Sponsored

Should I get a car cover or better off without?

Alolsen2012

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 premium
I am about to move to a new apartment where I will, unfortunately, lose my garage parking and My car will stay outside. My new appt has fair amount of trees, so while providing some shade it obviously will make my car filthy from the debris. I am wondering if I should get a car cover to put on my car when I am not using. I have a motorcycle which I use for 80% of my commuting so I only drive the mustang around 2 times a week so I am not concerned with the car cover being a pain to put on and off. My main concern is I have heard that if the car is not clean it can scratch the paint (which it wont be everytime i cover). So basically I am wondering if I am better off leaving it outside and dealing with the sun/rain/tree debris, or should i cover it when i am not using it and hope my paint turns out fine (Paint is swirled/ normal wear, doesn't have to stay PERFECT, just don't wanna create irreversible/noticeable damage).
Sponsored

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
Get a locking cover. Helps protect it greatly. Sap bird droppings uv exposed to the interior. Weatherproof one is worth the additional cost

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
It’s funny that you ask that. I am about to purchase one to put on while I am at work. Believe it or not there is a sawmill very nearby where I work and the debris that fly through the air will cover my car in one day after working so hard on it on the weekend. It’s really starting to piss me off and me getting an easy car cover that won’t scratch my paint to put on when I arrive at work in the morning is going to work wonders. I would get one absolutely if I were you.

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
I've been debating one of these myself. The one that the car came with somehow seems underrated.

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
With your circumstances I would definitely use a cover. I’ve been very happy with the covercraft covers over the years. If it was a daily driver I would say no.

Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
I would go without. Taking it off/putting it on even twice a week is going to introduce scratches and swirls eventually unless the paint and inside of the cover are always perfectly clean, which they won't be.

jblue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2021 Twister Orange GT Premium 401A Ebony Stripes
I am about to move to a new apartment where I will, unfortunately, lose my garage parking and My car will stay outside. My new appt has fair amount of trees, so while providing some shade it obviously will make my car filthy from the debris. I am wondering if I should get a car cover to put on my car when I am not using. I have a motorcycle which I use for 80% of my commuting so I only drive the mustang around 2 times a week so I am not concerned with the car cover being a pain to put on and off. My main concern is I have heard that if the car is not clean it can scratch the paint (which it wont be everytime i cover). So basically I am wondering if I am better off leaving it outside and dealing with the sun/rain/tree debris, or should i cover it when i am not using it and hope my paint turns out fine (Paint is swirled/ normal wear, doesn't have to stay PERFECT, just don't wanna create irreversible/noticeable damage).
I've used car covers before, and they do make some good ones for all different kinds of purposes. However, your car does need to be clean before you put it on, because if it isn't, all that dirt/debris, will get on the inside of the cover each time you use it, so you will have a dirty car cover covering your car with whatever was on it before. I used to use a California duster before installing the cover. Just something for you to think about.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I would go without. Taking it off/putting it on even twice a week is going to introduce scratches and swirls eventually unless the paint and inside of the cover are always perfectly clean, which they won't be.
I was thinking the same thing. I just want to make sure that I do it carefully every morning so I don’t scratch the car and I’ve had my car since December 2018 and I have kept it premium. This should only help me.

Gnatsum21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former: GT 21 Roush Twister Orange RIP | ECO 2016
Some communities don't even allow car covers. No joke.

JeffD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible
I was just looking at covers for the Mustang. It is in the garage at home, but outside all day at work. I used to cover my Miata at work, but the cover was the size of a dinner napkin, so it was pretty easy. I probably won't bother with the Mustang. In general, I am a cover guy. I keep both my fifth wheel trailer and F250 covered. It undeniably introduces some scratching but dramatically reduces UV damage. That is especially critical with the trailer as the gelcoat and vinyl decals are very susceptible to UV damage. I guess you have to pick your poison. The truck and trailer are both 2019 models and I receive regular compliments on how both look virtually new in spite of the fact that each is outside 100% of the time.
Sponsored