Sponsored

Should I get New 2019 EB PP1 101A or just settle with used 2018?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost (Premium Plus, Perf. Pack, Ruby Red)
Given some unfortunate circumstances involving my previous car (Lexus IS350), I have to get a new car within the next two weeks. Affordability is limited, sadly, so we won't be discussing the GT unless someone knows how to get a good one under 30K in the California Bay Area.

Right now I'm pitching the following to dealers: 2019 Ecoboost Mustang with the following:
- Performance Pack (must have)
- 101A (I need comfy seats, since I'm big and tall, and the lumbar support would help). 201A (Premium) is okay as well, but unnecessary.
- Kona Blue (I'd settle with Velocity Blue, but prefer Kona)
- Magna-ride (NOBODY in the Bay Area seems to have an EB with Magnaride, for some reason).

Unless Ford Finance hits me with a damn good lease deal or 0% APR for 60 months, I plan to use a loan from credit unions. But... with all that said... would it even be worth it to try and get the 2019? I originally wanted to wait till fall to get the 2020 Ecoboost, but since circumstances don't permit, I have to settle.

I'm wondering if I'd be better off getting a used/CPO 2018, since some of them can be had for like 21K (I refuse to pay over 30K and already got an offer for the topic title'd one for 29K). I DO plan to add suspension modifications, better tires (Pilot Sport 4s or Super Sports if I can find them) and better brakes/power over time, but yeah (Lexus was hell to upgrade - an LSD costs 1500 bucks minus, nuts!)

If folks do recommend used, keep in mind that I can only have major work done at shops. Back problems prevent me from stooping and such longer than it takes to change air filters and the like (changing spark plugs had me doubled over in pain on the Lexus). As for driving? Well, no "plans" to track, but I do enjoy a spirited mountain drive every now and then. The IS350 was surprisingly good at it - kept up and outpaced various BRZ/FRSs, MR2s, etc.
Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Going used will allow you to get more car for your money. Likely to be plenty of lightly used EB from people who moved up to GTs. You can also avoid taking the hit on new car depreciation by buying used. That said, sometimes financing can more attractive through lower rates when you buy new. Also, if your flexible on color and up for a road trip a quick search on cargurus yielded a number of 2018+ gt mustang with performance package for sale under 30k.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I’d get a slightly used GT.

Don’t make a mistake like I did in 2015 when I bought my 15’ EB PP and 5 months later traded it for a 15’ GT.

The EB was a good car but I never did like the exhaust note. I thought I would be happy with the 4 cyl Mustang but deep down I really wanted the V8. I wish I had gotten it in the first place and didn’t lose the money I did trading cars so quickly.

Good luck to what ever car you choose. Post pictures once you get it.

OP
OP
dittydefinitive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
Going used will allow you to get more car for your money. Likely to be plenty of lightly used EB from people who moved up to GTs. You can also avoid taking the hit on new car depreciation by buying used. That said, sometimes financing can more attractive through lower rates when you buy new. Also, if your flexible on color and up for a road trip a quick search on cargurus yielded a number of 2018+ gt mustang with performance package for sale under 30k.
Hold on... on CarGurus? I was checking AutoTrader, but alright I'll look at more places. My issue with the GT was the amount of weight and fuel consumption, which I figured for the sort of driving I do and the car I had before (the IS350) was kinda overkill. I will look, but power-wise, I'm not sure I'll need nor want a V8 for the twisties. I mean, it is still fantastic though, so I will look, but yeah. Were your searches in the bay area?

I’d get a slightly used GT.

Don’t make a mistake like I did in 2015 when I bought my 15’ EB PP and 5 months later traded it for a 15’ GT.

The EB was a good car but I never did like the exhaust note. I thought I would be happy with the 4 cyl Mustang but deep down I really wanted the V8. I wish I had gotten it in the first place and didn’t lose the money I did trading cars so quickly.

Good luck to what ever car you choose. Post pictures once you get it.
Thanks, I will. As far as sound and exhaust note. That said I appreciate the information.

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Time pressure does not favor you as the buyer. Patience is what matters. Let some other schlub take the depreciation hit of driving a new car off the lot. If you "need" a "new" car "now" go buy (or rent, ffs) a Toyota Celica or whatever until you have your financial feet under you. Do your research and buy a used machine somewhere in the US - CarGurus is your friend - and get what you really want at a price that makes sense to you.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
I was searching nationwide because i was searching specifically for used 18+ with performance pack and didn't expect to get many hits

OP
OP
dittydefinitive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
Time pressure does not favor you as the buyer. Patience is what matters. Let some other schlub take the depreciation hit of driving a new car off the lot. If you "need" a "new" car "now" go buy (or rent, ffs) a Toyota Celica or whatever until you have your financial feet under you. Do your research and buy a used machine somewhere in the US - CarGurus is your friend - and get what you really want at a price that makes sense to you.
I know. The time pressure is more-so in regards to two things: a) the fact that I originally planned to get the Mustang EB 2020 next year and b) the recent "event" removed my current car, which makes me car-less. I'll have enough money to purchase either new or used, but just not enough for something new-grandiose like a GT (which while I could technically afford, I wouldn't see it as worth it considering the type of driving I want to do). I do appreciate your advice though, and it sounds like I would be better suited to go with a used 2018 and just do upgrades on my own (since upgrades will be naturally cheaper and more plentiful than the Lexus IS).

Wouldn't touch a Celica though - not enough room and I can't do FWD anymore. Like its fun but... I dunno. I used to own a small FWD car and after moving to a RWD car its like, I'm sold.

Memphisraines

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2013 Caddilac ATS
Trust the advice given. I have to ask have you driven both, the EB is a fine car but you can find slightly used GT’s with the PP in your price range if you look and are willing to travel. Airline tickets are cheap. Personally I’ll fly almost anywhere and drive back a good deal if it’s exactly what I want and I’m looking for at what I want to pay. You will be modding the EB and spending money to not even come close to what the GT puts out stock and could likely spend more money doing so. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
dittydefinitive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
Trust the advice given. I have to ask have you driven both, the EB is a fine car but you can find slightly used GT’s with the PP in your price range if you look and are willing to travel. Airline tickets are cheap. Personally I’ll fly almost anywhere and drive back a good deal if it’s exactly what I want and I’m looking for at what I want to pay. You will be modding the EB and spending money to not even come close to what the GT puts out stock and could likely spend more money doing so. Just my 2 cents.
1. I have not driven either, but I have sat in the ecoboost. Legroom for days if I tilt the seat back an inch, which I liked. I told the dealerships Im talking to that I must be able to take the car for a drive overnight to make sure I can sit comfortably for an hour or so (I sat in a Chrysler 300 for a weekend and despite it being roomy, it put my leg in a cramped position).

2. I never considered travelling for a GT, but alright. Keep in mind that its Bay Area gas prices though - would a GT be worth it considering that the Ecoboost is already a step up from the V6 I am used to with the IS350? I've read that the Ecoboost can (and is designed) to take both 87 and 93 (91 in this state) octane gas - does the GT do that as well?

I'm not averse to a GT, its just I don't want a barebones GT regardless of cost - it must have at least a performance pack and either the 201A or some such. I'm not paying to take a driver's seat out and replace it, or a center console. The IS350 was a problem because nobody made kits to replace the center console except for a few folks, and not only was it risky, it cost like 300 bucks for a setup (not including labor) and the driver had to provide their own multimedia device.

Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I know. The time pressure is more-so in regards to two things: a) the fact that I originally planned to get the Mustang EB 2020 next year
There is always another model year. ;-)
Wouldn't touch a Celica though - not enough room and I can't do FWD anymore.
Amen, brother. Then again... I've driven more than my fair share of Honda Civics over many these years because they're cheap transportation. Drive like no one else... so that later you can drive like no one else.
I'll have enough money to purchase either new or used, but just not enough for something new-grandiose like a GT (which while I could technically afford, I wouldn't see it as worth it considering the type of driving I want to do). I do appreciate your advice though, and it sounds like I would be better suited to go with a used 2018 and just do upgrades on my own (since upgrades will be naturally cheaper and more plentiful than the Lexus IS).
Okay, but just remember, "afford" doesn't mean you can pay the payments with the income you might happen to have right now. "Afford" means you can pay for it, in cash, twice. (Except maybe in the case of a house.) Get that GT and start modding! Vroom vroom!

Faceme

MOCJ JAPAN
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, Jeep Patriot limited
If you have 1000% confidence you will have no buyers remorse with a 4cyl stang. get the 4cyl. If i were in your shoes, i would just get a shitty car and save up until i have wiggle room for a used gt.

Memphisraines

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2013 Caddilac ATS
Like I said the EB is a fine car. But I would highly suggest you drive both. My Younger brother had an EB and when my fiancé bought her 17 PP GT which I inherited after I traded my Scat Pack Challenger on a new Jeep Grand Cherokee for her he wished he had waited and bought the GT or purchased a slightly used one. As for fuel you can run 87 in the GT if you so choose if memory serves me correctly is it optimal well that’s debatable but you can. The car runs fine on 91 and there are plenty of aftermarket performance 91 tunes also. And as far as fuel mileage goes if your not driving at 10/10 tenths like your hair is on fire the GT will return good fuel mileage. You could get everything you want in a slightly used GT and be exponentially happier in the long run and not have to mod (until the moar power gremlin creeps up) then you will with a EB. I understand time is an issue but with carguru.com and autotrmpest.com you can find one in your price range with the options you want. Take a minute and look around you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
dittydefinitive
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
I have no idea where y'all are finding these 2018 Mustang GTs with performance packs and 201A options for 30K or near that.

I've checked autotrader, car gurus, autotempthingy, etc., its all like, the vehicles are either missing some of the options or they're missing some options and happen to be convertibles (no convertibles).

Still appreciating the advice though. Just remember however:
- Must come with the Performance Pack already
- Must have either the 101A/201A or Premium (for the power seats, Sync 3, etc.)
- Some variant of Kona or Velocity blue. Magnetic is nice but I plan to have this car for a while.

Devil5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Get a low mileage 2017 gt for around or under 30k
Sponsored