Sponsored

Should I sell my Mustang and get a C7 Corvette ?

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I wish the Mustang were smaller as well. It wouldn't have to be a ton smaller, but smaller would be nice. And I'd love to see a transaxle on it. That would be a great improvement for weight balance.
Somewhere around SN95 size would be ideal....
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So my advice is to think carefully about what you will use the Corvette for and whether you will really prefer it over the Mustang. I think the Corvette for me is a good cruiser when the roads are relatively empty. The Mustang is better for daily commuting. I think the Mustang is safer in the event of an accident. For road course use only, the right model Corvette could be great. I looked at the pluses and minuses of the last few models of Corvettes and all of the track models have some drawbacks IMO.
Good post, echoes a lot of my thoughts, having owned a few Vettes and now being on my 2nd GT. The coyote is spectacular, it's high revving, has plenty of bottom end (with _proper_ gearing), and is insanely responsive to boost and E85 tuning (especially the Gen 3).

The Mustang looks great, has good visibility, great interior room, as jay Leno recently pointed out (GT500 episode), it's a really open cockpit/greenhouse. Easy to get in/out, it also feels really substantial, I don't feel like I'm sitting "under" trucks on the highway.

I mean, I also totally dig on having back seats (or "seats") since there's three of us, and it means I can take the GT for fun runs with the whole family (since mine is a vert, with the top down, the back seats are actually pretty nice).

There's nothing particularly magic about a Corvette, it's a nice execution of a domestic sports car, if I didn't want back seats, I might very well be driving a C7 right now - but to be honest, I think I'd rather have a C6, if I was OK with a manual, I'd track down a 427 C6 convertible.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Has the OP ever showed back up? To say what he did?

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
A lot of c7s are being discounted, I'd take the plunge, it's a whole 'nother level. Take it to the track and this is where the c7 really shines.
If I didnt have a viper, I'd be in a zr1 right now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Has the OP ever showed back up? To say what he did?
The OP just posted a little while ago.

AFAIK he's searching for the right C7 (2017+ M7 Z51 ) to pop up . Or when Spring comes he's just going to dump a bunch of money into the Mustang and some more track time , and try and get one more season out of the S550 without having to buy a diff cooler.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Itd be funny as hell if angst said op is annoying and just needs to make up his mind.

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Itd be funny as hell if angst said op is annoying and just needs to make up his mind.
now you sound like the OP’s wife

Sponsored

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Corvettes are really good driving cars in general. The low center of gravity and good weight distribution make a big difference in driving dynamics compared to Mustangs.

However for me I've found I just don't like the engine enough to love the car. And the cabin is a little too tight for me. Not just lack of head room, I get a little claustrophobic at times. Worst is being tail gated and it feels like that pickup or semi is about 3 feet from my head (because it is).

I bought my Corvette because I loved the chassis and size of my 1986 944. The 944 is slow, but the chassis is really good. The thing is, even as tiny as the 944 is - it has a lot more room inside than my C5. Lots of head room, and the rear bumper is farther away from the back of the driver's head. Generally I just like it better, even though mine is old and junky.

I hate to admit it but I found I actually prefer driving my Fiesta ST over my C5 Z06 in my commute. It's a lot slower, but somehow still more fun to drive. It is a real revelation to me that I can prefer driving something cheap and relatively slow over a Corvette. And yes the newer Corvettes are faster than the older ones, but I didn't find them to be that much more enjoyable to drive. And of course if I still had the GT350 I would probably only pick up the Fiesta key if the weather was crappy.

All would be forgiven if I found the C5 to be amazing on track, but it got hot really fast and the engine is not fun to rev out.

So my advice is to think carefully about what you will use the Corvette for and whether you will really prefer it over the Mustang. I think the Corvette for me is a good cruiser when the roads are relatively empty. The Mustang is better for daily commuting. I think the Mustang is safer in the event of an accident. For road course use only, the right model Corvette could be great. I looked at the pluses and minuses of the last few models of Corvettes and all of the track models have some drawbacks IMO.
@Hack when guy get rid of the Shelby? :( I didn’t think guys from the Twins Cities were around much on forums outside of TCStangs ;) ahahaha.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
@Hack when guy get rid of the Shelby? :( I didn’t think guys from the Twins Cities were around much on forums outside of TCStangs ;) ahahaha.
I sold it last spring. I really liked that car a lot. I'd like to buy a 2019 or 2020, but right now I don't want to spend the money.

And I really miss TCStangs. There were so many funny people on there.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
The C7 will be more capable, better balance, wider foot print, more aerodynamic, more torque.
Drive them back to back and you will understand. There is a 300-400lb weight difference that is hard to make up, because you can drop weight in the corvette too.

Mustang is a sporty car, but not a sports car. Sports car = lightweight, two seater. Not a 2+2, that would be a GT car. The porsche 911's tip toe that line, but since the rear seat is so fucking small, its considered a sports car. Also, its already light.

If you do not need the rear seats, get the vette. They have a removable hard top which is fucking awesome, and oh yea, the PDR. Ford doesnt have that on any vehicle. This is a great tool to analyze and watch your road course driving.
That would be a roadster. A sportscar, definitely. However, a roadster is not the only sportscar. A sportscar is a car that is made for performance. Pretty sure the Mustang fits that definition. Hell, even the Honda Civic Si fits that definition.

OniVita

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang S550 PP
I would've got a vette if it had rear seats. In the Mustang I go out with my wife and my kid. Me and my kid enjoys the exhaust sound.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Pony car, muscle car - call it what you want - or a sports car if you'd like to think about yourself as a sports car owner.
My insurance classifies my car as a 2-dr sports coupe even though it has back seats.. just saying. Mustangs use to be pony cars, now I would classify the 15+ GT as true sports cars.
Sponsored