Sponsored

Should I not test drive a ‘19 2SS Camaro?

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Might as well test drive them. They are good cars.

I would not consider a 19, as it's hideous, but an 18 would be a far better choice.

I have plenty of seat time in both the SS and the GT on the street and track (17 GTPP and 16 SS). Here are a few of my thoughts.

I prefer the looks of the Mustang, as well as the ergonomics.

The SS out of the gate is better balanced but with squared up tires on the Mustang it was significantly better and the two did not drive too dissimilar (both squared up).

The steering was faster in the Camaro (prefer) and the steering wheel was smaller (didn't care either way).

The LT1 was stronger than the second gen Coyote but they are pretty similar now for the 3rd gen.

The LT1 gave me little confidence as that particular car had several issues including oil leaks, no starts, slow crank, and a miss when cold. I also was present when another SS oil starved in a turn, blew the engine and caught fire on track.

The brakes seemed much better on the Mustang, even though the Camaro had fixed rears.

The fit and finish was a little better on the Camaro overall, but it wasn't much better.
Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
I test drove nearly two dozen cars in the past 18 months, making sure that I wanted my 5th Mustang before the lease on my 16 GT was up. Test drive anything and everything that's at a similar price-range and competes with the Mustang. Know what every alternative is, be informed.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
If the Bullitt is your #1 choice then wait for it. I learned years ago not to take second best just because it was cheaper or more convenient. You probably know that but it's always good to get a reminder.

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
I an not a brand fanboy. I like all types of makes and models. I have a 2015 RAM, a 2015 4Runner, and a 2018 1SS 1LE Camaro that I purchased as a weekend warrior after selling my custom 65 LS powered pro touring Chevelle. I've owned Mustangs, F150s, Chryslers, Mercedes, Infinitis, etc.

Here is my honest opinion. I was dead set on a 2018 Mustang PP2 but was disappointed once the details came out. I wanted a car to take to the road course once in a while and couldn't believe Ford skimped on cooling and etc.

I was also looking at a Corvette Grand Sport. While shopping, I noticed a 1LE Camaro in the showroom and figured I'd take that for a spin since I was there. I never liked the Camaro or any other modern Chevy besides the C7 Vette. However, the 1LE is not your average Camaro. It looks amazing in person and the stance, wheels, fender gaps, and etc. are nearly perfect right from the factory.

Once inside, I was shocked at how nice the interior is. Finally, Chevy had a decent interior. Sure, there are still plastics, but they are much better quality than in the past. The 1LE comes standard with Alcantara wrapped flat bottom steering wheel, shift knob, and Recaro seats that are super supportive and comfortable. The rear seats even in the 1SS are leather. The infotainment system is nice and easy to use as are the digital apps in the gauge cluster.

The 1LE has a ton of cool customizable performance features including oil temp, g force, 0 to 60, lap times and etc. Also standard is the HUD which is also customizable. Pretty darn cool especially with the tach and shift lights. The only option which mine has is PDR which includes a video camera with performance data overlays.

It also comes with an electronic limited slip diff with cooling along with additional engine and trans coolers. Another cool feature is rev match which blips the throttle down shifts and smooths the transition on up shifts. It has launch control and no lift shift. Yup, smash the throttle to the floor and row through the gears without lifting your foot. Lol

As for visibility, it isnt as bad as people say. You get used to it pretty quickly. Just adjust the mirrors correctly and it's fine. Mustang is better, but it's no worse than other sports cars including the Corvette and 911.

The 1LE has 4 driving modes that change the exhaust, steering feel, suspension (mag ride), throttle response, and etc. You can also individually set each to a custom mode. I have my exhaust set to Race in all modes.

Here's where Chevy nails it. The chassis is amazing and is one of the best on the road. They also pioneered magnetic ride suspension and it is fantastic. In tour mode, it drives like a cushy sports sedan. In sport and race modes, you can toss it into a 1 G corner flat with almost zero body roll. Also, you can lap this car all day long without any overheating. It comes with a factory track use supported warranty.

Straight line performance is OK, but not great. It isnt geared for that and 455 hp and 455 tq leaves you wanting more. But, it does sound nasty in a raspy way.

After my test drive, it was clear to me that it felt nearly identical to the Corvette grand sport for 20k less and it has a back seat for my kid. I did some more research and the video review by WRXFan (forgot his name on here) sold me on the 1LE actually.

I ended up finding the exact car I wanted locally and bought it for $41.5k out the door which was almost 12k less than the Mustang I wanted and about 20k less than the Grand Sport.

For a daily driver, mustang is probably easier to live with. For a twisty road, track ho, weekend warrior, 1LE is amazing.

It has its flaws as does the Mustang, but it is an amazing car especially at that price point. This thing can keep up with or beat cars that cost double and triple on a twisty road. It is the only Camaro besides the ZL1 that I would consider.

Anyway, bash away but I get it. It is a Mustang forum after all. ;-) I like the mustang and a ton of other cars which is why i hang around.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I an not a brand fanboy. I like all types of makes and models. I have a 2015 RAM, a 2015 4Runner, and a 2018 1SS 1LE Camaro that I purchased as a weekend warrior after selling my custom 65 LS powered pro touring Chevelle. I've owned Mustangs, F150s, Chryslers, Mercedes, Infinitis, etc.

Here is my honest opinion. I was dead set on a 2018 Mustang PP2 but was disappointed once the details came out. I wanted a car to take to the road course once in a while and couldn't believe Ford skimped on cooling and etc.

I was also looking at a Corvette Grand Sport. While shopping, I noticed a 1LE Camaro in the showroom and figured I'd take that for a spin since I was there. I never liked the Camaro or any other modern Chevy besides the C7 Vette. However, the 1LE is not your average Camaro. It looks amazing in person and the stance, wheels, fender gaps, and etc. are nearly perfect right from the factory.

Once inside, I was shocked at how nice the interior is. Finally, Chevy had a decent interior. Sure, there are still plastics, but they are much better quality than in the past. The 1LE comes standard with Alcantara wrapped flat bottom steering wheel, shift knob, and Recaro seats that are super supportive and comfortable. The rear seats even in the 1SS are leather. The infotainment system is nice and easy to use as are the digital apps in the gauge cluster.

The 1LE has a ton of cool customizable performance features including oil temp, g force, 0 to 60, lap times and etc. Also standard is the HUD which is also customizable. Pretty darn cool especially with the tach and shift lights. The only option which mine has is PDR which includes a video camera with performance data overlays.

It also comes with an electronic limited slip diff with cooling along with additional engine and trans coolers. Another cool feature is rev match which blips the throttle down shifts and smooths the transition on up shifts. It has launch control and no lift shift. Yup, smash the throttle to the floor and row through the gears without lifting your foot. Lol

As for visibility, it isnt as bad as people say. You get used to it pretty quickly. Just adjust the mirrors correctly and it's fine. Mustang is better, but it's no worse than other sports cars including the Corvette and 911.

The 1LE has 4 driving modes that change the exhaust, steering feel, suspension (mag ride), throttle response, and etc. You can also individually set each to a custom mode. I have my exhaust set to Race in all modes.

Here's where Chevy nails it. The chassis is amazing and is one of the best on the road. They also pioneered magnetic ride suspension and it is fantastic. In tour mode, it drives like a cushy sports sedan. In sport and race modes, you can toss it into a 1 G corner flat with almost zero body roll. Also, you can lap this car all day long without any overheating. It comes with a factory track use supported warranty.

Straight line performance is OK, but not great. It isnt geared for that and 455 hp and 455 tq leaves you wanting more. But, it does sound nasty in a raspy way.

After my test drive, it was clear to me that it felt nearly identical to the Corvette grand sport for 20k less and it has a back seat for my kid. I did some more research and the video review by WRXFan (forgot his name on here) sold me on the 1LE actually.

I ended up finding the exact car I wanted locally and bought it for $41.5k out the door which was almost 12k less than the Mustang I wanted and about 20k less than the Grand Sport.

For a daily driver, mustang is probably easier to live with. For a twisty road, track ho, weekend warrior, 1LE is amazing.

It has its flaws as does the Mustang, but it is an amazing car especially at that price point. This thing can keep up with or beat cars that cost double and triple on a twisty road. It is the only Camaro besides the ZL1 that I would consider.

Anyway, bash away but I get it. It is a Mustang forum after all. ;-) I like the mustang and a ton of other cars which is why i hang around.

I remember when you bought your Camaro.
Now all you have to do, is take a Mustang GT PP2 for a ride and let us know what you think.

It is too bad you couldn't get a Mustang GTPP2 for $41k.. like you did with the 1LE.

Sponsored

OP
OP
airfuel

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt

Thanks, nice reply!

How is the ride on the 1LE?
This will be my fun car and I will keep my trusty Tacoma for winter and work stuff.

I'm waiting to see if I can actually get my Bullitt, (still my first choice).... if not maybe Camaro after I do a test ride soon.

Tough decisions for sure!

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
I would test drive the SS. In fact, I would cancel the bullit order immediately if you're even remotely leaning that way. The bullit is for people that care about the heritage of the bullit. It's performance is not going to separate it significantly, especially for the price. If you're not 100% on it, you will regret it later.

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, nice reply!

How is the ride on the 1LE?
This will be my fun car and I will keep my trusty Tacoma for winter and work stuff.

I'm waiting to see if I can actually get my Bullitt, (still my first choice).... if not maybe Camaro after I do a test ride soon.

Tough decisions for sure!
The ride is great especially considering the handling and G forces it pulls in the corners. In tour mode, it wont bust your kidneys and rides smooth and almost plush. In Sport it tightens up but still wont losen your fillings. However, race mode is meant for the track and it is rough on the streets. The car sounds great too especially when the exhaust is set to race mode. However, the 2018 GT sounds better.

The 1LE also has 6 piston brembos up front and 4 piston brembos out back. You can give yourself whiplash if your not careful. Lol I like many others changed the pads because the race compound pads cover the car with dust. You can change pads in about 20 minutes if headed to the track.

The 1SS 1LE with PDR (the only option) stickers for $46k but you can get them under $40k. Not sure about the 2019s, but the refreshed front and rear facias are hideous. Chevy totally screwed the pooch on that. You can still find the 2018s on the lots but ordering has stopped.

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely test drive one but dont waste your time on a regular SS. They're fine, but for chump change you can have a 1LE which is more rare and handles like a super car when you want it to.

I test drove a 2017 GT, 2018 Corvette GS, and a Challenger 392 T/A. Was about to take the plunge on the Grand Sport until I saw the 1LE which i had totally forgotten about. It drove just like the Grand Sport but had a small back seat and was 24 grand less. Lol I occasionally track my cars and that is what the 1LE is built for.

The 1SS has pretty much everything but if you want a slightly better interior with more leather and bit more luxurious feel and a few more gadgets and creature comforts like heated and cooled seats, dual zone CC, and etc. they also have a 2SS 1LE which is similar to the GT's 401A package and still comes in under $50k. Keep in mind that 1SS in a non 1LE has cloth seats but 1SS in 1LE trim gets you leather, Alcantara, HUD, drive modes, customizable performance apps, etc...

Also, you wont have to dump extra cash into lowering springs because the stance is great right out of the box. The pre 2018s had bigger gaps, but they dropped it down for 2018 and offer spring changes for pre 2018 cars as a TSB.

Anyway, dont rely on opinions, go drive the cars and pick what you like best.
20180808_230150.jpg

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Definitely test drive one but dont waste your time on a regular SS. They're fine, but for chump change you can have a 1LE which is more rare and handles like a super car when you want it to.

I test drove a 2017 GT, 2018 Corvette GS, and a Challenger 392 T/A. Was about to take the plunge on the Grand Sport until I saw the 1LE which i had totally forgotten about. It drove just like the Grand Sport but had a small back seat and was 24 grand less. Lol I occasionally track my cars and that is what the 1LE is built for.

The 1SS has pretty much everything but if you want a slightly better interior with more leather and bit more luxurious feel and a few more gadgets and creature comforts like heated and cooled seats, dual zone CC, and etc. they also have a 2SS 1LE which is similar to the GT's 401A package and still comes in under $50k. Keep in mind that 1SS in a non 1LE has cloth seats but 1SS in 1LE trim gets you leather, Alcantara, HUD, drive modes, customizable performance apps, etc...

Also, you wont have to dump extra cash into lowering springs because the stance is great right out of the box. The pre 2018s had bigger gaps, but they dropped it down for 2018 and offer spring changes for pre 2018 cars as a TSB.

Anyway, dont rely on opinions, go drive the cars and pick what you like best.
20180808_230150.jpg
I completely agree with what Cgocifer is saying on the SS 1LE ride. The various modes make a difference. I won’t run Track or Race on the street (Michigan). It’s too stiff. Touring is great. Sport is doable.

As far as ride height, I’m not sure where his information comes from. 2017 ZL1’s had a TSB on the springs. I’ve not heard or seen of this with the SS 1LE. However, brand new, the SS 1LE does not look as low as it should. The springs do settle in and will do so quicker if you track the car. Even the non-1LE cars are like this. Other cars, even Mustangs, are like this. I would caution the GT PP2 guys to NOT change to lowering springs right away, and to let the car settle in a little, before making that decision.

Anyway, the SS 1LE is about as low as I’d go on the street.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Now that is the smartest thing you've said.

13_FST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus ST
Good topic. I'm also on the fence b/w a 2SS 1LE or a Bullitt. Price-wise, Bullit is a bit more expensive but I'm waiting for the Bullitts to land at my dealer to test-drive, before I decide.

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
I completely agree with what Cgocifer is saying on the SS 1LE ride. The various modes make a difference. I won’t run Track or Race on the street (Michigan). It’s too stiff. Touring is great. Sport is doable.

As far as ride height, I’m not sure where his information comes from. 2017 ZL1’s had a TSB on the springs. I’ve not heard or seen of this with the SS 1LE. However, brand new, the SS 1LE does not look as low as it should. The springs do settle in and will do so quicker if you track the car. Even the non-1LE cars are like this. Other cars, even Mustangs, are like this. I would caution the GT PP2 guys to NOT change to lowering springs right away, and to let the car settle in a little, before making that decision.

Anyway, the SS 1LE is about as low as I’d go on the street.
When I first got my 1LE, I didn't think there was much difference between tour / sport / track modes. Probably because I was used to my big wallowy Xterra. After getting some miles in and a better feel for the car I'm pretty amazed at the big difference it actually makes. Tour mode is pretty dang comfy, while track will stiffen right up and you'll be able to feel that penny on the road.

Also agree with the ride height. Really wish it was just 1/2" lower. I'm tempted to try the YYZ springs but I need to get it out on the track first.
Sponsored