Sponsored

Should the Mustang become a two seater or go to a usable 4?

How many seats should a Mustang be?

• Total voters

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
With the current layout, the Mustang is barely a 4 seater, especially if you are tall. I am 6'1" and no one can fit behind me when I drive. We can only fit the three of us because my wife is 5' 4" and she can pull the seat up to give room to our daughter. Of course, my wife is blocking my view and makes driving more difficult. The car use to be a real 4 seater during various generations of the car. OK, maybe it could only fit children some of those times. I know the Fox body could. While I was in college, we easily fit 4 college adults in the car.

What do you think?

As a two door car.

Should the car ditch the rear seats and just have "in the car" cargo room ? Make it a 2 seater?

Or

Would you prefer the back seat become usable so four could enjoy the ride? OK, the seats would fit children but that would make it family accommodating more than the S550 does now.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
....The car use to be a real 4 seater during various generations of the car......I know the Fox body could. While I was in college, we easily fit 4 college adults in the car.......
It's never been a real 4 seater. Not in any of the generations. The FOX body was not. The rear seats in the Fox body were/are just as useless as those in the current car, if not actually worse.

The current car is a 4 seater that can fit 4 people, even if it is just children, in the back. Just like all Mustangs have always been.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
It's never been a real 4 seater. Not in any of the generations. The FOX body was not. The rear seats in the Fox body were/are just as useless as those in the current car, if not actually worse.

The current car is a 4 seater that can fit 4 people, even if it is just children, in the back. Just like all Mustangs have always been.
funny. I sat in the back of a '89 Fox with no issue. In my S550, there is no chance of it.

Never the less, the question still stands, make it a 2 seater and possibly gain some performance, make it a true 4 seater and pull in more families, etc or keep it as is.

I respect your choice to keep it as is. I wonder how useful an option that will be in the future. It could become very useful, especially if more work from home and a car is no longer daily transportation but a fun thing to do when you are off work. Sure, only 30%, give or take, can work from home but that will still could change people's buying desires.

In my own experiences, I use to have an '86 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z that I could , just barely, fit in the back seat. The back seats had slightly more room than the S550 even though the wheelbase was similar. Yeah, that was a front wheel drive car but the engine bay could fit a 318, 340 or 360 engine with a rear drive axle. All parts were available over the counter from Dodge parts dept. they stole some from their light trucks.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
funny. I sat in the back of a '89 Fox with no issue. In my S550, there is no chance of it.....
How many years since you sat in the back of an '89 Fox with no issue? The rear seat area in S550 Mustang is larger than in Fox body Mustangs.

OP
OP
Fly2High

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
How many years since you sat in the back of an '89 Fox with no issue? The rear seat area in S550 Mustang is larger than in Fox body Mustangs.
maybe the owner was shorter :) It was back in '89 - '93 was the last time I did. Maybe my memory is failing with age :)

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
maybe the owner was shorter :) It was back in '89 - '93 was the last time I did. Maybe my memory is failing with age :)
Soooo.......30 years or so ago? Maybe a little more weight on the ol' bones? Maybe not as flexible? Maybe a little bit girthier?

I too sat in the back of Mustangs/Capris 30 years ago. The rear seats haven't gotten smaller, we've gotten older & fatter, and can't bend that way anymore.:cwl::cwl:

IMO, there's no need to change the car. Leave it be. Not gonna be around for much longer anyways.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
It does not take all that much to make the Mustang a two seater. All Ford has to do is offer a rear seat delete option from the factory. Ford should really offer both the 2+2 and a two seat option.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
My wife and I sat in the back of a fox body when they were current models. It was not comfortable. I can sit behind the driver in my s550 if my wife is driving. It's not particularly comfortable and far, far easier to get back there when the top is down.

Might have been total BS but a salesman told me Ford keeps the rear seats so it doesn't have to be classified as a "sports" car.

I like it as it is. It really is easy to reach stuff on the back seats...

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
Leave as is. And no four door versions either. It is bad enough that the horrible electric Mazda cuv got a green light.

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I am tall and so is my girlfriend. when we sit in the 2019 gt there is literally no room between our seat backs and the rear seats. not even a child could fit. The seats for us are useless.

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Funny. I had an 89 Fox, and the back seat was tight but adults could fit. Then again I'm not 6 ft. 1. The Terminator had less room than the Fox and was barely usable in back. The S550? The back seat is a grocery shelf. The 64 1/2 had a real usable back seat. The story is that Henry Ii told Iacocca to lengthen the prototype a couple inches. Hate to agree with him, but yeah, put in a real seat. Otherwise I can get a Vette or a 57 T bird.
Sponsored