Sponsored

Should I take it back to the shop and complain?

OP
OP
CarTramrod

CarTramrod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyrel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1, 1988 Ford Mustang LX
Did you look at the BMR part numbers posted on Lethal's site for those magnaride 'drag' springs? Both drag spring kits for magnaride cars use the same rear spring. If you look up the part number on BMRs site, it is a 'handling' spring. The only difference between the boosted vs n/a BMR kits for magnaride is the front springs. Boosted setup is minimal drop 'performance' front spring and the n/a setup is a front drag spring.
So I did get the correct springs?
Sponsored

OP
OP
CarTramrod

CarTramrod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyrel
Vehicle(s)
Would have been way easier to talk to BMR yourself about your setup and order the correct springs for your application direct from them. Then have your buddy over to your house for some pizza and beers to take care of the install.
I tried but he only does work on lifts now, we are getting too old to being laying on our backs on the concrete lol

OP
OP
CarTramrod

CarTramrod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyrel
Vehicle(s)
Wow what an asshole that shop owner. That's an insane cost for just springs. Next time make sure you buy the part yourself and then find a reputable shop that will install it. But I highly recommend you get your hands dirty, it pays off if you are able to do so. Both for peace of mind that it was done correctly and cost. I have done full suspension for many cars in a garage, its really simple.
They do not let people bring in their own parts, they say too many times people have ordered the wrong parts and their cars are taking up space in the shop.

OP
OP
CarTramrod

CarTramrod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyrel
Vehicle(s)
Wow what an asshole that shop owner. That's an insane cost for just springs. Next time make sure you buy the part yourself and then find a reputable shop that will install it. But I highly recommend you get your hands dirty, it pays off if you are able to do so. Both for peace of mind that it was done correctly and cost. I have done full suspension for many cars in a garage, its really simple.
I've never done suspension stuff before and the magneride and springs tensiob scared me. That and I'm to the point in my life where I tend to pay experts to do stuff like that lol

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
They do not let people bring in their own parts, they say too many times people have ordered the wrong parts and their cars are taking up space in the shop.
They are just a shit shop. Many shops would be ok with you bringing your own parts, they can always give a disclaimer if you order the wrong parts you are responsible for the cost of reinstalling them. Also the shop should verify the parts purchased match the car before installing them, I would think an honest shop would do.

Sponsored

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
I've never done suspension stuff before and the magneride and springs tensiob scared me. That and I'm to the point in my life where I tend to pay experts to do stuff like that lol
yeah I get you, that's cool I said if you are able to and willing to. The shop just sucked, the run around should have given you the clue. An honest shop would give you straight answer up front and a reasonable cost for install. Plus next time verify the correct part is being placed, maybe asked to see the part and verify online is the part you are looking for. Just my .02 cents.

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
First indicator you should have gone somewhere else -- or better-- do yourself.

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Can you identify what is installed by maybe lifting the car? The springs depending on manufacturer usually have a stamp on the springs. Then you can cross reference online to see you got the right ones.

1706732525379.png

Snakebyte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
That indeed happens, and the shop owner's concern is valid. I can't count the number of times on my hands of when I purchased parts from the local shop only to find that a) the part was wrong, b) the part was defective, or c) the part was used [and often returned because it was defective or the original person replaced the part in the box with the one he/she took off the car]. You get into a pointing fingers situation as a result.

One thing I don't like is that many shops get the same part I get from the neighborhood parts store I go to, and on the shop's bill, they charge me the list price, not the retail price I would have paid going to the parts store myself. Often shops get a discount, below my retail price. If the shop had to go to the auto parts store, pick up the part, and bring it back I'd be a bit more accepting of charging the list price. But the truth is, they almost always get the part(s) delivered for free. All they do is call the parts store and tell them what they want. Then bingo, delivered. I realize there's some accounting work behind the scenes, but not that much. But, they are in the business for a profit, not provide welfare.

Life is full of risks and rewards. I weigh those into my decisions as whether I want to do a job myself or have someone else do the work. The more tools, knowledge, and expertise we have/develop, the more control we have over the outcome. While this forum can't help with tools and electrical/mechanical skills, it sure has saved me with trips to the local shop via awesome input of knowledge I could apply to make repairs myself.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
No idea....but the rear springs are probably correct. Did you want the forced induction or n/a spring setup? The rears are called 'handling springs' from BMR, but the front springs are different. Ask your shop for the part number of the front springs that they installed.
1706736364304.png
1706736404383.png

1706736546750.png

Sponsored
OP
OP
CarTramrod

CarTramrod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyrel
Vehicle(s)
No idea....but the rear springs are probably correct. Did you want the forced induction or n/a spring setup? The rears are called 'handling springs' from BMR, but the front springs are different. Ask your shop for the part number of the front springs that they installed.
1706736364304.png
1706736404383.png

1706736546750.png
The box they gave me with my old springs in it show a part number of BMR-SPH765R.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
They are just a shit shop. Many shops would be ok with you bringing your own parts, they can always give a disclaimer if you order the wrong parts you are responsible for the cost of reinstalling them. Also the shop should verify the parts purchased match the car before installing them, I would think an honest shop would do.
Disagree, most shops will not install parts that you bring in… Reasons? : $ of course
They have a great mark up in parts, It’s an important profit center for any shop and they would be giving that up of with parts you bring in. Business 101

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Disagree, most shops will not install parts that you bring in… Reasons? : $ of course
They have a great mark up in parts, It’s an important profit center for any shop and they would be giving that up of with parts you bring in. Business 101
The guy you quoted said many, not most. And many will install your parts. There are other ways to preserve their profit stream. For example, an increased hourly labor rate on customer supplied parts, or increased "shop" fees or simply a surcharge. And since they are obviously not warranting the part they are not on the hook for labor should the part fail which reduces their possible exposure.
However, by allowing the shop to purchase the parts they are taking on the responsibility of warranting those parts. To me it's worth the little extra to know that if a part fails (and even springs can fail) R&R labor and a new part are not on my dime.

OP, your first clue should have been when your "friend" refused to help you because you don’t have a lift.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The guy you quoted said many, not most. And many will install your parts. There are other ways to preserve their profit stream. For example, an increased hourly labor rate on customer supplied parts, or increased "shop" fees or simply a surcharge. And since they are obviously not warranting the part they are not on the hook for labor should the part fail which reduces their possible exposure.
However, by allowing the shop to purchase the parts they are taking on the responsibility of warranting those parts. To me it's worth the little extra to know that if a part fails (and even springs can fail) R&R labor and a new part are not on my dime.

OP, your first clue should have been when your "friend" refused to help you because you don’t have a lift.
Semantics, “many” imply more than a few, most imply than not many/only a few would work on customer supplied parts

93_SVT_3503

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2013 King Ranch Expedition, 1967 Ford Bronco half-cab, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1967 F250 Highboy
I talked to my buddy for a while before the owner came up and said " so you want springs on your car?" I said yeah. He said " and you only want your buddy to work on it huh". I said yep, He then said " who did your headers?" I told him i had a shop that was 5 minutes from my house do it. He came back with a quick " where's your loyalty? You only want your friend to work on it but you took it another shop" then he grilled me on who did my clutch and transmission. I let him know I did them in my garage on jack-stands by myself.
Pretty specific questions for him to ask. Sounds like your 'buddy' was talking 💩 about the situation before you got there with the car, or the owner didn't want to do the job at his shop. I'd say the price they charged you is also indicative of something of the sorts.
I have several buddies that work at shops, and 99% of the time, they would rather do the work themselves on the side just to keep the $$ to themselves. I'd make that my last visit to that shop.
Sponsored