Sponsored

Should You De-Iron Your Car for it's First Wash

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Yes, yes you should. Today I washed the car then applied some iron removing spray clay. The purple you see is after a through hand wash and dry then spray down. The clay spray reacts with the iron and allows you to wash it away. If you don't it imbeds its self into the clear coat and cause it to scratch the clear coat over time.

The BB paint did not show the purple as well as the white stripes, but believe me, there was plenty on the paint as well. The last pic is of the paint.

The iron comes from the cars sitting outside in a major industrial area then the brakes from the rail cars during transport.

Spray Clay.png

Iron 2.jpg

Iron 3.jpg

Iron.jpg
Sponsored

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
gonna have to pick a bottle of that up.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
No

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Iron decontamination is a very useful thing to do, the only thing I hate about this step is the smell these products have.

IMG-0537.jpg

IMG-0539.jpg

Some iron removers can be used as a clay lubricant, meaning both the mechanical and chemical decontamination steps can be combined. Meg's Spray Clay can be used like this, along with Carpro Immolube and in my case, NV Purify.

IMG-2337.jpg

IMG-2340.jpg

Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
+1, especially on a brand new car, when getting ceramic coating or PPF.

Last edited:

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Based on my experience of one and a euro car, I would have to disagree ā€¦ :frown:

The euros come reasonably well wrapped :

1659178008802.jpeg

But any upward facing surface that wasnā€™t covered (notably the rear fenders) was absolutely covered in a mixture of iron (20%) and underseal overspray (80%) :

1659178212855.jpeg

Left side rear was noticeably the worst - perhaps just due to where it was sat on the train during transport ?

WD :like:

OP
OP
Houston Kid

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Iron decontamination is a very useful thing to do, the only thing I hate about this step is the smell these products have.
You ainā€™t kidding, Iron X smells like burnt tire and rotten Indian food combined. But, it works!
+2 for sure. It stinks.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
You ainā€™t kidding, Iron X smells like burnt tire and rotten Indian food combined. But, it works!
+2 for sure. It stinks.
I have a very strong sense of smell; I can pick up stuff that many can't. So, the stench of these products is heightened with me. The companies making them try to tone the smell down by adding scents with limited sucess. For example, Carpro make lemon and cherry versions of IronX. NV Purge and Purify are some of the least pungent of the breed.

Also, whenever I use these products, the scent stays with me until I have showered, at which point the hot water reactivates the stench for a few moments.