Sponsored

Show me those quiet longtube S550s! (15-17)

Memz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Memz
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550
Hi guys,

I am about to get my 1 7/8" headers & 100 cell cats installed soon on my 2017 S550 which currently has Roush ACTIVE axle backs & stock suitcase resonator.

I am assuming because of the Roush axle backs it will still be pretty damn loud (want to keep the axle backs because of the active exhaust feature) - Ideally id like it to retain same loudness as just the axle back setup I have now, or even just a touch little louder but that's doubtful since its headers we're talking about here...

Anyone got any videos of their quiet setups? if its good enough I may just look into moving on from the Roush axle backs (bonus points if you have videos of my setup with catted headers just so I know what to expect)

Mainly going headers route to let the engine breath better since its also supercharged.
Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
It is going to be loud. A 100 cell cat is not far from being a straight pipe as is.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Not sure how to tell how many cells cats have, but I donā€™t think youā€™re going to be quiet with LTā€™s. I have catted LTā€™s on my car with factory active exhaust and a Steeda X-pipe and the only really quiet mode is in quiet mode at light to moderate throttle. Anything WOT and the actuators in the AE will open up as if switched to track mode. I have heard that Roush AE is loud and can only imagine it being amplified with LTā€™s. Have you considered switching back to factory AE?

You May have seen these videos already, but in case you havenā€™t, here is my Bullitt with the above mentioned setup for sound reference. It is loud, but not obnoxiously loud.

Templarum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
I have LTs (edit, with cats) with a healthy tune running into a dead stock exhaust with the factory suitcase, and I think it's the perfect level of pitch and volume. Zero rasp and it keeps the neighbors friendly.

Video doesn't give you an accurate idea of the ultimate sound of such a set up, imo.

I have a set of automatic cutouts installed for when I need some sound and fury. I don't see a lot of setups similar to mine, but I'm quite happy with it.

Sponsored

Jhamp232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Also running catted Long tubes to factory stock and very happy with performance and sound level.
@Templarum if you donā€™t mind sharing, what cutouts did you install? I might copy cat your setup.

Templarum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ruby Red GT
Also running catted Long tubes to factory stock and very happy with performance and sound level.
@Templarum if you donā€™t mind sharing, what cutouts did you install? I might copy cat your setup.
QTP Qtec50s 2.5" with wireless controllers. I like them better than with a wired switch because you can open them partially for a different sound. It's my version of an active exhaust. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
QTP Qtec50s 2.5" with wireless controllers. I like them better than with a wired switch because you can open them partially for a different sound. It's my version of an active exhaust. I don't think you can go wrong with them.
Will you post a sound clip and pics of your installed cutouts please? Thanks

OP
OP

Memz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Memz
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550
Thanks for the responses guys. Iā€™m not after stock sound since thatā€™s unrealistic unless I go completely stock catback.
Just wanting to do everything I can to keep noise level at or slightly above my current Roush axle back setup, Iā€™m assuming stock suitcase is the most quiet option even when comparing it to the Magnaflow resonated x pipe? Iā€™ve seen a few people add dynomax mufflers inline with exhaust and some even do glass packed rear mufflers which really quiet it down. Hoping people have a few videos

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Thanks for the responses guys. Iā€™m not after stock sound since thatā€™s unrealistic unless I go completely stock catback.
Just wanting to do everything I can to keep noise level at or slightly above my current Roush axle back setup, Iā€™m assuming stock suitcase is the most quiet option even when comparing it to the Magnaflow resonated x pipe? Iā€™ve seen a few people add dynomax mufflers inline with exhaust and some even do glass packed rear mufflers which really quiet it down. Hoping people have a few videos
I wonder if cutting the suitcase open and packing it with exhaust packing would help quiet things down more?

Sponsored

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Quiet headers are a pretty difficult balancing act. I probably had the quietest non-active setup possible; ARH catted full system with two Magnaflow 14419 3" ID x 14" L mufflers welded in after the x-pipe and I would still fail the sound check at my local track which has a 98dB limit if I don't use turn downs.

The problem with adding all this BS to try and quiet it down is that it's nearly silent at idle and inside the car so the typical loud coyote mechanical noise is amplified. But it is still loud outside when WOT. It was actually too quiet inside so I took the Magnaflows off and installed Stainless Headers 8" bullet mufflers. I like it better this way even though its a bit louder outside. The exhaust is too raspy without any mid-mufflers installed IMO.

Here's a video I took during the brief period I ran it catless. The cats just take the edge off, they don't quiet it down much.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Memz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Memz
Vehicle(s)
2017 S550
Quiet and headers is pretty difficult balancing act. I probably had the quietest non-active setup possible; ARH catted full system with two Magnaflow 14419 3" ID x 14" L mufflers welded in after the x-pipe and I would still fail the sound check at my local track which has a 98dB limit if I don't use turn downs.

The problem with adding all this BS to try and quiet it down is that it's nearly silent at idle and inside the car so the typical loud coyote mechanical noise is amplified. But it is still loud outside when WOT. It was actually too quiet inside so I took the Magnaflows off and installed Stainless Headers 8" bullet mufflers. I like it better this way even though its a bit louder outside. The exhaust is too raspy without any mid-mufflers installed IMO.

Here's a video I took during the brief period I ran it catless. The cats just take the edge off, they don't quiet it down much.

The video sounds perfect doesnā€™t sound too raspy or ear bleedingly loud. Iā€™m assuming with cats itā€™s even a touch quieter

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
The video sounds perfect doesnā€™t sound too raspy or ear bleedingly loud. Iā€™m assuming with cats itā€™s even a touch quieter
Thanks, yeah I like it. Cats quiet it down "just a touch."

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Quiet and Long Tubes in same sentence = hilarious! :cwl:

Iā€™ve installed LTā€™s on every Mustang V8 Iā€™ve ever owned - thereā€™s NO ā€˜quietā€™ with an LT setup, no matter which muffler you choose.

Videos donā€™t portray reality or actual sound when IN the car cruising at certain RPMā€™s, when IN car WOTing, upon initial cold start or when being outside of it on a fly by when the driver attempts breaking the sound barrier.

LTā€™s are LOUD at any level.

You want LTā€™s and quiet - add another resonator stuffed with fiberglass, 2 more cats and 2 more mufflers... LMAO.

Jhamp232

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Quiet and Long Tubes in same sentence = hilarious! :cwl:

Iā€™ve installed LTā€™s on every Mustang V8 Iā€™ve ever owned - thereā€™s NO ā€˜quietā€™ with an LT setup, no matter which muffler you choose.

Videos donā€™t portray reality or actual sound when IN the car cruising at certain RPMā€™s, when IN car WOTing, upon initial cold start or when being outside of it on a fly by when the driver attempts breaking the sound barrier.

LTā€™s are LOUD at any level.

You want LTā€™s and quiet - add another resonator stuffed with fiberglass, 2 more cats and 2 more mufflers... LMAO.
Q
I have long tubes and a stock cat back. Itā€™s not loud at all. Just sayin, itā€™s 100% possible.
Sponsored