Sponsored

Should I not test drive a ‘19 2SS Camaro?

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Will I be impressed with the off idle torque that makes cars feel fast?
Will I be in love with the manual tranny? (no auto please)
Will I hate the interior and blind spots?
What about handling?

I am being messed around with my Bullitt order and I am looking over the fence......do I see green grass there?
And yes, I think the new styling is better than the old one. (But the Mustang is well, a Mustang!)
Sponsored

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
If you test drive one you will be driving one. The car offers supercar level of performance for less money than a Mustang. Also don't have to worry about the death rattle or other engine noises with the Camaro that all the 2018+ GTs have.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
You're gonna hate the blind spots, the A/C vents are weird, and the engine won't be as rewarding up top. I think it sounds better inside, but doesn't sound as good outside so that's a big subjective call.

The torque down low is lovely, it makes the car feel more fun around town since you don't need to wind it out. This is especially true with the 18+ as they for some reason lengthened the gears in the manual. The manual gearbox is better as well, gotta love Tremec. The car will handle better as well.

Both vehicles have their issues though with reliability. Camaro has diff problems I believe, 18+ Mustang has engine and trans. Pick your poison.

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
If you test drive one you will be driving one. The car offers supercar level of performance for less money than a Mustang. Also don't have to worry about the death rattle or other engine noises with the Camaro that all the 2018+ GTs have.
But you will absolutely feel like you are in something that costs less money.

I don't see why there wouldn't be a reason to go test drive something you are interested in. I recently drove a friend's newly purchased 16 2SS, and while it was definitely fun to drive with the more noticeable lower end torque, and IMO much more solid shifting and easier to use clutch, the whole of its interior design felt like after-thoughts or half-measures to cram as much stuff as they could into a space that was not designed with any of it in mind. They look and feel quite cheapened in comparison to a 18+ 201A/401A car.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
What about handling?

I am being messed around with my Bullitt order and I am looking over the fence......do I see green grass there?
And yes, I think the new styling is better than the old one. (But the Mustang is well, a Mustang!)
You will enjoy the car. It handles very well and the low end torque is a plus. The dash and center pod are less dated and the idiots who talk about the 'downward" angle of the control center are clueless as well as comments on the air vents. which push more volume. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my new Mustang, but I also miss my Camaro.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It'll just look like you're waving to the world.

To the OP, absolutely drive the Camaro! Don't miss the chance to compare. It's a win win situation. Either you drive out with a fast car, or leave knowing that you made the right choice with the Bullitt. You aren't going to hurt anyone's feelings if you go with the Camaro...they are great cars.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
For sure go test it out.

I never got out of the dealer parking lot before I knew it was not for me.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Go drive one. If you like it. Buy it.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
What about handling?

Is this a troll post or are you serious? And are we to give troll answers or serious answers? If you have a Bullitt on order then I doubt you're actually considering a Camaro. But I'll bite.

Off idle torque. Yes you will like it. It doesn't make the car "feel" fast. It makes the car fast. The SS is a fast car as we have seen since 2016. If torque and off idle stuff is your thing then I have no idea why you ordered a Bullitt anyway. But if your preference is engines that have a hard top end pull and can rev to Saturn then the Bullitt is for you. Two cars that make power in two completely different ways. Figure out which one you prefer, test drive them both, and make a decision from there.

Manual trans. I don't know if there are any issues related to the manual trans on either of these cars. So that question is a wash.

Interior and blind spots. Go test drive it. If it is something you can live with then go for it. If not then don't.

Handling. If handling is what you're after then the SS 1LE, GT350, GT350R, or the GT PP2 should be what you're considering. Or get a base model and hit the aftermarket. It does seem like the Bullitt will be slightly upgraded over the PP1 tho. So that might be enough to get your rocks off. But you would have to see for yourself.

Overall I would say no, don't get the Camaro. You have a Bullitt on order so wait for that. Or hold off until the GT500 arrives. Or cancel your order and get a Shelby. That is your best bet. Personally I would get a Shelby if you can find one at MSRP.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Do you like the 2019 SS front end?

OP
OP
airfuel

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Is this a troll post or are you serious? And are we to give troll answers or serious answers? If you have a Bullitt on order then I doubt you're actually considering a Camaro. But I'll bite.
No troll, I promise you.
I am currently going through a second mid life crisis, (motorcycles were my first) and I want a V8, stick shift and rear wheel drive to do burnouts.
I grew up in a Ford family and the Mustang just cought my eye.
The Bullitt is still my number one choice but it might not happen. (See my other thread on how binding are purchase orders)

I have driven a few euro V8’s (Audi S4 and BMW) fast cars but no low end. My older biturbo S4 was low end torque biased and was fun.

Yes, low end torque is great, probably better in New England as not much high speed action vs point and squirt action.
No track days so no need for pp2, 1le, or GT350 with harsh rides.
I have done over 60 track days on super sport liter bikes so my need for thrills has been scratched very well!

I will be driving the Camaro soon and I will report back.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
No troll, I promise you.
I am currently going through a second mid life crisis, (motorcycles were my first) and I want a V8, stick shift and rear wheel drive to do burnouts.
I grew up in a Ford family and the Mustang just cought my eye.
The Bullitt is still my number one choice but it might not happen. (See my other thread on how binding are purchase orders)

I have driven a few euro V8’s (Audi S4 and BMW) fast cars but no low end. My older biturbo S4 was low end torque biased and was fun.

Yes, low end torque is great, probably better in New England as not much high speed action vs point and squirt action.
No track days so no need for pp2, 1le, or GT350 with harsh rides.
I have done over 60 track days on super sport liter bikes so my need for thrills has been scratched very well!

I will be driving the Camaro soon and I will report back.
Well if that is the case then the Camaro might be a good alternative choice for you if the Bullitt deal falls thru or if you can cancel the order. If the SS 1LE and Shelbys are out of the picture due to the harsh ride, then at the price of the Bullitt you are right at the price of a used C7 or used ZL1. I've seen both in the low 50s. Even some used Z06s are in the 50 range. So those are other options.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
1.Will I be impressed with the off idle torque that makes cars feel fast?
2.Will I be in love with the manual tranny? (no auto please)
3.Will I hate the interior and blind spots?
4.What about handling?

I’ll answer this from of the perspective of first being a Mustang guy, switching to a Camaro (6th Gen), considering going back to Mustang (2019) and deciding to stay with Camaro. I’ve driven a wide range of 2018 GT’s on long test drives and I’ve driven various S550s on and off the track.

1. Yes. The LT1 feels like a completely different V8 - the low and mid-range power is significant over the 5.0L. The Gen 3 (2018+) 5.0L closes the gap, but the power delivery is 100% different.
2. Most likely. The MT82D4 is much nicer in feel than the previous MT82’s. Ford made some nice improvements. However, the TR6060 is just a fantastic transmission. The shifts feel just as good as the MT82D4, but you don’t have to worry about breaking it. Tip: if ordering, option for the short throw shifter - the throws are perfectly matched for the car. The regular shifter is fine, but I think just a touch long.
3. Maybe? With the interior, we’re talking styling. We’re talking art. This is personal. Mustang = retro with modern cues. Camaro = modern with retro cues. In respect to blind spots, the view is not as good as the Mustang. Forward and side view is fine, but rear view, due to the short sloped rear and oddly high shelf behind the passenger seats hinders view. The main seats have a wide range of elevation adjustment. Very doable, but does take some getting used to.
4. Camaro sides more on a sporty ride. The regular (non-MRC) dampers are well tuned for street and performance, where Mustangs compromise a lot for street comfort, even in PP1 trim. If you want the best of both worlds, get MRC. For the Camaro, the touring setting, and even sport setting, is plenty comfortable on the street, yet well controlled for sporty maneuvers. Track will get stiffer and more controlled, but surprisingly not as harsh as you’d think. The Mustangs MRC follows suit to my previous comment: the tuning seems to side more on comfort for the street. I didn’t notice much difference between the modes driving on the same roads as I drove a Camaro with MRC (2SS). Still, well controlled though. However, I’m hearing many 2019 Mustang guys, who drove 2018’s, say they can feel a noticeable difference between modes. So, maybe there was some adjustment.

Both are nice cars. Both are different animals that come from a similar lineage.

Feel free to ask any option questions or tips/things to know.

OP
OP
airfuel

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
^^^^^^ Great post Mountain376. Thanks!
Sponsored