Sponsored

Should the Mustang become a two seater or go to a usable 4?

How many seats should a Mustang be?

• Total voters

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT
I think the current Mustang format works well.

An average adult can sit behind the passenger for short periods if the passenger squeezes forward a bit.

At other times the rear seats just sit there looking pleasingly curvaceous and inviting, even if looks deceive!
Sponsored

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
I would go back a bit in history. The 1967 Mustang had a wheelbase of 108" and an overall length of 184". The 1967 Cougar had a wheelbase of 111" and an overall length of 190". Most of that extra length, went into the rear seat leg room.

I know we talked about this before. Rather than tinkering with the Mustang, have Lincoln reintroduce the Cougar, with the extra length in the rear seat, just like how the originals differed.

Last edited:

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
From what I've always read, the Mustang was marketed as a 4 seater for insurance purposes. What you can or can not do with those 2 rear seats is up for debate.

However, making it a true 4 passenger vehicle would change its design and likely make it larger. (Mach E style)

Any chance of the Mustang being a true 2 seater? No, unless Ford decides to market it directly at the Corvette. Those are some big aspirations considering the Vette just moved to mid engine status. And I may be the only one, but to me the Vette looks worse as a MEV. Even in person, I don't care for it. I just don't see Ford using what little resources they have on this endeavor.

BAYoung

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brooks
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium 10 speed, rapid red, pp1,
I like the idea of a cheaper, faster alternative to an audi a7.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I regularly carry my 21 YO son behind my wife. He is about 5’8” and is relatively happy back there. The convertible has much more headroom over the coupe with the top up. The other week my wife and the wife of another couple with us rode back there. I don’t mind moving my seat up for short hops (at 6’1” or so, say, under 20 minutes), so I find the back seat useable enough to vote to keep it.

Sponsored

ionpig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019, MagnaRide, Recaro's etc...2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark Edition, 2012 Mini Cooper
With the current layout, the Mustang is barely a 4 seater, especially if you are tall. I am 6'1" and no one can fit behind me when I drive. We can only fit the three of us because my wife is 5' 4" and she can pull the seat up to give room to our daughter. Of course, my wife is blocking my view and makes driving more difficult. The car use to be a real 4 seater during various generations of the car. OK, maybe it could only fit children some of those times. I know the Fox body could. While I was in college, we easily fit 4 college adults in the car.

What do you think?

As a two door car.

Should the car ditch the rear seats and just have "in the car" cargo room ? Make it a 2 seater?

Or

Would you prefer the back seat become usable so four could enjoy the ride? OK, the seats would fit children but that would make it family accommodating more than the S550 does now.
If you want two seats get a Jaguar F Type.

ionpig

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt 2019, MagnaRide, Recaro's etc...2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark Edition, 2012 Mini Cooper
I regularly carry my 21 YO son behind my wife. He is about 5’8” and is relatively happy back there. The convertible has much more headroom over the coupe with the top up. The other week my wife and the wife of another couple with us rode back there. I don’t mind moving my seat up for short hops (at 6’1” or so, say, under 20 minutes), so I find the back seat useable enough to vote to keep it.
The convertible has limitless headroom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I am more of a Mustang purist I guess. My first car was 66'. The Mustang was always supposed to be an affordable sports car. It needs to stay that way. It is not a Corvette. It was never intended to be and never should be in that category. I do feel like at almost 50K for a loaded GT, they are starting to miss the mark on affordable. The technology and performance are great though. I haven't had anyone in the backseat of my S550 yet, but I am sure it would get the job done for short rides. Unless you are tall, then yeah,you are screwed.

I do like the idea of Lincoln taking the platform and relaunching a Cougar with a more usable back seat. I'm honestly not sure why they haven't done it yet, maybe they have been to busy working on the Bronco.

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
It looks like they want to expand "Mustang" to be a sub brand, so...let them add a two-seater sports car along with their EV. :wink:

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
The convertible has limitless headroom
Yes, but in that mode not particularly comfortable, even at local road speeds, as the ladies found out the other week. I generally give fair warning of this, especially if riding in the back at highway speeds.

Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I am more of a Mustang purist I guess. My first car was 66'. The Mustang was always supposed to be an affordable sports car. It needs to stay that way. It is not a Corvette. It was never intended to be and never should be in that category. I do feel like at almost 50K for a loaded GT, they are starting to miss the mark on affordable. The technology and performance are great though. I haven't had anyone in the backseat of my S550 yet, but I am sure it would get the job done for short rides. Unless you are tall, then yeah,you are screwed.

I do like the idea of Lincoln taking the platform and relaunching a Cougar with a more usable back seat. I'm honestly not sure why they haven't done it yet, maybe they have been to busy working on the Bronco.
I don't so much mind where a fully loaded S550 is, and I mean, they are LOADED.

But I would like to see some more affordable options on the lower end. the base starts about 4k too high, but, I guess you can buy them for about 22k at a dealer? I think a V8 option should be attainable in the 28-29k range at the most, prefferably closer to where the EB is right now with the EB being a little lower.

jkindler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium in Metallic
I’d say keep the current mustang because it’s Just the right amount of practical. Now I would say I’d also like to see a 4 door ford falcon make a comeback with the 5.0 to give the charger some competition. I’m sure sales would be good since people with growing families would trade their mustang in for a falcon. Plus they wouldn’t just get sales from selling to citizens they could also sell to police departments. At the same time I would also like to see a smaller 2 seater mustang as well. Basically remove all the space from the front seats to the trunk and maybe shorten the trunk a bit. Keep the same brakes and engines and retune the suspension a bit while shedding all that weight and it’ll be a really nice sports car.
would they call that a Shetland Pony?? :crackup::crackup:

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
And unlimited body roll :crackup:
Perhaps, but I’ll take that for the pleasure of top down motoring. And before the comments roll in about the Great White North and the short driving season, my first top down drive this year was January 2, wth more than several in the balance of the winter months.

Mcqueen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang, 2016 Ecoboost Mustang, 2019 Bullitt Mustang
If you want a 4 seat buy one of the Dodge things

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang has always been a 2+2... meaning 2 useable front seats + 2 extra seats that can be used scarcely. The seats are still MUCH more useable than those in a Toyota 86, Porsche 911, Jaguar XK/XKR, etc. and are perfectly suitable for a grand tourer. If they want to give more seat room, they can cut it out of the truck space, but I’d rather them just reduce trunk space and keep rear seat space the same for a smaller, lighter car
Sponsored