X seconds in the quarter" and "More than 700 HP", but they didn't even hint at a price.

I'd assume they don't want people stewing over the price without knowing the final performance capabilities, but I'm sure they know the price, even with all this final tuning going on.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I saw one Ford rep say they are still working out several things including tuning before final numbers are even known
I had a short conversation with Carl Widmann (Ford Performance Chief Engineer) late last week and based on our conversation it is my understanding that he and his engineering team will continue to try to extract additional performance numbers from this engine and could possibly work on that initiative up until at late as August which is just prior to launch of the car at FR.

Based on my understanding don't expect to see any hard performance numbers for this engine and/or automobile any time soon.

:sunglasses:

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I had a short conversation with Carl Widmann (Ford Performance Chief Engineer) late last week and based on our conversation it is my understanding that he and his engineering team will continue to try to extract additional performance numbers from this engine and could possibly work on that initiative up until at late as August which is just prior to launch of the car at FR.

Based on my understanding don't expect to see any hard performance numbers for this engine and/or automobile any time soon.

:sunglasses:
Agreed.

I just read an article regarding EPA certification. The partial strike in the govt is now going to start affecting manufacturers attempting to certify their new models.

This can be bad news for the 500, but with your chat, Carl suggested August which gives the car a couple months for certification.

Should be on sale October is my guess.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
It's too early for Ford to show their Aces. Here's to hoping it's 4. :champagne:

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Widmann is doing as he should and treading lightly in this regard. In the end, he is following the orders from those above him. So the response he offered you is a talking point that is probably the "safest." Ford Powertrain engineers have worked on this specific powerplant and drivetrain combination for quite some time now. From virtual design, testing, and failure analyses to ensure a robust package that meets any and all durability requirements, to real-world testing across much of this country (and some others). Power and emission certifications are somewhat intertwined as one has a direct impact upon the other - generally speaking. That said, Widmann and his colleagues know very well what this car will produce in terms of power when released. The deviation one way or the other is a few horsepower just as it always is. This far into the program, any changes to what I just spoke of will be minor.

There is indeed a small window, or range, in terms of how much of a power improvement is available for Widmann's team to choose from at his juncture. That said, it is likely relative to what a supplier can do given the unit price they have likely come to a contractual agreement with. Manufacturing technologies are constantly evolving and timing can indeed mean the difference in terms of cost and in the context of this discussion, power. That's the hardware end. The other variable is how software or calibration work is finalized. Bottom line, suppliers are lined up and the engineering work that went into the items they will produce is for the most part complete. There will be no magical "bump" in power from where engineers knew they were over a year ago. It is merely choices that are made between Widmann, his group, and those he reports to. In essence, politics at its finest.

Agreed.

I just read an article regarding EPA certification. The partial strike in the govt is now going to start affecting manufacturers attempting to certify their new models. This can be bad news for the 500, but with your chat, Carl suggested August which gives the car a couple months for certification.
Sources on this topic are important as these days most all of the news we get is jaded in one way or another. Here's one that references what you were speaking of.
https://www.reuters.com/article/leg...ut-of-new-car-models-automakers-idUSKCN1PJ07M

I'm confident this Administration will cut through red tape in this regard with respect to the much "beloved" EPA. This Administration has much improved or streamlined the process and tried to reduce the bureaucratic burden placed upon manufacturers over prior Administrations. That said, Ford has to obtain both Federal compliance and CARB compliance.

Federal level - EPA
Certification
Compliance

CARB (California Air Resource Board)
How high can you jump?

It would indeed behoove Ford to get a move on here. Pick a number and get the applications finished and submitted, now.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Widmann is doing as he should and treading lightly in this regard. In the end, he is following the orders from those above him. So the response he offered you is a talking point that is probably the "safest." Ford Powertrain engineers have worked on this specific powerplant and drivetrain combination for quite some time now. From virtual design, testing, and failure analyses to ensure a robust package that meets any and all durability requirements, to real-world testing across much of this country (and some others). Power and emission certifications are somewhat intertwined as one has a direct impact upon the other - generally speaking. That said, Widmann and his colleagues know very well what this car will produce in terms of power when released. The deviation one way or the other is a few horsepower just as it always is. This far into the program, any changes to what I just spoke of will be minor.

There is indeed a small window, or range, in terms of how much of a power improvement is available for Widmann's team to choose from at his juncture. That said, it is likely relative to what a supplier can do given the unit price they have likely come to a contractual agreement with. Manufacturing technologies are constantly evolving and timing can indeed mean the difference in terms of cost and in the context of this discussion, power. That's the hardware end. The other variable is how software or calibration work is finalized. Bottom line, suppliers are lined up and the engineering work that went into the items they will produce is for the most part complete. There will be no magical "bump" in power from where engineers knew they were over a year ago. It is merely choices that are made between Widmann, his group, and those he reports to. In essence, politics at its finest.

Sources on this topic are important as these days most all of the news we get is jaded in one way or another. Here's one that references what you were speaking of.
https://www.reuters.com/article/leg...ut-of-new-car-models-automakers-idUSKCN1PJ07M

I'm confident this Administration will cut through red tape in this regard with respect to the much "beloved" EPA. This Administration has much improved or streamlined the process and tried to reduce the bureaucratic burden placed upon manufacturers over prior Administrations. That said, Ford has to obtain both Federal compliance and CARB compliance.

Federal level - EPA
Certification
Compliance

CARB (California Air Resource Board)
How high can you jump?

It would indeed behoove Ford to get a move on here. Pick a number and get the applications finished and submitted, now.
Well said. They need to go right now.

My article:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.aut...ernment-shutdown-new-car-rollouts-automakers/

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Autoblog essentially cut and pasted Valerie's Reuters article that I linked. :)

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
You can figure final power numbers and pricing will be released this summer. When the GT350 was introduced in Nov 2014, the actual numbers did not come until late spring 2015.
Sponsored