Sponsored

Should I buy a 2022 Mustang Convertible?

OP
OP

Doylum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Skoda Fabia
Bit of a newbie to Mustang ownership here (3 weeks!) but there only was one choice for me! A convertible!
With the hood on modern convertibles being so well insulated you really do get the best of both worlds and if you really looking for no compromise handling and lap times you should be looking at GT3 RS or Radicals etc!
I might be a little biased with convertibles though as have got a 840d cabriolet and F430
Spider! :)

What colour car you go for OP?
Hi,

I went for the Cyber Orange. Manual with Magna ride and upgraded sound system.
Sponsored

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Anybody even suggesting that less rigidity is a reason not to buy the GT convertible really needs to have a word with themselves. Over on the m forum people stating having a sunroof was some sort of disaster in terms of handling impact, Jesus give it a rest. They aren't track cars for 99.9% of us and the GT with or without a roof will always be let's say interesting at times in its behaviour.

Personally I think the fastback is the better looking car plus I'm not a soft top lover due to years back having a mini cooper convertible which was garaged most the time but the soft roof started to show flaws after 4 years and that wasnt made by ford at flat rock special school.

Some people have that drop top itch, I suppose I've done it so fair play go get one of it floats your boat. I've loved the convertible Mustangs I've hired in the states, fantastic and most just the v6

IMG_20160620_121811.jpg

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
As a mustang gt owner I would say if you have kids get a convertible mustang. If you donā€™t need big rear seats buy the nicest, latest, used jag xkr convertible you can find. Thatā€™s what I should have doneā€¦

OP
OP

Doylum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Skoda Fabia
What are your thoughts on Manual or Auto?

Iā€™ve gone for manualā€¦ I tried the auto and it was jumping up and down gears too much for my liking.

Any input?

Sponsored

Eclipsar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NFG Mustang GT
Has to be a manual šŸ‘ all my Mustangā€™s have been manuals and the next one will be as well šŸ˜€

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Going against the grain hereā€¦ I have a manual and wish I bought the auto. Sure a manual is fun on a quiet, dry, Sunday pleasure drive. But itā€™s not fun on the daily commute. Mustangs have loads of slop in the drive line and the manual does nothing to mask back lash in the diff and prop shaft. An auto hides all this from the user. The manual clutch feels is not great even with the aftermarket steeda spring. The manual gearbox is a bit of an old fashioned affair when cold. Shift have to be slow.
Sure the auto is no zf 8hp boxā€¦ if you want a great auto buy something elseā€¦ but I think itā€™s better overall than the manual for most day time day situations and will see you using the car more, not keeping it in the garage as itā€™s too much of a bind to drive it to work/the shops etc.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
"Just Do the Deal"! (Steve, car dealer in Philly)

"Throw Caution to the Wind"

ā€œLife is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." (Helen Keller, who would enjoy the wind in her face)

ā€œExplore, Experience, Then Push Beyond.ā€ (Aaron Lauritsen, 100 Days Drive: The Great North American Road Trip )

"Buy the @$#%@% Vert!" (CVCashmere, renouned Joisey Pinelands Cruiser)

CVCashmere

Siege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible PP1, 2003 Marauder Trilogy S/C #250, 1992 Mustang 5.0 Notch
I think the safety of driving soft tops alone puts me off
"In fact, there were fewer crashes and fatalities in convertibles. An analysis of crash fatality data of convertibles that were up to five years old during 2014-2018 showed that convertibles were involved in 6% fewer crashes per miles traveled and death rates were 11% lower than in conventional cars.

The 2020 Ford Mustang convertible is the only convertible tested recently, according to IIHS spokesman Joe Young, and it earned top "Good" ratings in side, front overlap, and head restraint tests."

https://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1128604_convertibles-just-as-safe-as-cars-with-roofs-iihs

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I tried both and like both. Went auto and find it to be very smooth not jumping around at all, use sport mode most of the time it's definately learned my urban driving style.
Completely agree. My auto doesn't 'jump around' at all either.

Some people do find it hard to drive along a road on a constant throttle, speeding up and slowing down all the time. I suppose a manual disguises it to a certain extent.

Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
What are your thoughts on Manual or Auto?

Iā€™ve gone for manualā€¦ I tried the auto and it was jumping up and down gears too much for my liking.

Any input?
It only does what you ask it to. If you are going along at a steady speed it will not change gear, if you slow down or speed up it will.

OP
OP

Doylum

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Skoda Fabia
Just got a message from the dealer. Estimated production date 11th May 2022. is that good?

If that date sticks and all goes well when might I have the car?

Cheers,
Doylum

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Just got a message from the dealer. Estimated production date 11th May 2022. is that good?

If that date sticks and all goes well when might I have the car?

Cheers,
Doylum
If you get lucky, you may be collecting in July. Mine was built 5th May, and i picked it up 29th June 2017.

By any standards thatā€™s very lucky for sure! Could be as much as 4 months, but hopefully not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
530D
We sold our vert last yearā€¦. I miss it so much :-(.
Great cars and so much fun. We had the roof down whenever it was not raining. Got so many positive comments, some just overheard when we drove past people. Loved the ownership experience and wish I could turn back the clock and never have sold it.

clive1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT convertible
I have had many converibles in fact my first car was an Austin 7. I do not try to justify it I just enjoy the sense of being part of the surroundings and drive accordingly. We have a lovely tunnel near here and at certain speed with the hood down it is a unique sound which is just magical. For every day use I use my Grand Cherokee so only take the vert out on good days. I have installed the smart top which is just terrific and allows me to operate the hood up to 50kph, appprox 30mph.
Sponsored