Should i go backwards in Transmissions? Auto To Manual

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by Trooper_S550, Jun 14, 2019 at 4:11 PM.

1. Trooper_S550

Trooper_S550 Member

First Name:
    Oscar
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang 5.0
    0   0   0
    Don't bash me to hard but....

I have a 2018 Mustang GT 10 speed auto I purchased 8 months ago (Owe 28K) and I am really wanting to go back to a manual transmission. I do not track the car and it is a daily driver with spirited driving here and there. I am looking at possibly trading it in for a 2019 Mustang GT 6 speed manual but i will only get 26-27K for trade in so ill be taking a little bit of a loss. Should i just wait and get the manual in the next redesign or...? Anybody go auto to manual in these gens?

2. blackyote_317

blackyote_317 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT
    0   0   0
    Probably not the best financial decision but if you really want a manual and can swing it, go for it. Or maybe look into a nice 15-17 as the mt-82 ratios are better.

BmacIL likes this.
  3. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
    Gov
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0

are you saying 15-17 manuals have a different gearing ratio than 18+ manuals? what's the difference in driving feel like.

4. blackyote_317

blackyote_317 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT
    0   0   0
    Yeah I don't know the exact gearing specs off the top of my head but 4th is the 1:1 in 18+ so it has 2 overdrive gears. 5th is the 1:1 in 15-17. Basically there is just a bigger jump between gears in the 18+.

5. Interceptor

Interceptor Daily Driver

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Eco boost manual 202A
    0   0   0
    Manuals may not be available in new generation Mustang.

6. Silver Bullitt

Silver Bullitt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Coupe PP2
    0   0   0
    Yes, the 18+ MT82-D4 is 1:1 in 4th. Pre-18 MT82 is 1:1 in 5th. I have driven a '16, but not enough to really notice other than, to me at least, 1st gear seems almost useless in the MT82. The 18+ Gen 3 makes more HP and torque than the Gen 2 stock, so that is a bit of an offset. A number have complained about the 18+ gearing, but since I don't really have much to compare to, I don't mind the MT82-D4 at all. Here's a comparison of the two.

full.png

stanglitt likes this.
  7. Silver Bullitt

Silver Bullitt Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Coupe PP2
    0   0   0
    I actually find 5th gear in the MT82-D4 to be a great highway gear. You can run 70-80 mph in 5th with plenty of passing power without the higher revs at 1:1. I pretty much only use 6th if I'm cruising on the interstate at 80+. I've only tracked my car once. That seems to be where most of the complaints come from which is understandable.

Ghost50 likes this.
  8. boB

boB Well-Known Member

First Name:
    boB
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT
    0   0   0
    The lower (numerical) 1st gear is a way to make the xmsn stronger, which may have been necessary due to the more powerful engine. 3.24:1 means the smaller gear in the set is larger (and stronger) than with 3.66. GM's T-56 did this from 1993 to 1994 to raise the xmsn rating from 350 lb*ft to 450, making up for it with a higher (numerical) axle ratio.

PP1 has the 3.73 axle so that helps, I have no complaints about the 2019 MT-82 ratios (except I can't wind it out in 3rd without risking going to jail).

9. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    This. You need a 4.09 or shorter rear end to get similar feel and top speeds per gear as a 15-17 w/ 3.73. Major bummer on the 2018+ cars. Also the older trans is more robust.

stanglitt and Ghost50 like this.
  10. Shane361

Shane361 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Shane
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Competition Orange GT
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    It really depends on your desires. On my 6th Mustang and have owned 2 five speeds, 2 autos, and 2 6 speeds. My current is a 15 supercharged auto. I hurt my knee when stationed in the Middle East and my shoulder when I wrecked my bike at 80mph. It literally hurt to drive my 11 5.0 6 speed. Manuals are more fun, no denying that. I'm torn on my next purchase because my Mustang is not a daily and I think I would enjoy a manual again. But as previously mentioned manuals look to be headed into the history books. Do what makes you happy.

11. Bullitt0819

Bullitt0819 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Bullitt Mustang
    Retired Software Engineer
    0   0   0
    Details? All I've heard/read says Ford addressed the shortcomings--fragile shift forks, for instance--of the older MT-82 in the newer ones.

Also, are saying you prefer a lower top speed with a shorter rear-end ratio? 'Shorter' rear-ends = better acceleration but lower top speed (in any gear); 'taller' rear-ends = slower acceleration but higher top speeds (theoretically--aerodynamics--i.e. drag--come more into play at higher speeds).

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm...ct_id=398/category_id=13/mode=prod/prd398.htm

I believe all base Mustangs come with a taller rear-end; i.e. a 3.5 IIRC. PP1 and Bullitts come with a 3.73 but the Bullitts, at least, I believe have a higher redline to compensate.

Or did I just misinterpret your statement?

12. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Garage Profiles:
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Nothing you said is incorrect, but the details are in the applicability. In town and on the track, having the extra tall final drive, trans + rear end gear, of the 2018 manual (especially with 3.31 or 3.55), is notably detrimental for fun. Despite the horsepower increase and redline increase, it still is handicapped by a too-tall set of ratios for the Coyote engine. With the 3.73 axle it's at least similar to the 15-17 w/ 3.31, which isn't bad, but still lacks the fun/punchiness in town and is less optimal for the track.

Simply put, if OP is looking to get back into a manual for the aspect of fun and involvement, he ought to consider a 15-17 or at least a rear end swap.

On the MT82-D4, yes they addressed the infant failure issues for the aluminum forks, but they are still not as robust as the steel they replaced. Depending on how you drive/intended mods, this is something to keep in mind.

13. zero_chance

zero_chance Dismember

First Name:
    JD
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT Premium w/ Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    I swapped from AODE to T5 with my last car, but that was when autos were garbage. If you did end up doing the swap, post the A10 on here, pretty sure there’s a market for them for people that are trying to go the opposite way once US shift completes their auto controller for it.

14. shogun32

shogun32 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT+PP, EB+PP, SS+1LE, GTI Rabbit
    0   0   0
    Manual is 'backwards'? I find the Ford 10AT is be incredibly annoying - I couldn't get out of that car fast enough. The Camaro SS 10 speed is FAR less objectionable - ignoring the retarded 4cyl-8cyl-4cyl transition that can beat up the trans - if they ever fix that.

I drove a '14 GT, '14 V6, '17 V6 and liked them well enough. The 3.73 on the '19 GT is just too damn short for non-drag race, or I guess autoXcross. Unless I'm droning along on open roads, I don't shift the GT or EB past 5th anyway. When I had the V6 I used 6th gear a lot more - which makes sense. And the Camaro SS practically never sees 6th because of it's ratios (2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 0.74 0.50)

15. zero_chance

zero_chance Dismember

First Name:
    JD
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I think in the sense that the A10’s are the quicker option available. I personally think it’s an outstanding trans all of the times I’ve been in one. Like any modern automatic, it’s going to depend on its learning strategy and the initial programming.

16. IronG

IronG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    Not really sure where some of the reply's are going, but if you want a manual just get one. Not sure why you would ask about it the way you did here as you can see the majority of the responses are not really helpful. For me, I would not get an A10 Mustang unless I was going to make it primarily a drag car (which it does great), drove in excruciating traffic 90% of the time or have some type of medical reason for not being able to drive one. So really it just comes down to if you want to drive a manual or as well as buy new or used. IMHO, for a daily driver and 100% non-track car, any iteration of model year will give you want you want....a manual that will put a smile on your face every time you wring out the gears.

17. zero_chance

zero_chance Dismember

First Name:
    JD
    Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    90 percent of the posts on here are questions that have no place being asked since they are questions only the OP can answer. Instead of questioning it, provide some insight or move along.

18. FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Donald
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
    Gov
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Throwing this out there. I just copy pasted my post from elsewhere so ignore not being tailored to this.

I did not like my 17’s 6 speed very much until I installed 2 things.

Steeda clutch spring, and Barton hybrid 3 short throw shifter (I body mounted)

Isn’t even comparable, it was ok to drive wasn’t happy with it in anyway, but now I love it,

the spring is 100x better and the transmission shifts like butter vs notchy before, smaller shifts and shorter height. Nice for me, having low armrest.

BmacIL likes this.
  19. IronG

IronG Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT PP2
    0   0   0
    Thanks for pretty much repeating what I said. Maybe if you read what I said you would see I added some insight. Maybe you need to move along?

20. Labradog

Labradog Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
    0   0   0
    That's a lot of money to owe on a car you're trading in so quickly. Are you in a place financially where you can do it? I made the opposite move (manual to auto), but the advantage you have in Texas is you're only going to pay the sales tax difference between the new car and your trade in. I'd spend some good seat time in whatever you think your going to buy before taking the hit.