Side Rear Windows Moldings 2018 GT Premium

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Have a 2018 GT Premium, I noticed after a few months the rubber moldings on the side rear windows pulling away from the body and getting more warped and deformed on both windows. Figured I would wait till oil change and show them figuring that the molding is just a simple replace held in by double sided tape as years ago those type of moldings were clipped in. Dealer sent it to their body shop dept who told me that the moldings are attached to the glass and the glass on both sides would need to be replaced, they took pictures to send to Ford for approval, I doubt Ford will approve and just say it is cosmetic but it does look bad. Anyone else have problem with theirs?
Sponsored

wcharon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2019 Race Red with Package 301A
Can you post a pic for reference so we can check ours?

Deleted member 35644

Paint peeling on a plastic bumper is cosmetic too, but Ford would fix that. You're good....they'll warranty it.

OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Here is the pictures of the side rear windows with the molding distorted and pulling away
EA0988F5-D8E1-48C0-84FC-8601B36BA59A.jpeg
B7002BDB-589F-4DB6-99CA-B4D2AC7BC3C4.jpeg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You have to take the pics on an angle to show the distortion “length wise”. When the pics are taken deadline center like that, it’s very hard to tell the actual severity of the rubber distortion.

I know this first hand, as I had the same issue with my prior 2016, driver side rear 1/4 molding was all distorted and wavy. I have since gotten rid of all my pics of that glass issue BUT if you search my user ID on here, there is another thread from another member regarding distorted rear 1/4 window trim and my pics might be in it.

When my Dealership took the initial pics (similar to your own) and sent those to Ford, the warranty claim was denied.

I then reached out to Carlite directly, sent multiple pics of the glass and had a Rep respond. He agreed that the window molding was defective and that Ford should replace under warranty. I think I still have those extensive emails from the Carlite Rep.

I then went back to the Dealer and said you need to send in MY pictures to Ford and tell them there is “distortion” with the molding. After that was done, Ford approved the replacement of the driver side rear 1/4 window.

My Ford Dealer sourced an outside glass contractor, as their body shop does not deal with such warranty replacement UNLESS it is accident damage. Yes the entire interior panel in the rear has to be pulled out, because the entire glass assembly has to be removed. The contractor who did the work on my prior 2016 was excellent, no damages to interior or exterior body and you couldn’t even tell there was any work done.

The 2015/2016 and maybe 2017 S550s had Carlite glass all around. When my replacement glass was put in, it had “PGW” on it and no Carlite logos. In fact, with all 2018/19’s, the side glass (both front and rear) should have “PGW” on the glass. So I’m not sure if Ford is using (2) suppliers (PGW and Carlite), because my front windshield in my 2018 is Carlite. But if you do get side replacement glass, be aware that PGW will be the manufacturer or supplier of the replacement glass.

Take the pics looking down from top of roofline over the top edge of the rear 1/4 glass where it would meet the roof edge, take them length wise meaning from front to rear, again capturing how it’s distored and no longer close to the roof line or body. It’s hard to explain in written format here, but think of kneeling and looking down the side of your car from the front bumper so you see the side and body lines - you want your pics to reflect that image so the person viewing it can actually see the distortion. When you take a straight on center “side shot” the pics really don’t show how bad the molding is distorted or wavy.

Tell your Dealer to submit YOUR pics and also tell them to use the word “distorted” in their warranty request.

Good luck - keep us updated!

Sponsored

OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Ford approved and was replaced by glass company with glass says Ford on it and box was carlite, my door side windows pgw

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine is not properly glued on the passenger side and it is not aligned up on the driver side.

Also are the trim around the small back window and the door window two different shades of black on yours as well?

20190131_184209_1.gif

Last edited:
OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Mine is not properly glued on the passenger sideand is not aligned up in the driver side.

Also the trim around the small back window and the door window two different shades of black on yours as well?

20190131_184209_1.gif
Yes mine are also different shades of black from the side rear windows and the trim over the doors. Also the rubber trim on the rear side windows is not glued to the body they are attached to the windows and the windows are glued to the body. The dealer told me the price for each window is $800 each plus what they pay the window company to install. Very poor design. I wonder how the chrome trim on the side windows are different on the bulitt and pony packages.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I also had the rear quarter windows replaced on my 16 V6 for being warped. The replacement windows were also warped, and the dealer ordered more after I complained about the new ones. The 2nd ordered set were even worse. I declined having the worse ones put on, and Ford wouldn't keep having new ones sent in, nor reach out to carlite for QA issues. Poor manufacturing and QA. Too bad they didn't keeps the glass on body style from the 05-14 models.

Trooper_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
Mine is not properly glued on the passenger side and it is not aligned up on the driver side.

Also are the trim around the small back window and the door window two different shades of black on yours as well?

20190131_184209_1.gif
did you get this replaced or not worth the hassle of someone tearing apart my interior?

Sponsored
OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
did you get this replaced or not worth the hassle of someone tearing apart my interior?
Dealer replaced both after Ford gave the okay. They had a window installer remove the old ones and replace the new ones. Not sure what the labor cost to Ford was but the dealer told me the windows themselves were $800 each. Gotta say a really poor design with the rubber attached to the window insread of a separate moulding.

Trooper_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oscar
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
Dealer replaced both after Ford gave the okay. They had a window installer remove the old ones and replace the new ones. Not sure what the labor cost to Ford was but the dealer told me the windows themselves were $800 each. Gotta say a really poor design with the rubber attached to the window insread of a separate moulding.
Man i am scared to let someone replace mine because dont want scratched up interior panels or other issues:crying:

OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Man i am scared to let someone replace mine because dont want scratched up interior panels or other issues:crying:
Everything is done on outside, whole window assembly comes out, the window installers do it, inside never touched, held in place by pptv or silicone

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Everything is done on outside, whole window assembly comes out, the window installers do it, inside never touched, held in place by pptv or silicone

No - totally incorrect.

The rear 1/4 interior panels have to be removed - that is the only way to remove the rear 1/4 windows from the S550 body. After the rear interior panels are removed then the fasteners to the window are removed, then the glass is pressed/pulled outward from the body. The butyl seal between body and glass has to be carefully broken so the glass can be removed from the body without shattering. Install is reverse of removal.

Depending on the Ford Dealership, this could be outsourced to a glass shop and the Vendor comes to the dealership to do the job OR if the Dealership has its own body shop, it gets sourced to the onsite shop depending on their workload.

A good installer won’t mar any of the interior plastics when doing this job and the owner won’t even be able to tell the work was done when completed. Again, if it was a good installer.

This job is not sourced to the regular Ford Service Center mechanics.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for the late reply.

No I backed out as the whole window has to come out. Also I have tint which then needs to be re applied. Also for some reason they kept mentioning that it first needs to be approved eventhough the service manager mentioned it is not sitting properly

However with that said it looks like $hit

Sponsored

Last edited: