Sponsored

Should I wait for 2022' model year and be $6500 lighter to get my hands on a Mustang GT Performance Package in MA?

davidkrocks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Convertible
Hi all,

I am hoping to buy a new 2021 Mustang GT convertible custom ordered with all of the options I'd like (including the GT performance pack for a $6500)

Coming from an NC Miata with coilovers, pilot sport 2 tires, and underbody bracing I want to go for a high-performing convertible, but I also don't want to pay through the nose on consumables over its lifespan.

I just found out that I'd have to wait until August/september to order a 22' mustang with the GT Performance Package.

Living in Boston, MA all year round, the mustang will be my daily driver. Is the GT performance pack on the convertible (wont come with the rear spoiler, doesn't include the fancy shocks anymore) will not be a smooth experience? (buying winter wheels/tire package, dealing with potholes, consumables for brembos big brake kit etc.)

If I build a mustang without the GT performance package, I can place an order a 2021 now and not have to wait until the next model year.

21 Mustang GT convertible Premium
6-Speed Manual Transmission with Rev Matching
Velocity Blue
401A package
GT Performance Package
HD Radio with 12 Speakers BO system
Midnight Blue w/Grabber Blue Stitching seats
Active Valve Performance Exhaust System

In daily driving and commuting, will the $6500 GT performance package really be that drastic of the difference or is this performance package really just meant for track rats and glass-smooth roads?

Opinions and advice are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

David
Sponsored

Oxford19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0GT PP
I have a 19 PP hardtop and live just north of you in Andover. I commute down everyday for work and this is not my daily as I don’t want to get the worlds largest left leg sitting in traffic every day on my way home. Not that the clutch is heavy or anything, but you get the point. IMO if you’re not going to be traveling outside the city, or rarely, you may never get to enjoy the added benefits of the PP over just the premium convertible with a less stiff suspension. Do you commute in snow and such, as the rubber on the PP would be a no go. I fully understand wanting a PP car as that was a requirement for me, but mine is a second vehicle that I don’t NEED to use in crappy weather or junk roads.

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Save the $6,500 and buy now. Saving money and time and you're still getting a MY2021 Perf Pack car.
Was wondering the same thing.jusy buy a 2021 hiperf pack car with all the options you want.i have a 19 vertperf pack car.but regret not getting the magneride option for ride quality

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Don't wait, you're wasting time not living with that GT shit eating grin. The sound, the sound.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Don't wait, you're wasting time not living with that GT shit eating grin. The sound, the sound.
idk.. I understand living in moment, but damn. I want to push my $$ as far as I can. 6500 can be invested

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
Skip the PP1 and buy better or PP1 take off's when someone with a PP replaces with the MANY aftermarket options available. Less money than PP1 option now.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I did a search around my area within 100 miles in California and I can find the exact car that he wants except everyone of them is an A10. I’m not sure why. VB is hard too.

NotagainV2

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
19 F150 19 Explorer 04 Thunderbird
This isnt even a decision. Buy a blower with the 6500 and wait for a 22.

Mustang Production is done for the year.

OP
OP
davidkrocks

davidkrocks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Convertible
Thanks for all of the great responses. As much as I’d like to go for a $6500 Gt performance pack, if I’m sticking around driving the pothole infested streets of Boston, I’d rather have more ride compliance and functionality to do things later. It’s likely going to be a forever daily driver to me and if I don’t have to deal with the hassle of finding a set of snow wheels and tires that are expensive to use, the better off I’ll be.

I’m about to place an order through the Ford dealer sponsor.

On the topic of a blower, I’m coming from my fastest car I’ve ever owned was a 150hp Miata so I think the 5.0 will be quite enough of a challenge for a while! 😅

Last edited:

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
2021 Mustang GT convertible....GT performance pack for a $6500.

Coming from an NC Miata with coilovers, pilot sport 2 tires, and underbody bracing I want to go for a high-performing convertible, but I also don't want to pay through the nose on consumables over its lifespan.

.....the mustang will be my daily driver. Is the GT performance pack on the convertible (wont come with the rear spoiler, doesn't include the fancy shocks anymore) will not be a smooth experience? (buying winter wheels/tire package, dealing with potholes, consumables for brembos big brake kit etc.)

In daily driving and commuting, will the $6500 GT performance package really be that drastic of the difference or is this performance package really just meant for track rats and glass-smooth roads?
You've gotten horrible advice/observations so far. I don't think people are understanding what car you're coming from, or keeping it in mind.

Coming from a Miata with full suspension, the Mustang is going to be massive, heavy, soft and floaty. Even WITH the Performance Pack and Magneride suspension. And you absolutely should be getting the Magneride suspension.

These Mustangs are GT (Grand Touring) cars, not sports cars. They are not a "high performing convertible" in the manner you're used to.

The Magneride suspension will give you a reasonably firm (but still nowhere near what you're used to) ride and handling in Track mode, but can also be even softer when you want in Normal mode. The Magneride is witchcraft, turning crappy roads into smooth sailing. These cars ride extremely comfortably.

Is the PP dramatically different? Yes, very much so. Very different. The PP just starts to make these Mustangs a bit sporty, but they're still soft/comfortable cars, very different from your Miata. I definitely think you will find that the Performance Pack is not sporty enough for you. But without the PP, you'd be bored to tears in the car, dying to buy another Miata.

Consumables? PP tires last about 15K miles, and cost about $1,200 to replace. For brakes, the Brembo rotors and pads aren't expensive to replace, and also last a long time because they're huge.

You will need a 2nd set of tires for the winter, since it actually snows in your area.

I'd also suggest getting these optional PP wheels;
1624634737647.png

The normal PP wheels are incredibly hard to clean by hand.

Last edited:

Oxford19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0GT PP
You've gotten horrible advice/observations so far. I don't think people are understanding what car you're coming from, or keeping it in mind.

Coming from a Miata with full suspension, the Mustang is going to be massive, heavy, soft and floaty. Even WITH the Performance Pack and Magneride suspension. And you absolutely should be getting the Magneride suspension.

These Mustangs are GT (Grand Touring) cars, not sports cars. They are not a "high performing convertible" in the manner you're used to.

The Magneride suspension will give you a reasonably firm (but still nowhere near what you're used to) ride and handling in Track mode, but can also be even softer when you want in Normal mode. The Magneride is witchcraft, turning crappy roads into smooth sailing. These cars ride extremely comfortably.

Is the PP dramatically different? Yes, very much so. Very different. The PP just starts to make these Mustangs a bit sporty, but they're still soft/comfortable cars, very different from your Miata. I definitely think you will find that the Performance Pack is not sporty enough for you. But without the PP, you'd be bored to tears in the car, dying to buy another Miata.

Consumables? PP tires last about 15K miles, and cost about $1,200 to replace. For brakes, the Brembo rotors and pads aren't expensive to replace, and also last a long time because they're huge.

You will need a 2nd set of tires for the winter, since it actually snows in your area.

I'd also suggest getting these optional PP wheels;
1624634737647.png

The normal PP wheels are incredibly hard to clean by hand.
I wouldn’t say observations have been horrible as there is more info I guess we could use. For instance, maybe he doesn’t want to have a ride like the miata’s was because driving around here can be a real crap show? I get the magnaride, as I wish mine had it. Maybe he doesn’t have storage for extra wheels. If he is city street parking year round is the extra cost worth the constant element exposure/wear to him? I’m all for the PP cars but he was looking for input from people for a reason. Side note, if you DO like the above wheels and have storage, mine will be for sale around this winter 😂.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I wouldn’t say observations have been horrible as there is more info I guess we could use. For instance, maybe he doesn’t want to have a ride like the miata’s was because driving around here can be a real crap show? I get the magnaride, as I wish mine had it. Maybe he doesn’t have storage for extra wheels. If he is city street parking year round is the extra cost worth the constant element exposure/wear to him? I’m all for the PP cars but he was looking for input from people for a reason. Side note, if you DO like the above wheels and have storage, mine will be for sale around this winter 😂.
That's the point, in comparison to a full suspension Miata, even a PP1 car (especially with Magneride) will be much, much softer. Which is why I'm saying he's been getting seriously crappy observations.

I don't understand what you're writing about street parking/extra cost/element exposure, what are you referencing?

And if the OP is already considering a PP car, he must understand there's a 2nd set of winter tires involved, just like with his Miata. And if he can "store" a 2nd set of tires, wheels aren't a problem. But they aren't really necessary, either.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Right, the PP automatically comes with summer tires. So you'll absolutely need another set of wheels if you go the PP route. However, I would say that unless you're getting Magneride, getting the PP just by itself is a very questionable value proposition. For the $6500 you can get a LOT of parts that are as good or better than what comes from Ford. However, you absolutely CANNOT get magnaride in the aftermarket.

When I test drove a PP1 vs my stock base, I couldn't really tell that much of a difference in ride quality honestly. Granted, that I wasn't really pushing them. I also rode in a magnaride equipped GT350 and the ride was fairly close to my mustang with Bilsteins. The nice thing about magnaride is that you can switch various driving modes (normal, sport, etc.)

Oxford19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 5.0GT PP
That's the point, in comparison to a full suspension Miata, even a PP1 car (especially with Magneride) will be much, much softer. Which is why I'm saying he's been getting seriously crappy observations.

I don't understand what you're writing about street parking/extra cost/element exposure, what are you referencing?

And if the OP is already considering a PP car, he must understand there's a 2nd set of winter tires involved, just like with his Miata. And if he can "store" a 2nd set of tires, wheels aren't a problem. But they aren't really necessary, either.
All good points. Was just putting forth where he was asking about spending the extra money for the PP car and the fact that weather, plows, crappy city drivers could contribute to damage at an accelerated rate being in that environment constantly. I personally would be upset if I spend extra money to then watch it get damaged. But he obviously knows his parking situation and knows what potential risks there are in Boston so I guess I made a moot point. Sorry lol.
Sponsored