Should I use Insurance to repair Rock Chip?

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by LFG_Cory, Jan 21, 2020.

1. LFG_Cory

LFG_Cory Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
    0   0   0
    The inevitable happened driving Florida's interstates. A semi I was passing threw a rock that hit my windshield. In 36 years of driving and having insurance, I've never had to make an insurance claim of any kind so I need some advice on whether to pay out of pocket or use my insurance to cover the cost since it's covered under comprehensive.

The answer seems to be obvious but this is where I need advice. Some people say use the insurance, others say not to on something so minor because the insurance company will somehow hold this against me and up my policy costs. Seems to me that this cost would be figured in on my comprehensive coverage so no harm no foul.

I want to make the right decision. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance. rock chip.jpg

2. Voodoo Velocity

Voodoo Velocity Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Shelby GT350 / 2016 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
    0   0   0
    In Florida, insurance covers 100% of windshield replacement. Further, if there is no running crack, a chip can be filled. This claim could affect your premium at renewal (they always increase anyway), but should not be significant. I have had chips filled for approx $50 and paid out of pocket.

LFG_Cory likes this.
  3. cbdallas

cbdallas Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Ecoboost coupe
    0   0   0
    You're going to pay for the windshield out of your own pocket one way or another, so you just need to decide if you want to plunk down the cash now, or 'make payments' on it over the next few years.

People may think, or try to convince you that your rates won't go up because of a comp claim, but I've already seen it happen several times on my own policies (State Farm, Allstate, and Safeco). It may not look like much at renewal time, but they're going to get it back.

Anymore, unless it's too financially burdensome to take care of myself, I don't even get them involved.

I would look on Yelp for a good windshield repair guy to fix that first, in case you're considering replacing. I just had one done on my Canyon, and you can only find it if you REALLY look for it. Beats the hell out of paying for new glass.

LFG_Cory and Voodoo Velocity like this.
  4. key01

key01 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350 Race Red w/white stripes
    0   0   0
    Looking closer at your good photo it appears that you have lots of sandblasted damage as well. Am I reading that right? You may just be better off replacing the whole windshield.

5. OP
    OP
    LFG_Cory

First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I think you may be right on the sand blast. I noticed that too in the pic but I took the photo after a 200 plus mile drive. Could just be dirt but it does look like pitting. I'll have to clean the windshield then take another photo. The previous owner installed ceramic film on the inside of the windshield. So if I don't have to replace it I'd rather not. Mayber I need to invest in tear offs for Florida roads.

6. Austinj427

Austinj427 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    You can call your insurance and verify that comp losses don't increase rates.

None of my companies will increase rates due to a comp loss, I even had a buddy get a car stolen and he actually saw a rate decrease next renewal.

Voodoo Velocity and LFG_Cory like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    LFG_Cory

First Name:
    Cory
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Appreciate the responses!!!

8. Wildcardfox

Wildcardfox Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Brett
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350R
    0   0   0
    Get ClearPlex on the fixed or replaced windshield. It’s saved me from lots of rock chips.

9. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT350 - K1393
    0   0   0
    It's state law in Arizona that any car insurance company doing business here has to cover glass breakage as "no fault" and can't raise your rates.

That being said, insurance companies aren't charitable institutions, and when I moved from SoCal to Arizona my insurance doubled. (They will get their money one way or the other)

You've gone 36 years without a claim? I would imagine they would give you this occurrence as a freebie/no penalty.

10. Shift

Shift Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    a Ford
    0   0   0
    $10 windshield repair kit from amazon will probably do wonders for that. I've done it on 2 cars, one of them having similar damage to yours. It's about 90% gone, and you won't notice it unless you know where to look, and look hard. So if this is not smack in the middle of your face, it's definitely worth the $10 and 10 minutes of your time to try.

https://www.amazon.com/Rain-X-60000...7547-4d9b-b4f8-fe31bfe05040&tag=thedrive09-20

enthusiastic9 likes this.
  11. EABbGD_

EABbGD_ Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350
    0   0   0
    Go through insurance. Windshield comp losses in Florida should have no impact on rates. Had a similar issue with a rock chip last year and no change after filing a claim.

12. key01

key01 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350 Race Red w/white stripes
    0   0   0
    After you clean it run your finger nail over the glass. You’ll know right away if it is pitted.

13. Inthehighdesert

Inthehighdesert Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 gt convertible
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Not sure what cost is in your area but a new mustang windshield here is $225is installed here. Glass replacement isn’t an issue for most carriers here. On average every vehicle I own gets 1-2 windshields a year. If it isn’t rock chips it’s pits from blowing sand.

14. Burgo

Burgo Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
    Department of Justice
    0   0   0
    In Australia every insurer provides a free windscreen every year without touching your excess or premiums.

15. CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Sean
    Vehicle(s):
    2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
    0   0   0
    A good glass tech can successfully repair that windshield for around $100 or less. They'll vacuum out the air and then inject it with clear resin to prevent the damage from spreading and make it almost unnoticeable. Call a couple of body shops and ask them who they use for repairing rock chips in windshields. I'd rather go that route than breaking a factory seal. Also, depending on your policy, most insurance companies will try to replace the glass with aftermarket junk. Someone mentioned that the replacement glass is only $225? I'll bet that isn't Ford O.E. If it is, then that's cheap and you have some decisions to make. Good luck.

LFG_Cory likes this.