Should i twin turbo a GT mustang or buy a GT350

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
I'd say depends on your budget and what you can/want to do with that budget. Adding twins to the V6 would (in my mind) be the cheaper option - you don't need to buy a car and parts are available. I think a twin turbo V6 would be kinda cool, slightly sleeper-ish, and a "what if" if Ford stuck a bored-out 3.5 in the S550. I would not, however, do a V6 to V8 swap. It's not as straightforward nowadays as it was with older cars thanks to dedicated modules and harnesses.

Buying an unmodified GT and adding twins would be the most expensive option and one that I personally wouldn't pull unless mods were slated for later on. Your best bet IMO would be to just buy an already modified one.

With the GT350, you're pretty much at the S550's purest sportiest form. Something that is track capable out of the box and won't need much in upgrades to have fun at the track. Maybe not the most powerful or best to daily, but would at least (for me) put a smile on your face when you drive it. Also the easiest route, unless you'd plan to add FI to it too lol. A big con is the Voodoo's *sometimes* questionable reliability and cost of ownership - registration, fuel, and insurance won't be cheap.

If it was my choice, I'd go the GT350 route if the budget is there. Something special and fun...and that noise šŸ˜³. If I was in your shoes and wanted more power though, I'd consider doing some heavy research on 3.7 FI. V6's can sound good and make some good power, something unique to boot too.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Red16

Big Red16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 mustang
I'd say depends on your budget and what you can/want to do with that budget. Adding twins to the V6 would (in my mind) be the cheaper option - you don't need to buy a car and parts are available. I think a twin turbo V6 would be kinda cool, slightly sleeper-ish, and a "what if" if Ford stuck a bored-out 3.5 in the S550. I would not, however, do a V6 to V8 swap. It's not as straightforward nowadays as it was with older cars thanks to dedicated modules and harnesses.

Buying an unmodified GT and adding twins would be the most expensive option and one that I personally wouldn't pull unless mods were slated for later on. Your best bet IMO would be to just buy an already modified one.

With the GT350, you're pretty much at the S550's purest sportiest form. Something that is track capable out of the box and won't need much in upgrades to have fun at the track. Maybe not the most powerful or best to daily, but would at least (for me) put a smile on your face when you drive it. Also the easiest route, unless you'd plan to add FI to it too lol. A big con is the Voodoo's *sometimes* questionable reliability and cost of ownership - registration, fuel, and insurance won't be cheap.

If it was my choice, I'd go the GT350 route if the budget is there. Something special and fun...and that noise šŸ˜³. If I was in your shoes and wanted more power though, I'd consider doing some heavy research on 3.7 FI. V6's can sound good and make some good power, something unique to boot too.
Yea I definitely think it would be cool and easier to just twin turbo my V6 but I would really love to have a V8. My V6 actually sounds pretty damn nice, not to sound biased since it is my car, but it's the best sounding V6 ive heard. I have some mods on it ( shorty headers, 93 tune, cold air intake ,and a custom exhaust)

I think I might go with the GT350 route but I'm still not 100% sure. Also why do you think moding a GT would be more expensive, honestly I thought it might be atleast a bit cheaper than buying a GT350

69boss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT mustang Premium
If power is your ultimate goal go with a GT and upgrade it. I personally would rather have a GT350 because itā€™s a Shelby and will hold itā€™s value much better.

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB
A TT GT or even a TT V6 is gonna be faster than a GT350, unless you were gonna TT that as well

Sponsored

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
IMO, I would trade in the v6 and get a GT , then TT. if you had a bigger budget go for the GT350. However, if you just want straight line race a GT with TT with beat the GT350.

I never would get a v6 mustang or v4 mustang even with the new HPP V4. My thought is the V4 has turbo and it is very good power for a 4 cyl. right, but you know you will run into GT with power adders , it is pretty much game over for you. the cost to make a 4 cyl. to make 800-1000 hp like the GT will be more and not making any sense to do it unless you have unlimited fun.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
If you wanna be the fastest guy at the drag strip. Get the turbos. If we want a cool car-show car that you can road course. The GT350.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Power adders are for rich people IMO. Figure any money you spend on TT or a blower is thrown away and the value of the car is decreased by half. Also figure there's a non-zero (maybe as much as 15%) chance that you will break something expensive.

And remember you will see your tires go up in smoke. Tires are expensive.

So if you're rich and don't mind all that, go for the glory and TT a GT. Otherwise I think a nearly stock GT350 is a lot better for long term $$. And they are great IMO.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Yea I definitely think it would be cool and easier to just twin turbo my V6 but I would really love to have a V8. My V6 actually sounds pretty damn nice, not to sound biased since it is my car, but it's the best sounding V6 ive heard. I have some mods on it ( shorty headers, 93 tune, cold air intake ,and a custom exhaust)

I think I might go with the GT350 route but I'm still not 100% sure. Also why do you think moding a GT would be more expensive, honestly I thought it might be atleast a bit cheaper than buying a GT350
Modding one might be roughly the same cost, I'm not really certain though, but buying a stock GT and modifying it will cost more thanks to inflated prices.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
The big question is , who is going to put the turbos on the GT 5.0 ? If you do TT your GT 5.0 yourself, it may not come out as nice as the shops that do TT installs. I would check out the professional TT installers and find out what the cost of the turbo kits are and how much the labor would be to complete the turbo installations. In the back of my mind , I am all for TT on a Mustang GT 5.0 V8.

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Power adders are for rich people IMO. Figure any money you spend on TT or a blower is thrown away and the value of the car is decreased by half. Also figure there's a non-zero (maybe as much as 15%) chance that you will break something expensive.

And remember you will see your tires go up in smoke. Tires are expensive.

So if you're rich and don't mind all that, go for the glory and TT a GT. Otherwise I think a nearly stock GT350 is a lot better for long term $$. And they are great IMO.
The value is decreased by half lol although it doesnā€™t increase value to most people. That why i put it back to stock and trade it in and sell the kit. If the car is clean and done right some one will pay more might take awhile.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
TT your GT......
GT350 is not fast enough IMO...So unless you can swing a GT500,Id add a power adder to a GT
which is what I did
This is what I was just thinking too. Gt350 is a beautiful car but I don't think that you'll be happy with it. Just twin turbo the v6 and post a video here :)

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Buy a GT and put a centri blower on it. Easy install, cheaper than twin turbos, way less maintenance, great power and you still get that impeller woosh. If you get a loud BOV most people will think you have turbos anyway.
Sponsored