Sponsored

Should I take extended warranty through CNA?

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I'm picking up a 2017 GT350 with 19k miles in a few days. The dealer is trying to sell me the extended warranty (3 year 36k miles) through CNA, which I've heard mostly good things about. So I have two questions.

1) When I went online to try to price an extended warranty through a few companies, like Flood Ford, etc., I couldn't even get one because my car was purchased new more than 41 months ago. So how is this Lincoln dealer even able to offer me one? Is it because of their relationship with CNA?

2) Since this car has pretty low miles and a great service record (oil changes every 3k at a Ford Dealership), if you were me would you skip the extended warranty all together?

Thanks guy!
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm picking up a 2017 GT350 with 19k miles in a few days. The dealer is trying to sell me the extended warranty (3 year 36k miles) through CNA, which I've heard mostly good things about. So I have two questions.

1) When I went online to try to price an extended warranty through a few companies, like Flood Ford, etc., I couldn't even get one because my car was purchased new more than 41 months ago. So how is this Lincoln dealer even able to offer me one? Is it because of their relationship with CNA?

2) Since this car has pretty low miles and a great service record (oil changes every 3k at a Ford Dealership), if you were me would you skip the extended warranty all together?

Thanks guy!
If I understand correctly the CNA warranty is not an actual Ford recognized warranty; it's a third party extended warranty. So you'd be responsible for getting any repairs done and then trying to get CNA to reimburse you. That can be a major hassle and not always successful.

Extended warranty do not financially work in the customer favor.
It’s like gambling, the house always winn
This is the case for any insurance, otherwise the insurance company wouldn't be able to stay in business. It's always a matter of loss mitigation by spreading out risk across the pool of the insured. Whether you accept that risk will always be a personal decision.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
That is a tough one. How much original powertrain remains? Not sure I would buy a '17 without a Ford warranty in case the engine goes South. This is coming from a guy who bought a 2017 and the 7 year extended warranty at original purchase. 3,000 mile oil changes could easily mask any oil consumption issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
That is a tough one. How much original powertrain remains? Not sure I would buy a '17 without a Ford warranty in case the engine goes South. This is coming from a guy who bought a 2017 and the 7 year extended warranty at original purchase. 3,000 mile oil changes could easily mask any oil consumption issues.
There is nothing left of the factory warranty at all at this point, and there appears to be no option for a genuine Ford extended warranty since my car was purchased “new” more than 41 months ago.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
^ Ok, well the Ford new car and Ford extended warranties pretty much covered engine loss with minimal hassle. If you failed a consumption test, you got a new motor. I wish you luck with third party warranties, as they can be very tricky to file large claims, like a $20,000 new engine.

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
There is nothing left of the factory warranty at all at this point, and there appears to be no option for a genuine Ford extended warranty since my car was purchased “new” more than 41 months ago.
You can get a ford ESP on your vehicle. Check with lombard ford. They require a 100 dollar inspection but if your car passes boom Ford ESP.

https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/

Flood ford only sales New Car ESPs not Used Car ESPs.

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
You can get a ford ESP on your vehicle. Check with lombard ford. They require a 100 dollar inspection but if your car passes boom Ford ESP.

https://www.lombardfordwarrantys.com/

Flood ford only sales New Car ESPs not Used Car ESPs.
Wow that’s fantastic!! It’s also about $1000 less than the one the dealer quoted me. So if by chance the engine went out, it probably would be easily covered by a Ford ESP?

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow that’s fantastic!! It’s also about $1000 less than the one the dealer quoted me. So if by chance the engine went out, it probably would be easily covered by a Ford ESP?
The Ford dealers i have worked with (not on engine replacements but common warranty stuff) always treat the Ford ESP like a factory warranty. Never even blink. I would be afraid a third party warranty would have more hoops to jump through and a dealer may not like dealing with them (if they dealt with them at all)

Edit: I have purchased ESPs on my past half dozen vehicles and never regretted it. Also if you sell the vehicle you can cancel the ESP and get a prorated refund or transfer it and increase the price of the car.

Sponsored

Blwnsmoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Go through Lombard and do the coupon code via email for close to another $200 off.

Yes, engine is covered on all plans.

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go through Lombard and do the coupon code via email for close to another $200 off.

Yes, engine is covered on all plans.
Also do it before the 5th. Prices are going up.

OP
OP
tps7c

tps7c

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Also do it before the 5th. Prices are going up.
I probably won’t have the car before the 5th though. I wonder if I can purchase it before I actually pick the car up?

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I probably won’t have the car before the 5th though. I wonder if I can purchase it before I actually pick the car up?
I’m sure you could. I would give them a call tomorrow and get the ball rolling. I think you will only need to have the VIN and mileage.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For anyone thinking of buying an Extended Warranty….. please read the fine print and ask questions when these Sales people are shoving it down your throat at time of signing….

Read ALL the fine print and ask questions... Is this ESP Warranty in effect AFTER the new car 3/36 and 5/60 Powertrain has expired OR is it an ESP Warranty that runs concurrently with the existing 3/36 or 5/60? Some ESP's start as of the vehicle purchase date and do run concurrently - not many sellers of such warranties will tell consumer that fact.

The Ford 5/60 Powertrain covers quite a bit, not many owners read up on this either... but are sold ESP's that cover the same components.

The bigger question should be:
Will you run out at miles or years first with any Warranty? An Extended Warranty (any) won't be beneficial to anyone if the car is mostly garaged and sees limited miles - so even though you may have limited miles 5 years goes by quick too... and still ends the warranty.

If the ESP runs concurrently with the 3/36 or 5/60, then get the one with the longest length of coverage - such as a 7/100 or 8/120, whatever may be the most current plan.

Also when buying any warranty, it's not always important at what it covers, it's what the plan does NOT cover. HVAC, head/tail lamps and electrical components are the biggest ticket items aside from Powertrain that are the most expensive cost of repairs today with modern vehicles.

So it looks and works like this:
3/36 used for nearly all warranty claims during first 3 years/36k miles, whichever comes first.

5/60 runs concurrently with the 3/36, so after 3/36 is depleted by miles or years first, the remainder of the 5/60 is left which is 2/24 (again whichever comes first).

Ford ESP (and some aftermarket ESP’s) - run concurrently with the 3/36 and 5/60. So only AFTER the 3/36 and/or 5/60 is depleted, will the ESP be used. FACT (and it’s in the ESP fine print). So take for instance a new car owner bought a 7/75k ESP - what they really bought was a 2/15k if looking at it AFTER the 5/60 expired.

The above is why if buying any ESP (Ford or aftermarket) and planning on keeping a car for at least 5 years, always go with the ESP that has the longest term available.
Sponsored